Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Win 7 locking up in sleep mode?

by cgarrity / June 8, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

When I first installed Win 7 RC about a month ago, I was initially very impressed with what I saw. My computer was "perky or snappy". However recently it has started to slow down loading programs, etc.

Now, the last couple of days, it has locked up in the sleep mode. I assume its in the sleep mode as I left it running when I left. Previously, all I had to do to bring it out of sleep was to move the mouse a couple of inches.

Now, the only way to wake the computer is to hit the reset switch and do a reboot, pausing at the screen about "safe mode-normal mode". After continuing the boot process, it works normally except that it has lost the snappy feeling.

I haven't loaded ANY games on the system. The only 2 programs I have on the machine are Office Pro and Quicken.

I hate to say it, but it looks like I'm sinking into a Vista like slime pool. If this is what to expect when the program comes out in October, I won't be buying it.

This morning I've turned off going into sleep mode to see if that prevents lockups.

Very disappointed at the moment.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 locking up in sleep mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 locking up in sleep mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sleep mode is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2009 6:08 AM PDT

Quite a mean feat to accomplish on some machines. I've run into:

BIOS needed an update.
CMOS battery was on the edge.
RAM failure (in sleep our RAM is keep alive so RAM issues can exist in Sleep but no where else which confuses some.)
BIOS settings (try S1 versus S3).

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
What's happening when it's sleeping?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 11, 2009 8:00 AM PDT

Are there any programs left on and open? What does the system usage look like right before this happens? These are things that can help us diagnose the problem. Unfortunately, since Win7 is till in pre-release form, getting tech support from Microsoft tech support isn't an option.

Cheers,

Collapse -
Mine would do the same
by Steven Haninger / June 11, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

or I'd come back and find it had restarted and was at the login screen. It seems to be related to power saver settings. Mine's a desktop so I just changed set them to not sleep or shut down the drive. It hasn't happened since. I've never even had good luck with laptops that just hibernate and are never rebooted. Eventually something stops working.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply...
by cgarrity / June 11, 2009 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine would do the same

I think you right about "power saving" problems with Win 7. Since I've changed my setting to NOT go into sleep mode, I haven't had the same problem.

Still, it makes me wonder if Win 7 is just another "Vista". When I first installed the RC, it was "popping". Now it seems to have slowed down like a previous Window installation. What makes me wonder is that I only have about 1 1/2 months on the clock with it. From what I see so far, I don't think I will be inclined to run out and BUY a copy of this program when it is released as my XP Pro edition works fine.

Collapse -
Just installed within the past week
by Steven Haninger / June 11, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

I've never used Vista but am quite comfortable with XP. My first desire when W7 first loaded was to make it look more like XP. That won't happen. Mine's on a 6 year old home built P4 with 1 gig of RAM. I was afraid it would be a dog but it's not too bad yet. Time will tell. I've actually gone and wasted money ordering a couple more gigs of RAM to see what difference that will make. I'm sure a true multi-core processor would add noticeably to performance. I'll probably be in the market for a new rig within the next year. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get the hang of W7 and do like some of it's features. What I'm not crazy about is how it absolutely locks me out of some of the folders within my own user account. I can't even copy/paste files into some of those...or maybe haven't figured out how to yet. I won't put it on my old rig but will probably get W7 on a shiny new box when the time comes. It's hard to believe that XP is near end of life. It seems that, just as soon as any software or hardware item gets it's bugs worked out fairly well, out comes a new product that we know won't be at it's best for a while.

Collapse -
For those access issues...
by John.Wilkinson / June 11, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

You may want to disable User Account Control (UAC) by going Start->Control Panel->User Accounts->User Accounts->Turn User Account Control on or off and unchecking the box. Unfortunately, that is still necessary to complete some otherwise routine tasks.

John

Collapse -
Thanks...eventually found that slider
by Steven Haninger / June 11, 2009 7:27 PM PDT

The attempt was just to copy/paste my FF bookmarks from my XP profile to W7 profile for the browser. No way I could get to it, take ownership, anything. It was necessary to import them first to IE and then from IE to FF. Having skipped Vista will probably slow the transition to W7. That's to be expected. I also skipped MS Bob. That was a blessing. Happy

Collapse -
Continuing Saga....
by cgarrity / June 12, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

I changed my power options to NEVER shut off the hard drive and I haven't locked up since then. However, the computer seems to be running slower and slower (only had Win 7 installed for about 45 days). I'm wondering about spyware, etc). It?s almost like I?ve had a Windows system that has been running for about a year and is starting to bog down where only a complete reinstall will pep it back up to new.

Also, another annoying thing that keeps happening is intermittently a windows pops up asking me where I want to ?view? the contents of my external drive.

I?m thinking of trying one more install of Win 7 to see if it happens again. If it does, the program will not be put back on this system.

Collapse -
"Also, another annoying thing that keeps happening is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2009 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Continuing Saga....

"Also, another annoying thing that keeps happening is intermittently a windows pops up asking me where I want to ?view? the contents of my external drive."

This is a great clue. I missed what machine this is but try a REAR USB port. Or at least another port.

Then try the old USB power setting change (see google.)

And a final fix that some find annoying or helps is to place an USB 2.0 HUB inbetween the machine and the hard disk.
Goog hunting,
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob...
by cgarrity / June 14, 2009 12:57 AM PDT

Bob,

I'll try moving the external USB cord to another port. After reading the google thought you had, that makes sense. As far as I can remember, I didn't have the problem with my external HD intermittently popping up the "view" option window while using XP Pro.

Another question that maybe I should start a new thread on involves reinstalling Win 7. The question is "Can I use the same registration number now?" I seem to remember that there was a relatively short period to install Win 7 RC.

Collapse -
The RC is good through June 1, 2010...
by John.Wilkinson / June 14, 2009 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob...

You can install/activate it as many times between now and then as you like, but on June 1, 2010 it will cease to function. Thus, you'll need to erase it and install another operating system by that point.

John

Collapse -
Win 7 expiration date (RC)
by cgarrity / June 14, 2009 2:21 PM PDT

I just looked on a MS site and it said the RC will be available through July '09. I realize that it will start to expire in Mar and will drop dead in Jun. During Mar and Jun it will be mostly worthless since the computer will reboot every two hours.

My original post was about the registration code that came with my RC edition. I think it said that it would only be good for 30 days and I was really wondering if that applied to a copy that had be registered. In other words, will I need to get a new registration code since I installed the RC over 30 days ago.

Collapse -
It doesn't matter...
by John.Wilkinson / June 14, 2009 4:28 PM PDT

The product key is valid through July 1, 2010 as well; there is no 30-day restriction. You can also register for a new product key at any time between now and then through the following Windows 7 webpage: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?