Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win 98 with sansa m230 mp3 player

I received a sandisk sansa m230 mp3 player as a gift and discovered that it is designed to work with XP operating system. Unfortunately I have only the basic Win98 operating system and have been able to find a driver that would allow me to download music. I have noted within other discussions at CNET that there is available a driver for Win98Se but have not been able to find something to work with Win98. Can anyone out there give me a hand?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 98 with sansa m230 mp3 player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 98 with sansa m230 mp3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 SE

In reply to: Win 98 with sansa m230 mp3 player

Try to find a Windows 98 upgrade CD (with license key, if applicable) on eBay, if that's the only possibility.

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe a change is needed

In reply to: Re: Windows 98 SE

Have been thinking about just getting a laptop with XP to satisfy my need for the mp3 player and any future issues I might have with future hardware/software not being supported by Win98. Too bad Win98 is being phased out, or so it seems...thanks for the reply.

Bigfishbob

Collapse -
It's been a couple of years...

In reply to: Maybe a change is needed

for any driver or OS update to W98SE. It's been mainly critical updates for I.E. 5.5 and 6.0. W98SE is still widely supported out there. It's just really new PC's that may not have driver support.
XP support supposedly ends in 2007, but who knows if that will be extended.
W98SE support may be extended again?
If your main PC is 500mhz or more, and you have at least a 6gb Hdd, you can have XP.
Did you get the download from my link?

Collapse -
driver for sandisk m230

In reply to: It's been a couple of years...

is apparently available for win98se but I have win98. The link you referenced specified a driver for win98se. The mp3 player came with a software disk that allows for connecting to a XP operating system. I used a friends PC with XP to initially download some music but I have been searching for a driver that will allow the device to work with my desktop PC that is only 400mhz and running Win98.

bigfishbob

Collapse -
you could try it...

In reply to: driver for sandisk m230

see if it rejects your effort. Maybe it's time to upgrade to SE, and you don't need the special 98 to 98se disk, just SE install CD and a tweak.

Collapse -
www.sandisk.com

In reply to: Win 98 with sansa m230 mp3 player

"driver downloads", MP3 players, sdmx1-256, "for W98SE only", USB drivers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.