Windows 10 forum

Alert

Win 10 October update to 1809

I am finding that, if the built-in Administrator account has been enabled, it disappears in the login screen after the update. It can be re-enabled via the usual methods. Of course it's recommended that more than one account with administrator privileges be created upon installation. Just a heads up.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 10 October update to 1809
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 10 October update to 1809
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another reason why I use a new local admin account.

In reply to: Win 10 October update to 1809

Collapse -
And reading about the new 1809 feature/bug ...

In reply to: Another reason why I use a new local admin account.

of removing all documents when being installed, it might make sense to use that to run the setup from the downloaded iso, in stead of your main acccount.
Unless, of course, it deletes documents of all accounts ...

Collapse -
This Has Happened Before...

In reply to: Win 10 October update to 1809

I've seen the "Adminstrator" login disappear on previous updates/upgrades with Windows 10. And Yes, on the three test machines here, the hidden "Administrator" login was removed on all of them but all other admin logins remained. As you describe, the "Administrator" login can be re-enabled but it's as if it's being created all "new" again. The login start page doesn't have the settings established as they were previously..

It seems as though many such things are reverting back to some "default" setting devised by Microsoft. System Restore has been disabled on all machines tested. "Administrator" login is disabled. And I set up all my Windows 10 computers with a legacy boot command so Safe Mode can be accessed easily using the old F8 key at startup. This option must also be re-enabled for it to function.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: legacy boot command

In reply to: This Has Happened Before...

How did you do that?

Collapse -
To Allow Windows 10 To Use F8 Key for Safe Mode..

In reply to: Re: legacy boot command

To enable the older boot menu screen: At an elevated command prompt, type:
bcdedit /set "{current}" bootmenupolicy legacy

To revert back to the original Win10 boot menu :
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Hope this helps.

Grtif

Collapse -
F8 key?

In reply to: This Has Happened Before...

Timing is everything. On my Asus rigs, F8 brought up the BIOS boot options if you pressed it early but, if you caught it at just the right second in time, you could bring up the Windows choices. I still miss the old XP "feature" that allowed the CtrlAltDel to bring up an interactive login where one could manually enter the username/PW of choice. As for my concern about updates causing the Administrator account to be hidden, it also makes me wonder what other custom settings have returned to their defaults. Such has been known to happen.

Collapse -
Just A Couple Of Custom Settings I Create

In reply to: F8 key?

The current update/upgrade took a couple back to some strange default. I mentioned that System Restore was disable after the update. And here, I disable the automatic use and startup of OneDrive which is made through "gpedit.msc". Also, the Safe Mode/F8 legacy option was disabled as I mentioned earlier and responded to in Kees/ post. And for those users that create other special settings, just check them all. They're probably changed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 6, 2018 6:24 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.