Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Willie Nelson on his MJ bust

''So they found a bag of marijuana in my bus. Good thing it wasn't a bag of spinach --
I'd be dead now!''

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Willie Nelson on his MJ bust
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Willie Nelson on his MJ bust
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I still believe Toby Keith is responsible...

In reply to: Willie Nelson on his MJ bust

... for Willie getting busted. Is it coincidence that Keith was on Stephen Colbert's The Colbert Report bragging about how much pot smoking was done on Willie's tour bus when he was there... and Willies' tour bus is stopped and searched within days of the shows airing?

Not saying what Willie and his crew was doing was right... just saying that Willie has been upfront about his pot smoking for years so why isn't he busted more often? Cause Willie doesn't go around announcing it on national TV!

grim

Collapse -
One thing to consider ...

In reply to: I still believe Toby Keith is responsible...

Collapse -
Those tour busses are compartmentalized...

In reply to: One thing to consider ...

...at least when you get to the level of stardom that Willie is at... To the point of being soundproofed in several sections... separate sleeping areas for crew and separate one for headliner , living area, lavatory, and the driver's compartment so he/she can drive without disturbing the passengers, Look at the roof of these busses (or at the tops of the most expensive RV's on the road) and you will see 2 and 3 separate air conditioning units for zone by zone ventilation.

I'm not saying the door from the back to the driver's compartment wasn't open... not saying that the driver wasn't partaking himself (although in my experience with IATSE work - drivers are more likely to do speed than smoke pot, but more likely altogether, to be fired if caught under the influence) but a professional tour driver who does drugs while driving on tour is actually an extremely rare thing. You simply can't be stoned/drunk and keep up with the grueling tour schedule.

The likelihood of second hand buzz by the driver and a wall of smoke rolling out from the buss door when it opened (i know that is not described but I'm sure it is what many imagine) is improbable. Besides... I'm sure the driver was put through a field sobriety test immediately although the cops would have had plenty of time to do blood work/urine tests, and get results, considering how long the police would have taken tearing a tour bus apart along with luggage and equipment.

My opinion is the Toby Keith interview was a factor in the stop and search. In his 5 minute interview on Colbert... he spent more time talking about the prodigious pot smoking on Willies' bus than he did talking about himself.

JMO Happy

grim

Collapse -
I didn't make it up

In reply to: Those tour busses are compartmentalized...

"When the door was opened and the trooper began to speak to the driver, he smelled the strong odor of marijuana,"

Most tour busses don't say who they belong to on them. I think the Toby Keith thing is fishing for a conspiracy.

The driver should have been put through a field sobriety test, but there's no indication that he was.
Collapse -
Maybe ... just maybe

In reply to: Those tour busses are compartmentalized...

Collapse -
Chuckle

In reply to: Maybe ... just maybe

I never said there might not be other contributing factors.

Trying to imply that I said you made the account up is just not true. I did not address the voracity of the reason behind the search at all. But now I will...As for what the cop said to the press or what was released as a public statement. The accuracy of any play by play account is suspect whether it's from a citizen talking to a news crew... or a cop telling a war story of how they busted Willie Nelson. Having coordinated with law enforcement on some of my jobs... the justification for probable cause is easily created out in the field... sometimes after the fact. This goes back to the idea of profiling when making a traffic stop. You stop someone... everything checks out... the police is ready to let you go and then that one last question is asked... "BTW, do you mind if I search your vehicle?" As soon as you say no? They have legal right to detain you for the K9 crew to be called in and sniff the outside of your car... dog acts like it got a hit? Then the police can unload the car and search your belongings. I see it 2 or 3 times a week on a nearby highway that the college kids use to travel to school from home in new york/jersey/ eastern PA.

When all is said and done... the Willie stop could have happened just the way it was portrayed. It could have been coincidence but I pointed out that it was interesting that Toby Keith went on and on about it and the next week Willie got busted for it. Yeah, it is conspiracy talk... it's fun, fanciful speculation... as such, why are you putting so much effort into debunking it?

Colbert obscure? Just because you don't watch it doesn't mean that it is a show without impact. A word in the dictionary... a standup routine at a White House dinner... more than a few video bites on popular streaming video sites. He has made his own impact as any AM radio talk show pundit playing every afternoon. Wink

Collapse -
Not so much debunking it ...

In reply to: Chuckle

... just find your blame placing to be a stretch. Must be that all of the drug running college kids are getting stopped in WVa because I'm driving on highways in the tri-state area (and beyond) VERY regularly and haven't seen a car being searched on the side more than once a month if that.

I didn't say obscure, I said (and even italicized) RELATIVELY. Not sure who you are comparing him to, but I just go by the ratings and demographics. His audience is largely young males. Nothing wrong with that, but Nelson could probably have gone on that show and announced where his tour bus was going to be and that they would be smoking weed on it and I doubt it would have gotten the attention of law enforcement.

Far more plausible that Willie ruffled some feathers doing the decriminalization schtick with the Kinkster.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Quite possible ;-)

In reply to: Not so much debunking it ...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I can't but agree with him.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What a waste of law enforcement resources.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.