General discussion

Win 7 and my Canoscan D12502F

Hi Folks,
this is my first time on any forum.
Can someone please advise why my computer crashes for no obvious reason since upgrading from W XP to W7 ultimate.
And do i have to throw away my Canonscan Scanner since I cannot get a driver for it since upgrading to W7.
Don't be too Tech i am 72 and trying to get my head around this stuff.
Regards Ed

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Win 7 and my Canoscan D12502F
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win 7 and my Canoscan D12502F
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you are going to try to help yoursefl.

Think again about troubleshooting on a machine with so little detail. Can you try supplying some basic information and get detailed about the crash?

These are member to member forums so you have to help others help you. Try supplying details so the first reply is not "what is the machine?"
Bob

- Collapse -
Re Conon driver

it appears this is an old model and Canon does not list a driver for Windows 7, so it looks as if you will need to upgrade it.
New good quality scanners are much cheaper then they used to be. If your printer is also old, you may consider a combination printer/scanner saving money and space.

- Collapse -
My Canoscan and Win7 Shutdowns

Sorry Folks,
the details of my computer are:- I have a
MSI Motherboard
1TB Hard Drive and a 186GB back up HD
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo Cpu
Ram 4GB E8500 @3.16Ghz 3.17Ghz
32bit Op System
Win 7 Ultimate.
the whole system is about 6 months old.
I Have a PIXMA iP5000 Printer.
The tech who built the system keeps on telling me that many or most of the Mother boards now have a habit of shutting down and then restarting.
I am 72 yrs of age but not senile (I don't believe this crap).
Nonetheless he says he doesn't know why it happens.
My Printer is working very well but it's the Scanner that also worked well with Win XP Prof,but without a driver for Win7 I can not use my scanner (Canon Canoscan D1250U2F).
It seems a heck of a waste to trash a perfectly good scanner because Canon won't run a new Driver.

If I have to trash it what would you guys recommentd as a very good replacement?
Thanks for your help
Regards Ed.

- Collapse -
The tech who built the system keeps on telling me that many

"The tech who built the system keeps on telling me that many or most of the Mother boards now have a habit of shutting down and then restarting."

You have made a fine case for avoiding "built" systems. Here I have both types and now mostly laptops without such issues.

Back to the scanner. I can explain why there is no driver. As there is no revenue from that model line and the consumer won't pay for drivers the programmers who won't program unless paid to do so won't write a driver. This is hard for some consumers to understand but eventually you figure it out.

As to scanners, these are plentiful out there and I don't have much preference if you stick to names like hp, canon, epson.
Bob

- Collapse -
Win7 & Canoscan

Thanks Bob I appreciate your assistance.
Regards Ed

- Collapse -
If you want to discuss crash issues more details please.

There is so little detail in this discussion that no particular advice can be offered yet. Try telling more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Crashes Win 7

Hi Bob,
there isn't much more I can say except the crashes are much less frequent now since I leave the machine on all the time and simply switch off the monitor.
More often than not each time I started the computer up then it would crash and immediately restart.
On other occasions it would infrequently crash for no reason when I am using it then restart.
Ed

CNET Forums