General discussion

win 7 ultimate can't see my server 2003 std r2 computer

I have recently (2 months) aquired an Acer aspire T180 reconditioned. I removed vista and decided to install Server 2003 Standard R2 Edition 32-bit. Now my vista laptop could see the Acer no problems. Could remote, couldn't join domin as it was home premium, could share folders wirelessly. Was working fine.

I also recently (about a week) upgraded my laptop (that i have had for 3-4 years) from vista HP to 7 Ultimate (still 32-bit)Now, my 7 laptop cannot ping, remote or share files with the server let alone join the domain.

The current networking system of my machine is as follows:

255.0.0.0 intternal subnet (class A network
Both machines have wireless cards
Both machines ethernet ports are disabled to save resources
Server is acting as a DHCP/DNS server with JanaServer2 proxy

Currently i can only log in remotely via Logmein. (which doesn't allow you to transfer files between different machines)

Can anyone help pls?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: win 7 ultimate can't see my server 2003 std r2 computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: win 7 ultimate can't see my server 2003 std r2 computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
extra info

forgot to mention. my laptop is currently dual-booting my old vista HP installation and the new 7 ultimate installtion.

- Collapse -
I was following you until you wrote.

"Server is acting as a DHCP/DNS server with JanaServer2 proxy"

This is what I would call a configuration issue that who ever created this mess should fix it. While interesting I find that what works best is the stock setups.
Bob

- Collapse -
but vista was seeing it fine

literally. Like I said my vista can see the server, but 7 can't. do you know why.

- Collapse -
Why not use the router ...

as a DHCP server for the laptop? It would connect to the network just fine.

Kees

- Collapse -
Why.

Here's what I know. Everytime we set up something different from a stock setup we create a support problem. That proxy for example is not stock so I'd look at the person who set that up and call them to the task of fixing it. If they refuse, stop calling them and remove that proxy.

Bob

- Collapse -
This is a home network: 1 server, 1 laptop. No company.

Two people were involved in the setup of Jana. Me and my network-orientated friend. We use Jana at my college and it doesn't have problems. So we set it up at my house so can test it and also learn how ton use it. My friend is very good at networking and network paraphenalia.

I also tried disabling the proxy, but the laptop still couldn't see the server. So I don't think it can be that.

In reply to Kees B, I can see the network,(internet and router) but my laptop just can't see the server. making the router a DHCP won't make a difference. In fact I don't even know why I have an internal DHCP system. I use static IP addressing.

My thoughts are that 7 ultiamte x86 can't run in a 2003 standard x86 domain. Something different about the architecture I think.

My tutor syays its because Im using a wireless domain system. He says that a wired system is way better, I should be using a red/green card system on my server and then connect the green card to a switch along with the laptop. He says thats why it wouldn't work. However, my tutor know hardly anything about networks (more of a hardware technican) and he's also one of these that likes to make people think he knows what hje's talking about when he doesn't. Does this method however have any merit. Could this be plausible. Because I don't want to waste money trying it.

- Collapse -
Re: network

You say your laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate can't ping that server using its static IP. That can't be an issue of incompatibility of Windows 7 with Windows Server 2003, because the results of the ping are independent of the source OS.

So if these 2 things work:
1. Ping the servers IP-address from another laptop.
2. Ping any outside Internet address (that's pingable from another laptop) from this laptop (when directly connected to your ISP).
the combination should work also:
3. Ping the servers IP-address from this laptop.

It's mysterious.

Kees

- Collapse -
So it's a home system.

Time to toss out that server and just use the normal setup of router and PCs.

Maybe you need to state the goal here. Most want their systems to work. Maybe you want to learn networking but I can't tell.
Bob

- Collapse -
both

I wanna learn networking, but I also want my system to work. I want to be able to store all my files on my server where they will be more secure.

For future prospects. I want to be able to host my own Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) so I can transfer files from wherever I am when I want to. So I really need my server.

- Collapse -
Then we know a few things.

1. If you select a public network, you may wipe out the LAN connections.

2. The classic router and such setup would work fine. It appears you want a more complicated system and if so, you should get the Server Administration books and start reading.

3. You can use the simple workgroup method and copy your files up to the SFTP server as well as port forward to the SFTP server so no need to fiddle with that proxy.
Bob

- Collapse -
proxy isn't for me.

the proxy is used for blocking sites tha i no to be dangerous like limewire from other people who use my network from using them. i have domain admin rights and as such, don't go through the proxy. plus, my proxy is set in group policy to run only with users in specific group.

it takes up virtual RAM though, which isn't good as i have only 768mb ddr2 available. (256mb is shared video memory)

does anyone kno of a great free server 2003 anti-virus that doesn't provide loads of false-positives and has great real-time protect without consuming lumps of RAM i no of clamwin, but do u reccomend any others? currently im running forticlient endpoint security. but the ram hog and loads of false positives make it unsatisfactory.

thanks for ur help people

- Collapse -
W7 Pro and Ultimate

do work as members in Windows domains 2003 and 2008.

You didn't mention how you set up the W7 firewall. Is it Home, Work or Public? It does make a difference in your connectivity to domain resources.

- Collapse -
tried both.

Set it up originally as a home network. I then disconnected, removed my wireless networks cache and then rejonied to my network and selected work. There was no difference. I'm yet to try the public network, but I don't think that should make a differene should it (trying public I mean) becauuse that is for when ur out-and-about connecting to public networks such as internet cafes and wireless hotspots.

- Collapse -
You flew over some basic

networking and domain setup info, assuming we are on the same page with you. We can't be until you tell:

1. You have a router/switch right?
2. Server is wired (not wireless) to r/s and has a static addr.
3. You are NOT using server as router
4. You have set up server to be the first AD controller *and* DNS server in forest. You can have a separate DHCP server.
5. You have set up a user account with password in the domain and you are logging into W7 client using same user name/password

If you have done the above, there is no reason why it can't service clients with XP, Vista and W7(all flavors).

Q. why do you have a wireless in server instead of using an AP for clients?

- Collapse -
If your friend is ...
"...very good at networking and network paraphenalia" as you state, it is time to get this friend involved in the non-standard setup problem.

One thing to check though is to make sure network discovery is turned on on that Win 7 laptop. You pretty much KNOW discovery is the problem if you cam map a server drive on the Win 7 laptop using Windows Explorer and \\Server\Share
- Collapse -
he showed me how to set it up.

he is stumped why the laptop is not seeing my server.. he tried resetting dns records on the server, flushing the dns cache, changing ip dsettings to dynamic as opposed to static. he also checked beteen home and public network settings and it still didn't see it.

i may have 2 format my laptop and put xp professional on it or could tjhe problem lie in the fact that i'm dual booting vista home premium alongside 7 ultimate and the two systems are conflicting?

Master320

- Collapse -
If we use a stock setup.

We could set it up normally then add the server at a fixed IP.

To let the machines on the LAN find it, we would put the server IP in the client's HOSTS file.

Very simple and well supported. What you have setup is taxing you and your support. Why not go with something you can support?
Bob

- Collapse -
im at college and want to learn different things...

I wanted to learn how to use and setup a server because i wanna be a network/server administrator for a job.

I also want to keep my personal file more secure

I also want (in the future) to setup and FTP or SFTP to transfer my files to and from wherever I am.

So unless its life or death, I really wanna stick with the server. Maybe I should start over again though.

What do you mean by putting the servers IP in the clients hosts file. how do u do that and what would be the end result?

- Collapse -
what does...

stock setup mean?

- Collapse -
A stock setup is

One that you see all over. Internet to your router, then machines connected to that router. But since you have a server you put that at a fixed IP and since you want other machines to find it, add it to the HOSTS file.

You write you want to be an admin, then you can do that. Just take the classes, read the books and experiment. But for now, why not go with something a little less exotic?
Bob

- Collapse -
Let me clarify

1. I currently have just router that provides the internet, no switch.
2. Server is currently wireless. Not wired (what do u mean by r/s)
3. The server is not acting as a router
The server is the first AD controller and DNS server in the forest
4. I have an account on the AD named 007 and my W7 laptop has an account called 007 at local level. Both have the same password.
5. My internal Network (laptop and server) are using a Class A 10.0.0. IP system whilst my ISP is also using a class A network.

A. Because I don't have enough room or money to install cabling from the upstairs to the downstairs to connect with a wire. I also don't hae enough room or money to buy a switch and then have loads of wires on the floor. My bedroom is only small and as such, I have to make sacrifices.

My clients do get internet from my router via the Secondary DNS settings.

Q. When u say AP, do you mean Access Point?

Q. Is the fact that my IP addressing system is on a Class A network be the problem. Should it be a C network? (192.168.0.1 e.t.c)

- Collapse -
Class A or C doesn't matter

You cannot be authenticated as a domain user by AD if your acct on laptop is local. You need to have a group acct with same user name and pw as the user acct in domain.

I assume you have already joined the laptop to domain, so you would logon at laptop as DOMAIN_NAME\USER_NAME, not as LOCAL_MACHINE\USER_NAME.

- Collapse -
solved the main problem

I managed to get my laptop to see my server last night. I had a brainwave and talked it over with my networking friend. The problem was that as I was dual-booting. I had to diffwerent IP addresses on the same wireless card. 10.0.0.26 for vista and 10.0.0.50 for W7. So the server was confused and was trying to retrieve the IP addresss from the MAC address, but was recieveing 2 IP addresses, so it didn't allow a connection.

The steps I took to solve this were as follows.

1. Removed the DHCP scope on the server and made my router the DHCP server.
2. Set my IP and DNS system on vista and 7 to obtain DNS automatically.
3. Cold-booted the machine (turned off, waited 30 secs and the restarted)
4. pinged my servers IP. Results were 4 packets sent, 4 packets recieved.
5. Pinged my Servers name. 4 sent 4 recieved.
6. Pinged my server DNS. 4 sent- 0 recieved. Eventually we found the cause to be that the server needed a reboot and the dns cache had to be deleted. (ipconfig/ flushdns)
7. tried joining W7 to the domain and then still nothing.
8. Stopped the DNS server temporarily (okay. ssecondary dns is set to the router)
9. Delted the dns caches on vista, W7 and the server.
10. Restarted the DNS server
11. Re-booted the router
12. Re-booted the laptop.
13. Then the computer joined the domain, could remote in and also ping the dns.

My current problem is that now, my folder re-direction isn't working and also I can't see any of the shares (but it is on the domain)

Also, the connection to the router loads faster on the laptop now iis obtaining aIP automatically.

Hope this was useful. Still need help with the shares and folder re-direction problem though.

Master3203

CNET Forums

Forum Info