Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win 98 drivers for Intel 915 chipset mother board.

by banshdharm / August 20, 2005 6:47 PM PDT

Windows 98 is still essential for many computer users. Intel not supporting Win 98 in its 915 and higher chipset based mother boards is not totally justifiable. Anyway, is there any way to find appropriate drivers for Win 98 installation in a 915 based mobo. The installation has been completed but features like IDE devices,audio/video capability etc are not usable. Can some body help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 98 drivers for Intel 915 chipset mother board.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 98 drivers for Intel 915 chipset mother board.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System configuration.
by banshdharm / August 20, 2005 6:59 PM PDT

Original Intel 915 GAVL mother board, 2.66 GHz LGA 775 intel processor (506), Transcend DDR400 256MB, Seagate 40 GB SATA HDD, LG combo drive, Philips 107E monitor etc. The installation was done by copying setup files of Win 98 in to the HDD. But on completion of the O/S IDE CD ROM drive stopped functioning. The O/S is still usable but with limitations of standard VGA, no audio and no CD ROM drive.The chipset inf files were installed from HDD but graphics and sound drivers are not accepted by the system though the LAN driver could install successfully.Its a dual booting PC with Win 98 (limited functionality) in drive C and XP pro (fully functional) in drive D.

Collapse -
Did you look at intel.com?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2005 10:01 PM PDT

You can scream all you want but 98 and DOS based OSes are dead. Here's why. The people who write drivers want a salary. The company that makes a board that employs the driver writers must produce a profit. Let me ask this: Will you pay for the drivers? Probably not.

In closing, why did you buy a board that didn't have 98 support when it was important to you?

Bob

Collapse -
Yes I did.
by banshdharm / August 21, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

But Intel does not provide Win 98 drivers for these mother boards. Are there other companies providing drivers for this mobo? Any idea will be appreciated. For hardware point of view DOS and Win 98 are important even though these may not matter for recent users.

Collapse -
Dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did.

There are two simple issues here.

1. 98 is now well off the support map from many perspectives. You can complain all you want but I can't obtain the development kits for drivers anymore. We have such from a few years ago, but it's dead and unavailable unless you want to take the trip to Redmond.

2. It's the money. It's just not going to pay off making 98 drivers. You'll see this more and more.

In closing, don't buy such things if this is important to you.

Bob

Collapse -
it's there at Intel...
by reefurbb / August 25, 2005 12:44 AM PDT

I went to www.intel.com, downloads, chipsets, desktop, 915 Express family, w98se. Go to the archived stuff and choose the zip file.

Collapse -
Only the inf file.
by banshdharm / September 1, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: it's there at Intel...

Yes, only the inf file for Win 98 is there. But I am looking for drivers of Audio, Video, and other mother board resources. I got the LAN driver from there and it works fine in Win 98.If you can locate the drivers I am looking for, please paste the link. Thanks anyway for excercising on this.

Collapse -
inf file contains southbridge drivers also...
by reefurbb / September 2, 2005 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Only the inf file.

usually, both the large and small, northbridge and southbridge, chips on the mobo are used for main chipset stuff (mobo resources)and video also. Some mobo's have a separate chip for video, some require a separate AGP or PCI card. Look at the mobo for names like audio (ess, audiovox) and video (cirrus, S3.
A harder search would be for the whole mobo itself, or the PC.

Collapse -
Old vs, New
by pcguru4u / September 24, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

Logically speaking from a technical standpoint it does not make sense to have opted for the latest in hardware technology only to try to support it with an aging OS. I understand the quest for saving a buck or two, but will that decision pan out in the long run? Hardware is only as good as the software to support it and using your hardearned cash to buy cutting edge components is one thing. But to support it with a dwindling resource such as Win98 is perplexing. Eventually you are going to have driver related issues that will negate the benefit of trying to go the cheap route. Better yourself and your hardware purchase and spring for an OEM version of XP from NewEgg (for instance) Or go the Linux route if you would rather not M$ it. You will still have to do homework with a Linux distro with your new mobo, but in any case you are going to have to upgrade that component of your PC. To not do so is only holding you back from the full potential of your mobo purchase.

Collapse -
Win 98 drivers for Intel 915 chipset mother board.
by john1240 / August 4, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

Actually 915 motherboard is having the same device used for video and audio in 815 board.
so u can use the 815 drivers to use for 98

Collapse -
woo
by GODhack / August 6, 2009 4:20 PM PDT

>Windows 98 is still essential for many computer users.
Why?

Hardware manufactures do not have time and money to support OS if OS maker itself do not support that OS.
---
Use Linux. All Intel mother boards work fine with it.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you notice the dates above?
by Coryphaeus / August 6, 2009 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: woo
Collapse -
yes
by GODhack / August 7, 2009 2:23 AM PDT

Yes. Happy
But I talk about today myself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.