Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win 2k server cannot user IE6 to browse internet

by peterliong / June 29, 2004 6:47 PM PDT

Hi, in the office all the workstations can browse the internet thru our broadband. But the win 2k server just cannot. It always searches the IP 192.168.0.3 Can someone help? Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 2k server cannot user IE6 to browse internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 2k server cannot user IE6 to browse internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Win 2k server cannot user IE6 to browse internet
by Yew / June 29, 2004 10:20 PM PDT

First off, you use Internet Explorer at your own risk. There are presently two nasty exploits being used by people, with no patch from Microsoft in sight. One lets people install spyware onto your system without your knowledge, the other lets people steal your passwords and other sensitive data even from secure sites. You might want to think long and hard if you want to be among the ranks of the cannon fodder of the Internet.

That being said, my guess would be that you need to switch the network connection to using DHCP (flip the radio button to "Get IP Address Automatically"). Then it should automatically receive all the information it needs to connect to the Internet.

Collapse -
Most Win 2k servers cannot use DHCP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 10:51 PM PDT

My advice is simpler. Don't play with the office server.

The office server has to be at a fixed address so the office clients can find it. Changing to DHCP can bring fire down on the head of the person who changed it since if they didn't know how to configure it back, they offlined the office.

Bob

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 10:24 PM PDT

My best advice is to leave SERVERS alone since if you reconfigure it, then the office is down until the IT staff can be called in to fix it.

Stay off the server.

Bob

Collapse -
by peterliong / June 30, 2004 3:33 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice but I was thinking to update the patches of the Server it is best to use a broadband account than a dial-up account. Sorry, I've not been specific enough. We are using a Small Business Server 2000. I guess there should be alot of patches to be done. Also, this server is a dc, dhcp and dns.

Any idea how to solve the problem?

Peter

Collapse -
Peter, Is There A CD-Rom Drive Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

If so, you could use any other Win2000 machine with broadband and download the updates manually to a CD, then install them manually. Most of the updates should be available for download from the Microsoft Security Bulletin website below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

Click on the link, then do a search for Windows 2000 Server updates.

It might take a little longer, but should get the job done.

Grif

Collapse -
If ....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

Please don't take any offense as I write this. If one can't reconfigure the IP addresses, then they should not touch an office's server. It's best they get their skills refined with knowing what a DNS entry is, how NETMASK works and more before they tackled a server and possible cause the business downtime and along the way get a virtual blackeye from the boss or IT.

I'm offering this as best advice!

As to updates. From another Windows 2000/XP machine, all the updates are available as a network install which I could put on the server then run the isntall there.

Again, your SKILL may be tested if the server fails and you didn't have a BACKUP to go back to when it worked.

For instance, SBS is not Windows 2000 Server so a download may differ.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: If ....
by peterliong / July 6, 2004 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: If ....

Hi R. Proffitt,

The DNS server has a forwarding which points to the gateway. So I assume that every station that has their DNS entry pointing to the DNS server, it should be able to access the internet. In fact, all the other PCs have no problem at all accessing the internet accept the server which has an DNS server add that points to itself.

By the way, the purpose of the SBS is for small or medium size companies that require easy or little maintenance on their part. They could get their own internal staff to do so. Go to the microsoft website and read about the small business server and you will know. I have been assigned to do this, so I have no choice!

For your info, I know what is an IP address, subnet mask, classfull subnetting and classless subnetting. Anyway, the company is small and there's only one network segment.

I know you can download the critical updates and service packs on any PC and install them on the server. But just curious to know why the server cannot access the internet?

Anyone can help. Thank you.

Peter Liong

Collapse -
Be careful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2004 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: If ....

Again, no disrepect intended. If you knew what IP addresses were and how it worked, then you would take the output of

IPCONFIG /ALL

From a server and a NT/2000/XP workstation to determine where the disconnect or missing path was. This would be all the information I would need to know that is required to fix the issue if I was there. Since you claim to know IP addresses and such, then you should be able to fix it now.

SBS and that statement about low maintenance is a MARKETING LIE. While many can just use it, when an issue like yours occurs, you still must have the knowledge.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!