HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Win 7 and Office 7 Compatibility Mode

by jacklom / June 23, 2010 6:16 AM PDT

I have been googling this problem for two days, and haven't come close to seeing this problem. The systems my company have been using are XP Pro with Office 2007. I recently got a new VAIO VGN-NW350F with win 7, and installed Office 2007 Pro. Now, whenever I open a file saved on one of the XP machines, I get an error message that says in Excel that the format of the file is different than the extension. Do I want to open it. If I click yes, The file is gibberish. In Word, I get an error that says it can't read the encoding, and none of the encoding options work. All of the wonky files are saved as 97-2003 format. I opened the files on an XP machine, and saved as in 2007 format, and they work fine.Please help. My boss is convinced the only fix is to downgrade to XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 7 and Office 7 Compatibility Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 7 and Office 7 Compatibility Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should not be happening.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 12:18 AM PDT

I exchange docs with others a lot. But I do not have your exact setup HOWEVER this was found to happen when a corrupted usb stick was at the office. Same messages and same advice. As a test we emailed a doc over and that worked so we knew to look at other than Windows 7 issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Afraid to say it is
by jacklom / June 24, 2010 4:05 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.
When I went back to the XP machine to save the file as 2007 format, I used the same SD card that I used to do the original transfer.
Ordered XP today.

Collapse -
I hope it is clear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Afraid to say it is

That using that SD card could be an issue. Just like the USB memory stick story I told.

About XP. I hope you have a XP guru to handle that. I often find folk can't install this old OS proper. Many stumble on the old XP SATA hard disk issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Installing is the easy part
by jacklom / June 24, 2010 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I hope it is clear

I've installed XP on other systems, and Sony has been VERY cool about putting drivers on their site, and even instructions. All I need is a USB Floppy drive for the SATA.

Collapse -
Why not AHCI or IDE mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

Many skip the floppy method with a bios setting.
Bob

Collapse -
BIOS?
by jacklom / June 28, 2010 10:32 PM PDT

I've bee through the BIOS, and the only thing there is the boot order. Think the SD card will work?

Collapse -
Is there a document on the BIOS screens?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2010 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: BIOS?

Since I'm not there I can't see if it's called something else. So far I have encountered over a dozen names for this feature.

Installing XP is rather torturous on modern gear. Example at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

We know the XP SATA issue and that's well discussed so I'll leave that there. Be sure to have Sony detail out the XP install plan. You'll save a lot of time.
Bob

Collapse -
No, No document
by jacklom / June 28, 2010 11:11 PM PDT

The only thing in BIOS that mentions the hard disc says boot priority and enable external or network boot devices. Sony put up detailed instructions: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=337, and a lot of drivers. As I said, the only thing that i'm iffy on is using a USB SD card reader instead of the USB floppy. Buying a floppy drive to change 3 laptops seems a bit of a waste.

Collapse -
Never used the SD Card method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2010 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: No, No document

I added the USB Floppy to my kit years ago. it was 15 bucks so compared to the cost of XP Licenses and all the work involved in getting XP going my opinion is that it's not a waste. It's just part of the install costs.

I've seen folk try and fail with slipstream too often. It's not funny to them when I pull out the USB floppy and get the job done in 20 or so minutes after they spent weeks trying to avoid the floppy.

There's a lesson somewhere.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.