General discussion

WIN 7 upgrade from Vista

My Vista installation is getting very slow and probably has some errors on the C:\drive. Should I re-do my Vista installation before upgrading to WIN7? Will a WIN7 "custom installation" re-format the drive? I hate to migrate to WIN7 on top of an "ailing" Vista install. Thanks for any advice.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: WIN 7 upgrade from Vista
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WIN 7 upgrade from Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Win 7 upgrade

"My Vista installation is getting very slow and probably has some errors on the C:\drive"
Run checkdisk for drive errors. If drive has errors, then not much point in putting a new OS on a dodgy drive.
If they are system errors and you want to install Windows 7 upgrade, no need to reinstall Vista.
Instead of doing an in place upgrade, boot with the Windows 7 dvd and select custom instalation, then select drive tools and format the drive using the Windows 7 tools. Windows 7 does the upgrade compliance check on bootup.
Don't forget to backup before you start.

- Collapse -
All backed up

I have all data backed up to usb drive and all software and win7 drivers on usb and cd. So, you are saying after I boot WIN7 upgrade, it will offer me the option to reformat drive and proceed with full install?
Thanks!

- Collapse -
Yes

Yes. Upgrading from an OS experiencing problems will, at best, carry the problems over to the upgraded OS. More often though, the upgrade process makes things even worse.

Either fix up your current setup or back things up and do a clean install.

- Collapse -
Custom Installation...

You will want to do a custom (also called clean) installation of Windows 7. This means you are wiping your computer and essentially starting new. I recommend running the Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system is ready for Windows 7 (it most likely is since you are running Vista, but it is still good practice to run the Upgrade Advisor).

Also, you CAN purchase the upgrade to Windows 7 and choose to do a custom installation - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7-custom.

Cheers,
Cassandra

CNET Forums

Forum Info