Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win 98SE Error Messages

by cocothompson / January 16, 2006 12:11 PM PST

I'm using Windows 98 SE, Internet Explorer 6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0 and have 2.80 GB free space. Each time I use Outlook Express and sometimes the Internet I get 2 Error windows and the computer usually freezes:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error Message - sometimes ''abnormal program termination'' and sometimes ''not enough space for thread data'' when I click ok I get a Msimn error message ''...program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down''. I can't close this window and system freezes.
HELP! I purchased Registry Mechanic and PCMightyMax, but this hasn't helped other than to make me think my computer is ready to be turfed out the window! Please HELP!
Many thanks, Louise

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 98SE Error Messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 98SE Error Messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re-install IE6 & Outlook Express
by skycatcher / January 16, 2006 5:52 PM PST

I would advise re-installing Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 from....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en

Do a custom install and make sure that the Outlook Express box is checked as well (I check everything except all the extra languages - just the auto select one). After that, and a reboot, do a Windows Update and get as far up to date as you can. That usually cures all IE6 and Outlook problems but it does take a long time if you are on a 56k dialup....

Collapse -
Backup up anything first?
by cocothompson / January 17, 2006 2:09 AM PST

Do I have to uninstall IE 6 and Outlook Express 6 first? If so, do I back up anything like my address book and messages in OExp? Thanks!

Collapse -
Don't uninstall anything.
by skycatcher / January 17, 2006 4:53 AM PST

Just load over what is there. It's always a good idea to backup all your stuff regularly - PCs and Hard Drives can fail (and do). The address book on 98se is in C:\WINDOWS\Application data\Microsoft\Address Book and your mail is in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{string of numbers here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Don't forget the contents of the My Documents folder as well. I usually backup onto a CD about once a month and after any important work or downloads.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!