Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Win 7 upgrade from vista

by joelaher / August 26, 2011 11:42 AM PDT

I purchased the Windows 7 upgrade for multiple compluters. I accidentally loaded the 32 bit disc on my 64 bit laptop. There seem to be a lot of issues with windows 7 on this laptop. Can I install the 64 bit on top of the 32 or doesn't it matter between the two? I understand that it takes more memory to run the 64 bit. yes? Can you uninstall the 32 bit version. I understand that the W 7 upgrade builds on the vista platform. What a mess.

joelaher has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 upgrade from vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 upgrade from vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by joelaher

Collapse -
There is no upgrade process from 32 to 64 or 64 to 32.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 11:55 AM PDT

I found Windows 7 32 to run just as well as 64 on 2GB RAM so I have always installed the 64 bit version.

Which laptop? Maybe there are drivers to install?

Collapse -
My experiences on 64 bit with 2GB RAM is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

Positive. I can guess there is some debate about it but here it works just as well and I don't have to fret about wiping out the install if I install more RAM.

Plan ahead.

Collapse -
by lushys / August 26, 2011 12:10 PM PDT

The register is a small amount of storage used by the CPU where the CPU
keeps the data it needs to access the quickest in order for optimum
computer performance. The bit designation refers to the width of the
register, thus a 64-bit register can hold more data than a 32-bit
register which in turn holds more than 16-bit and 8-bit registers. The
more ample the space in the CPU's register system the more it can
handle, especially in terms of utilizing system memory. A CPU with a
32-bit register, for example, has a ceiling of 232 addresses
within the register and is thus limited to accessing 4GB of RAM. This
may have seemed like an enormous volume of RAM when they were hashing
out register sizes 40 years ago but it's a rather inconvenient limit for
modern computers.

You shouldnt see a degradation in performance installing 64bit on a 32bit machine. I'm assuming you, like many users these days (not meant with ill intent) dont bother installing manufaterer Chipset drivers anymore and thus use basically low end drivers from MS's database.

Configure your system properly with all the proper drivers. Learn what services and MS options to disable. Try not to use AERO if you dont need it and remember with the changes in Windows from the NT Kernal to Vista+ that you will always see 50% of your ram being utilitized no matter what. However dont worry about this. Most people also dont know that software runs from memory, not off your hard disk. So obviously the more memory the better but this is debatable in one perspective. Just throwing in memory is not the answer. How you throw in memory is.

For example you will get better performance from 2x 2GB sticks of RAM then 1x512 and 1 x1GB for example. Also, remember that your MOBO may only support 2GB, so research this first.

Last but not least, you can use USB keys to improve performance by utilizing for "speedburst" (in laymens terms)

I wouldnt suggest going to 64 just because, but if you have > 4GB of ram and are using software that takes advantage of 84bit architecture (rare). 32bit should, for the most part serve you fine.

What is your intended purpose including all future intended purposes?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?