General discussion

Win 10 Home Creators Update Insider 15031 start menu & more

Windows 10 Home Creators Update Insider Preview Build 15031 start menu and more giving me trouble. PLEASE HELP.
I know, you are probably going to say it's a Beta and it is a bug, but I am telling you, most bugs can be fixed by some CMD command or PowerShell or even in Regedit. Please tell me any way to fix this, even if it is advanced.

So, I upgraded successfully from Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update to this, and ever since I have, I have been experiencing Start menu difficulties. For example, when I click the Start button, sometimes it will do nothing, so I will click it again, and it will open the Start menu, but it will just be blank. On the other hand, sometimes, it will open up to the normal Start menu, but I can only scroll about an eighth down my apps list before it freezes and I have to wait about two minutes for it to respond. And sometimes, it will load normally, and work fine, but then the next time, it will give me trouble again.

Searching: it often lags and sometimes doesn't even register my typing, but when the results do come up, and I click an item to open it, it never works.

Cortana: Cortana usually lags and every once and a while doesn't do anything. Action Center: usually is fine, although sometimes it lags, but I don't think that has to do with all the other nonsense.

Login sometimes lags when I click the screen to login, but I don't know if that has to do with the nonsense either. And one more thing: my PC sometimes gets into "slow-mode" out of the clear blue sometimes, and the cursor will lag, which just MIGHT have to do with the other stuff.

Note: my PC is an almost brand new desktop PC made in 2016, with a Core i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, and a NVIDIA GTX-something graphics card. Note 2: I have already tried the DISM health restore powershell, which resulted in an error that I can't remember, and I have also tried the Foreach command, which said no violations. I also tried the Start menu troubleshooter which said everything was fine, and I rebooted into safe mode then back into standard, and it still is giving me trouble. I also tried sfc /scannow in Powershell and it is still doing it.
Whatever your suggestions/fixes are, no I will not reset my PC. So avoid resetting and reinstalling Windows.

AND PLEASE Don't tell me to post it in the Feedback Hub, I already have, and my post has been ignored. Now it is time for a fix.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Win 10 Home Creators Update Insider 15031 start menu & more
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win 10 Home Creators Update Insider 15031 start menu & more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
And Have You Tried This?

It seems as though the Windows 10 "upgrade" process may not install all the files correctly, or maybe they're damaged, or maybe something else, but running Chkdsk has fixed quite a few of these minor glitches. Try running Chkdsk in "repair" mode to find any damaged files and correct them. Start by opening a command prompt as an admin. RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Command Prompt (Admin). Once there, type chkdsk /f /r /x, leaving the appropriate spaces between the letters as shown, then press the Enter key. You should see a note that it can't be run till a restart is done, type "Y" for yes, then press the Enter key again. Close the command prompt and restart the computer. Chkdsk will run upon restart and will take quite a while to finish.. Don't panic when the progress bar stays at 10% for a long time. It's fairly normal and the Chkdsk process may take a couple of hours.

When it's finished, it will boot to your normal startup/lock screen and you can login normally and then see if things are working correctly.

In regards to the Feedback Hub, remember, that's exactly what it's for. As you said, "It's a Beta" but Microsoft's "powers that be" read the information provided there and will attempt to fix any issues they find are relevant. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're going to respond back to you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thank you! After the disk check, now my system is working perfectly! Everything is fixed! Thanks so much!

- Collapse -
Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back ! !

.. Glad you got things working.

Grif

- Collapse -
Things I'm doing this year a lot.

CNET Forums

Forum Info