Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WIN 98 Powering off During Start up

by toddah / March 18, 2005 2:06 AM PST

I've had numerous crazy 98 adventures over the years but this ine has me stumped. It literally turns off during the boot up process in "normal" mode. Safe mode boots right up. I've done every diagnostic I can in safe mode, uninstalled the sound card, second hard drive and cd burner to see if there was a short. I used the emergency rescue disk to recover files and checked for corrupted or changed files. All I did was turn off the computer the night before and turn it on in the morning. It's not connected to the internet and all I had been doing that day was burning copies of files to transfer to my new system. Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN 98 Powering off During Start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN 98 Powering off During Start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just as a test.
by Bob__B / March 18, 2005 3:19 AM PST

I might use msconfig and untick load startup group, just to see what happens.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 18, 2005 8:55 PM PST

1. Create a Bootlog.txt (hidden in root of C:\) file each time the system boots.

Warning: "FWIW", users should ensure their system is set to show all file extensions (Explorer/My Computer, View, Folder Options, View), and place a dot in the radio button for Show all files. If a check mark exist in the box for Hide file extension for known file types, remove it. Click the box near the top of the applet labeled, "Like Current Folder" (Click to see an example screenshot), click Apply, and then click OK to Exit.

Note: When examining this file in any text editor -- Notepad in Windows, or simply typing the following command at the MS-DOS prompt and then pressing Enter (clicking the icon in front of MS_DOS Prompt in the top colored bar provides MS-DOS commands), look for lines ending in LoadFailure which may indicate either a device or software problem.

edit bootlog.txt

2. The article [Q127970] discusses the hidden Bootlog.txt file located in the root folder, describes content, and explains certain items that may be indicated as a Load Failed which does not necessarily indicate a problem.

3. The article [Q118579] explains the root folder text file Msdos.sys set with Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes, that this file is set to be at least 1,024 bytes in length, and describes the [Options] section that contain the settings and their meaning. Instructions are contained which allows a user to set certain options which creates the Bootlog.txt file during boot.

4. The purpose of creating a Bootlog.txt file is to catch and identify abnormalities. When starting the computer, either use the Startup Menu to create a one-time Bootlog.txt file or change the MSDOS.SYS file for Windows which will need adjustment to the line BootMenu=0. Please be advised that Windows will boot much slower each time a Bootlog.txt file is processed. Once troubleshooting elapses, undo the changes.

a. BootMenu=Boolean
Default: 0

Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting is 0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95" appears, (or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.

Note: If this line is missing, then add it to the MSDOS.SYS file following the entry of BootMenuDefault=?

b. BootMenuDefault=(a number)

Default: 1 if the system is running correctly; 3 if the system hung in the previous instance

Purpose: Use this setting to set the default menu item for startup.

c. If either or both entries are missing, add them.

Note: For the Number to be entered as the parameter for BootMenuDefault, the specific numeric character from your system Start menu will have to be entered. Simply boot the computer and hold the Ctrl key until it's displayed and note the number for use.

5. Otherwise from the Windows interface if possible, click Start, Run, type msconfig, and then press Enter. Click the Advanced button, and select the item Enable Startup Menu where you may select to create a Bootlog.txt file during a certain boot, and you have to contend with a selection each time the system is booted or until it is removed sometime later.

6. "Boot Log Analyser, Vision 4 Ltd" can be downloaded from this link and is highly recommended.

a. It is very small tool which can be used to help ascertain what may be causing boot delays and device activation problems during boot when used for viewing a Bootlog.txt file (boot root) which lists item tasked and includes the time and duration required for each event processed.

b. Better yet, from the time and duration an event takes, a user can determine which may be the specific cause for slowing the booting process.

c. There are different options available for the displayed items, it's fast, it's easy to use, and -- best of all, offered free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?