Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win 2000 pro security disabling

by gooslojo / November 20, 2004 7:04 AM PST

We have a Dell Latitude laptop we bought used that came with win 2000 professional. How do I disable all of the security features that are getting in my way.We just wanna surf,we don't have any pending patents or Swiss bank accounts! HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 2000 pro security disabling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 2000 pro security disabling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Win 2000 pro security disabling
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 10:43 AM PST

gooslojo,

Win2000 Pro was originally designed with "Security" in mind. When it came out, "corporate" users were pleased with it's added ability to give "permissions" to different types of users. Still, most home users can use it as well.

A little better description of the problems you're having would sure help...EXACTLY, which type of "security" measures are you talking about? Some are inherent in it's design. Does the machine use FAT32 or NTFS? Are you logged in as a user with "administrator" priviledges? If so, then "surfing" shouldn't be an issue. Which browser are you using?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
by gooslojo / November 21, 2004 8:49 AM PST

Hey Grif,

I am logged on as admin and everything else .The main problem I am having is "installing", for example I downloaded wmp 9 with no problems. The problem starts when the software starts to install.It gets about half done and then I get an error message saying the (long command line I don't recognize) file can't be found.Same goes with Mcafee updates, They download but won't install. I have disabled spysweeper abd mcafee while trying to install but it seems that isn't the problem.I am using IE6 128kb sec and NTFS file system.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

John

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 3:47 AM PST

John,

The EXACT error message you are seeing would sure help.

Which version of McAfee are you using . (RIGHT click on the McAfee shield, or red "M", in the lower right corner, choose "About Virus Scan".) and what type of updates are you installing? Are you manually downloading the Superdat files and installing those...or are you using the automatic Updater and installing them from there?

As long as you are logged in as an administrator, there should be no problems installing either one of the items you have mentioned. Because Windows 2000 requires a couple of secondary "helpers" to install programs, please download and install the two programs below. They might fix the issue:

Windows Installer 2.0 For Windows NT and 2000

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
by gooslojo / November 23, 2004 7:39 AM PST

Grif,
Ok here goes.I am using Mcafee virus scan version4.3.20 build 8.0.44. Mcafee Personal Firewall Express version4.5, api version 4.5.4.40.The updates I have been trying to install are Diskeeper 9.0 Home Edition Trialware and the automatic updates Mcafee sends me via their slide in windows. I tried to recreate the error message by redownloading and installing Diskeeper and this is what I saw:"Error executing the specified program"...."C:\pro files....setup.exe".That was not the result I had hoped for so I went ahead and tried to download THe Windows Installer 2.0 link you provided for me.Now, I get the error message I was getting with diskeeper when I tried to install it.Here it is:"Error creating process<C:\Docume~1\Admini~1\Temp\IXP000.Tmp\msinst.exe/i instms.msi MSIEXEC REG=1/m/qbt!>Reason: The system could not find the file specified" WOW! I'm gonna need a good defrag after all of this ....so will my hard disk!

Thanx for your patience,
John

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2004 8:40 AM PST

John,

It appears like you may need to do some cleanup before reinstalling the Windows Installer program I gave you. Please download the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" from the link below, then run it. When you're done, reinstall the Windows Installer 2.0 that I gave you.

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Before attempting to reinstall any other programs, clean out the computer using the instructions in the links below.

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Next, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Now attempt to reinstall Diskeeper again.

Regarding the Diskeeper 9 Trial program, you might want to access their support site at the link below:

Executive Software Support
http://support.executive.com/support/supportroute.aspx?RID=50&SId=2&CId=1

In regards to the McAfee program you are running Virus Scan 8 build 8.0.44 which is currently using the 4.3.20 scan engine. You did not indicate which virus definitions you have installed. But, you might try manually installing the updates using the link below. It should get you current.

Manually Updating VirusScan 8
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq.asp?docid=278321

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by gooslojo / November 23, 2004 9:47 AM PST

Grif

Sounds good! I'll give it a go and get back to ya

Thanx,
John

Collapse -
by gooslojo / November 23, 2004 8:34 PM PST

Grif,

I tried installing the Windows Installer Clean-up Utlity and received the same error message I got when I tried to install Diskeeper.I cleaned unwanted files from the hard disk and ran chkdsk/error checking.(for the record CCleaner does this for you with one click,I have it on our other PC's...but you knew that cause I downloaded it from C-net) Anyway, the Diskeeper won't install and the updates from Mcafee either.(DAT V 4.0.4408,FILE CREATED 11/18/04) Now, against your better judgement.....give me the Armageddon Fix ..the last resort... the 2 out bottom of the ninth fix...please!
Thanx,
John

Collapse -
Just a WAG
by Steven Haninger / November 23, 2004 8:55 PM PST

Have you tried taking ownership of the entire drive? It does come with some special permissions. With XP (should be similar in 2000) this is done with a right click on the drive. Go to properties/security/advanced and then owner. Make your usename owner of the drive and all contents. Then, try again.

Collapse -
John, When 'Push Comes To Shove
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 24, 2004 2:38 AM PST

...it becomes easier to reformat and reinstall the Windows 2000 operating system plus all programs. It's not that difficult but does require an operating system CD and the legal authentication code. A "Repair" installation might do the job but because it's a "used" computer, you might choose to do the "whole enchilada". Be sure to make backups of all files as they will be lost during the reformat.

Second hand computers can be good deals but you must have the appropriate software in case of emergencies. The Windows 2000 CD is a must.

The links below will instruct you on how to do the "Repair" or "full reformat and reinstall" installations:

Windows 2000 "Repair" Installation

Windows 2000 Full Install

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: John, When 'Push Comes To Shove
by gooslojo / November 24, 2004 10:50 PM PST

Grif,

Like Ron Artest, push has come to shove, anyway I have a Win98SE restore cd , A Dell restore cd, A couple of Dell driver cds and The windows 2000 certificate of authentication is taped to the bottom of the laptop??(what??) What if anything will these accomplish? We bought the laptop at a local new/used/refurb shop(not the classifieds) . Maybe I should return to the shop to get a win2000 cd to go with the cert taped to the bottom; or do I have the necessary items already? Can I use the win 98se cd to restore win2000 from the hard disk? Thanx

John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope, You'll Need A Windows 2000 Installation CD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 25, 2004 1:15 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?