The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will you convert?

by Martin1st / August 14, 2006 2:33 AM PDT

Now this is a question I have been pondering for a LONG time, why would one convert to Windows Vista?
I'm sorry if this has been brought up before(used the search couldn't find anything relevant) but I have got to know, why would one convert to Vista.

I have used the betas and at this point, there is nothing that is equally revolutionary as W2K and Windows XP were in their time. I'm sorry but when Vista comes out, I don't think I will not be converting for at least two years, if not more, the only reason I would convert is because software that I use does not support XP anymore.

Granted it has all the fancy styling, and some other "small things", but nothing really major, just from a technical point of view, would you convert and why?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you convert?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you convert?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As a Gamer
by speedyf40 / August 14, 2006 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Will you convert?

?the only reason I would convert is because software that I use does not support XP anymore? That about sums it up for me

As a gamer, I Don?t like how Microsoft is trying to pull me away from XP at the launch of Vista with the Release of Halo 2 for the PC. Being exclusive to Vista is just frustrating but even more frustrating is the lack of faith I have in Microsoft to support the 32bit programs that I know and love.

Collapse -
I'll only convert...
by RoboticUAV / August 14, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: As a Gamer

once most of the program I use require Vista. Otherwise, I'll stick to XP.

Collapse -
Yup...
by mdstout58 / August 14, 2006 8:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Iif gaming is all it's cracked up to be on Vista...
by NewOrderrr / August 14, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

From what I hear, DX 10 and other implementations in Vista will improve game performance. If I get a PC with an upgrade coupon this holiday season (as was offered by many makers just before XP was released) then I?d wait a month or two to hear about any bugs and performance issues before taking a free upgrade. If I were building a PC two months after Vista's release, I'd also look at the reviews and side by side comparisons before getting an OEM Vista cd instead of an OEM XP cd.

Since gaming is the most demanding thing I use my pc for at the moment (aside from a little video encoding) then that's where my priorities are. I would probably recommend it for budget pc newbies if it is more secure. (Requiring passwords to do system changes and all)

Collapse -
When my employer converts me
by cardsbb9 / August 14, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

When they change the OS I use at work, then I will consider upgrading the OS on the (home) laptop.

But...... maybe by then I'll just consider getting a new laptop with Vista on it.

Collapse -
Image of conversion process.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nice
by Martin1st / August 14, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
I never switch
by harrietj / August 14, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

I usually just keep the os that came with my system. Im thinking of getting a new computer next year anyway.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nope, my dell can't even handle xp so well..
by udayan71 / August 14, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sick of Aero
by scorcher409 / August 14, 2006 10:02 PM PDT

Even a year ago I would have converted just for the eye candy, but I am already sick of the "Aero Glass" type effects. I also resent the amount of system resounces these effects take.

The reason I would move now would be the improved file management system, but with that gone I cannot see a compelling reason to move at present. In fact, I am at the stage where I am seriously considering moving all of my systems (including the ones in my business) to Ubuntu. Even though all of my copies of Windows are legal, the number of hoops you now have to jump through to reinstall (and then get shot down by Windows Genuine Advantage anyway) has made the learning curve worth while. I have had Ubuntu on my busienss laptop for a couple of weeks and I love it.

The move to Ubuntu is not even about the money as I usually buy my PC's from Dell or a Main Street seller, so I will be dual booting or installing it over a copy of windows. If I want "eye candy" I can always install Xgl. I have used the live CD and Xgl rocks.

For anybody who is interested, a podcast called "Linux Reality" has helped me a lot in this conversion.

Collapse -
Ubuntu, yes
by Martin1st / August 14, 2006 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Sick of Aero

The "Aero" I cannot get the point of, and I think this is where Microsoft belives that they have improved, by ripping off from Mac and wasting resources.

Ubuntu I have been tihnking about going over to, and I have been trying with the live CD and I am really impressed with it.

I think that in a few years time it could start to become a serious contender to WinXP and OSX, the main reason I haven't changed yet is the Games and software, the software I use and the games I play don't exists for Linux, and I think this is where the challenge will be, to convince the Game Developers and Software developers that Linux is a choice, I think some of the problem with trying to convince Game Dev's and Software Dev's up until now has been the amount of distros, because which distro should one support? I think this is where Ubuntu has manged to break through, they are a possible contender to the big ones.

The other challenge will be to convince computer makers (Dell, HP, Fujitsu ect...) to either sell their comps with no OS or at the same level as they are selling comps with windows preinstalled sell comps with optional Linux Distros preinstalled (maybe evan OSX if mac ever makes it compatiable, yeah right) I know sevral people who say that they are happy with the OS they get with their comp and they don't want to nother with having to back up, format and install Ubuntu.

I think the ball is rolling, it is just a matter of time and really people willing to try something diffrent.

Collapse -
I have an Ubuntu box.
by christianboy65 / August 15, 2006 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu, yes

Mostly at home, I use XP and 2k. I also have an iMac. I put up an Ubuntu box to play with, and it's neat, but I haven't found a dedicated use for it yet. I have a TV card in the machine and I'm going to try to see if I can get it to use that and then use it as a "CNN Server" Happy

If I could get it to communicate with the windows boxes more easily, it would be better.

Collapse -
I'll "upgrade" when...
by punterjoe / August 14, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

..Microsoft activates the WGA kill switch & my PC becomes as dead as that robogarage in Hoboken Wink
Actually, I'm sure MS wouldn't totally disable people's PCs. Windows Update would still work - only it would auto-dl Vista & prompt you to buy an activation key. Grin

Collapse -
Windows Update
by Martin1st / August 14, 2006 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll "upgrade" when...

They will probably make Vista come under the "Critical Update" area, which is a joke at times, "Cough, cough, Windows Genuine Notification"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hell no.
by udayan71 / August 15, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Windows ME forever baby!
by csliva11 / August 15, 2006 12:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
nope
by rosscbrown / August 15, 2006 12:50 AM PDT

I use windows Xp as it is somewhat stable and compatible with the software I use.

Vista look like it will be rather bloated. In XP, I don't run the visual features so I would not be wanting the advance user interface stuff in Vista.

If I were to buy a vista computer I would try using it but right now, would probably change to XP Pro.

Collapse -
Can't wait for it! Why does history always repeat itself???
by robstak / August 15, 2006 2:07 AM PDT

I, for one, am looking forward to it. The new features sound convenient. The black is sexy.

It seems that with every release of windows since 3.1 that people are so proud to say "I'll never upgrade!" And yet, eventually everyone does. It seems to me like another manifestation of the its-cool-to-be-defiant attitude. YES, you kinda had to upgrade as compatibility and support fades away as years past, but were you really worse off by upgrading to Win95? Win98? WinXP? Honestly...

Collapse -
wait a second!
by udayan71 / August 15, 2006 3:32 AM PDT

Vista will be better than XP. Duh.

But, Ubuntu is where I'm going for old hardware & Mac is where I'm going for new hardware.

Collapse -
Vista feels like an upgrade
by Martin1st / August 15, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

Well I will upgrade eventually, but it will take some time, because like I said, there is no big revolution with vista except that Micrsoft finally found out how to do decent styling.

Let me just point out that there was a major jump between win98 and winxp because of the NT technology, it was more secure, and stable. Ok so vista will be more secure (they rebuilt the tcp/ip stack, weird) but up until now it has been a resource hog on the system I've tested it out on, I just don't get it why they just don't make it an upgrade for XP at this point, they removed the ''revolutionary'' filesystem, the end user features are ''slim'' like, colander, windows DVD maker, windows mail and the list goes on there is nothing there that makes me sit up and say ohhhhhh, there are ''cool'' things like ReadyBoost, and SuperFetch.

In the end Vista will feel like a upgrade more than a new OS.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Couldn't agree more
by scorcher409 / August 15, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Agreed!
by robstak / August 15, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

I can still remember ppl complaining about XP in the face of NTFS tho... tsk tsk. Silly

Collapse -
No thanks, i'm full already
by Jonathan.C / August 15, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

its bad enough with SP1 and SP2 screwing everything up and such-and-such, but vista looks like it'll hurt more than help. It doesnt matter how much you redesign the damn OS with squishy buttons and fluffy colors, its still windows, and still subjected to the same risks if not more. No thanks, my brother converted to OSX for a reason, and i'm about to make the same plunge.

Though to be frank, i always loved windows NT...simply the best

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.