Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Win 7 forgets my wireless settings

by hyphagon / September 11, 2012 3:58 AM PDT

Hi,

Every time I boot the PC I have to re-enter my wireless connection settings as it forgets them from the previous session. I do this by going to Manage wireless networks in the Network and sharing center and clicking Add - Manually create a network profile. Then complete the rest of the form including both tick boxes (start automatically and even if not broadcasting). Then it all connects fine. But when I turn off and reboot I go back into Manage wireless networks and my network is no longer there.

Extra info:

Running Win 7 x64 professional.
Using a nano Edimax wireless usb dongle.
The network I connect to has WEP security and has a hidden SSID.
My previous network from another router I cant delete from Manage wireless networks. It disappears till I reboot then its there again.
I can only connect to the network by adding it manually. If I try and connect using the icon on the toolbar and selecting 'Other network' then entering the SSID and password it wont connect.
I am using windows to configure my network connection (zero something maybe...) not the Edimax software.

Many Thanks

hyphagon has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 forgets my wireless settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 forgets my wireless settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hyphagon

Collapse -
I doubt if there is a solid fix to hidden SSID WEP networks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

At the office we had a client that thought hiding the SSID helped security. Since our rep was on the line and a big contract I suggested this unit -> http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/black-usb-wifi-adapter-with-5dbi-antenna-realtek-8187l-chipset

So with the tool in hand, we proceeded to connect to their hidden network and easily get past WEP in about 2 minutes.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/ covers this again.

When you are ready to be secure, try it with the SSID broadcasting and WPA2 AES personal security.
Bob

Collapse -
still doesn't work with SSID broadcasting
by hyphagon / September 11, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

Hi, I changed the SSID so it is broadcasting and it still won't remember it. Also apologies I am using WPA2 AES, its my other router that uses WEP as it is old and that is the best security it can use.

Cheers

Collapse -
Then it's likely to be a driver or OS issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

Given only these details I'd be looking for newer drivers just to be sure it's not that.

Also any details on the OS may help. Registry cleaners are bad in they can cause this and more. We have far too many reasons for this to fail so I can't guess this one. The only clue I had was that hidden SSID.

Did you try the other way? That is, delete this connection and use the wifi tool in the notification area?
Bob

Collapse -
fixed
by hyphagon / September 11, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

Turns out that even though I use Windows to configure my connection the Edimax software has its own list of connections and matches Windows to mirror itself when you log in. How it does this I don't know, but I have to set all my network connections up in there.

Thanks for the ideas though

Collapse -
Thanks for sharing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: fixed

For a time I'll remember this EDIMAX is troublesome for some folk.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!