Windows 7 forum

Question

Win 7 will download comlete files

by Evzilla / January 20, 2014 7:57 AM PST

I need some help on an unusual problem, I think, as I have not been to learn anything by searches.. I cannot download files using IE 11 or Firefox 26. The files are constantly interrupted. In IE, I can download the file if I watch the download and keep resuming it whenever it stops. In Firefox, I can resume downloading only by closing and reopening Firefox. The kind of file seems not to matter. I have the same trouble with drivers, updates, linux iso downloads, mp4 files from Youtube, etc. The site also doesn't seem to matter. Very small files will sometimes complete before they are interrupted. At first I thought it was related to flash player. But I have the same problem with or without flash player. I have other PC's running Windows XP and Linux, and they don't have this problem.

Specs: AMD X4 9750, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32 bit, Avast A/V, DSL internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 will download comlete files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 will download comlete files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Something odd there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 8:08 AM PST

The odd OS choice and more makes me wonder if the maker supplied you a good OS install.

Try some other OS as a test but my bet is some malware or any "download accelerator."
Bob

Collapse -
Malware - Download manager - Other OS
by Evzilla / January 20, 2014 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Something odd there.

A quick scan by Malwarebytes showed a clean system.

I am using Download helper in Firefox, but I have had no trouble on other systems. No other managers.
I did try Chrome, but that had the same problem.
My system is dual booting with Ubuntu 12.04 on a separate drive. Ubuntu does not have the problem.
My original Win7 install was flaky, so I did a clean install with an iso from MS

Collapse -
do you use
by itsdigger / January 20, 2014 9:13 AM PST

Download helper with IE also ?

Collapse -
Then forget DOWNLOAD HELPERS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 9:20 AM PST

I've lost count of the times....

Collapse -
I see you also
by itsdigger / January 20, 2014 9:23 AM PST

use Avast and Zone Alarm.

Are you running 2 Anti-Virus programs?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Problem Was LAN Driver
by Evzilla / January 25, 2014 3:09 AM PST

After much work, trial and error, etc., the problem was the LAN driver. After resetting tcp/ip to no avail, I installed wifi, which didn't fix the problem until I unplugged the ethernet cable, then all was good. Neither the windows driver or the latest driver from the motherboard site worked. I had to drop back to the driver that was shipped with the motherboard. Now, all is good.

Motherboard is ECS A740GM-M V7.
Realtek LAN driver is ver. 7.17.304.2010

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Win 7 will NOT download complete files
by Evzilla / January 20, 2014 8:01 AM PST

I missed the word NOT in the title. sorry

Collapse -
Answer
something seems weird
by itsdigger / January 20, 2014 8:44 AM PST

are you downloading from torrents?

Digger

Collapse -
No Torrents
by Evzilla / January 20, 2014 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: something seems weird

I am not using any torrents for downloads.

Collapse -
Answer
Reset Firefox
by James Denison / January 20, 2014 9:37 PM PST

go to Help, then Troubleshooting, then clk on the Reset button.

Collapse -
Reset
by Evzilla / January 20, 2014 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Reset Firefox

I've tried that. No help.

Collapse -
Reset Firefox Again
by Evzilla / January 21, 2014 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Reset

Ive reset Firefox again. to no avail.

One new piece of info---- I cannot save a Home Page. It will keep it only until I restart Firefox, then revert to the Mozilla start page.

Collapse -
download version 25 of Firefox
by James Denison / January 21, 2014 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Reset Firefox Again

Run it's install file, let it overwrite it all, see if the problem persists. I just had to downgrade from version 26 myself because they've change the download program on the newer one and I prefered the previous download program. I had no problem going backward, all my settings remained, just the program files changed.

Collapse -
since this is related just to this computer
by James Denison / January 20, 2014 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Reset Firefox

and happens across multiple browsers, it could be your router has some policy set against your MAC or IP address which limits it's access to internet. Firewall access area is where to look for that in the router program. Since the Ubuntu has no problem, supposing it's using the same MAC instead of a spoofed one, then might be an IP address problem alone.

Collapse -
Router
by Evzilla / January 21, 2014 12:01 AM PST

I use other PC's on the same router, both wired and wifi. Do you think it might be related to the specific address for this PC? Do you think the router would restrict just this PC?

Collapse -
it could
by James Denison / January 21, 2014 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: Router

who controls the router in your home? Maybe someone played around in it with firewall settings and messed things up just for the IP address you are using.

You could force a static IP address on your computer if you wanted, moving it from whatever DHCP keeps assigning it. Although DHCP is "dynamic", what I've seen is the same computers seem to get the same IP address almost all the time due to long lease setting, so when they go back online that IP address is still there waiting for them. This would be the internal IP address the router assigns.

Check router settings and if you find nothing there, then check that windows version's TCP/IP settings.

Collapse -
Router, Extensions, etc
by Evzilla / January 22, 2014 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: it could

I am focusing on Firefox as I try things. I have sequentially deactivated my security extensions and DownloadHelper and still the downloads stall. Turning off the router firewall made no difference. I have tried downloaqding with, and without, a home group established and still the problem persists.

I did find this link (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/21f2c197-b926-4625-a0ca-efadc4c61048/large-internet-downloads-stall-at-random?forum=w7itpronetworking) that seems to describe the problem. In that case the, the problem was related to SMB2,but I don't know anything about SMB2.

Collapse -
Deactivated is not removal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2014 2:26 AM PST

Again, I've lost track of the number of times these download accelerators create trouble. Some to the point of a wrecked OS. If the owner won't remove them, we finalize the bill or forgive and move on.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem then is truly
by James Denison / January 22, 2014 2:48 AM PST

with that particular computer and it's OS settings. I just had a fight with Windows 7 networking myself, and am just this side of totally hating it. I found the easiest way around things W7 was trying to force on me was to mess around in the device configuration settings themselves. What should have been easy enough in setting the network group name became a goose chase but eventually I managed. I remember my older daughter had an unpleasant experience in trying to get her wifi to network here since I don't use a default "homegroup" name for my LAN, even with all the key code info and so on entered correctly. My wife's wifi wouldn't work under windows, even with the device files, so I tossed the Zydas third party software on there and forgot about letting windows handle it, and that's an old wireless it shouldn't have had a problem with.

Collapse -
Clean Reinstall - Only MS software
by Evzilla / January 24, 2014 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Problem then is truly

I have done a clean reinstall of Win7 and have run updates and installed MS Security Essentials. These went smoothly. I've tried twice to download Avas using IE11. Both instances stalled. Each time I paused the stalled download and tried to resume. Neither would resume. I'll reboot and try again.

Collapse -
Still Stalling. Would 64 bit be any better?
by Evzilla / January 24, 2014 8:30 AM PST

Is there any reason to think the 64 bit version would work?

How about Windows 8?

Collapse -
Your type of connection is?
by mchainmchain / January 24, 2014 4:25 PM PST

Wired or wifi?

Onboard (built-in) CAT5 Network Adapter or Motherboard slot Network Adapter?

If motherboard (third-party network adapter) make and model?

If wifi, make and model and usb dongle or internal wifi?

I'd check for a defective network adapter before I went the fresh install route of either installing Win 7 or Win 8. Type of bit (32-bit or 64-bit) only matters if your system is only capable of running 32-bit; attempting to install a 64-bit operating system on a 32-bit system will not work.

At this point, I'm thinking this is a hardware issue or a bad CAT5 cable.

Collapse -
Bad LAN Driver
by Evzilla / January 25, 2014 3:14 AM PST

Neither the Windows driver or latest driver from motherboard Mfr site worked. I had to use the driver distributed with the motherboard.

Motherboard ;ECS A740GM-M V7
Realtek Driver: 7.17.304.2010

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?