The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will you be buying a game console this year?

Will you be buying a game console this year?

Yes: PS3, baby! (Tell us why.)
Yes: Nintendo Wii, baby! (Tell us why.)
Yes: Xbox 360, baby! (Tell us why.)
A portable is for me! (Which one?)
Consoles drool, PC games rule! (Tell us why.)
I'm just not a gamer, friend.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will you be buying a game console this year?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will you be buying a game console this year?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Waiting out the errors!!

In reply to: Will you be buying a game console this year?

I will be buying a PS3 but not just yet. Although there have not been any major errors reported with the PS3 in the Japan launch, only compatibility issues with some 200 games in the entire playstation collection which compared to others is great. But I'll wait for more PS3's being shipped and if any more errors pop up for the U.S launch.

Collapse -
Me two!

In reply to: Waiting out the errors!!

I'm going to wait before buying. I need to see how many more errors any console is having before I buy. I hope to buy a PS3.

Collapse -
Which New Gaming system

Actually that is an easy on. NONE! Why? This time of year they are so OVER priced it is rediculous. from 300.00 to 600.00 for systems that are having problems before they are even released in the USA. Each of my foster children want a different system for Christmas. So, I examined the information on each as it has become available, and the manufacturers are counting on the Christmas RUSH to make the big profit. I guess my kids will wait till a reasonable price comes around or hope Santa Clause gets them one. For my money they are ALL over priced and for now over rated. Dan

Collapse -
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH YOU, ON YOUR DECISSION!!

In reply to: Which New Gaming system

IN THE CASE OF THE PS3, YOU COULD BUY A MID-RANGE COMPUTER FOR UNDER $600.00, NOWADAYS! HOWEVER, A PS3 ALSO DOUBLES AS A BLUE-RAY DVD PLAYER, WHICH CURRENT DVD PLAYERS CANNOT READ.I'D OPT FOR BUYING A PS3, BECAUSE THAT SYSTEM ALSO DOUBLES AS A BLUE-RAY DVD PLAYER SO IT'S LIKE BUYING A BLUE-RAY DVD PLAYER, WITH THE ADDED FUNCTIONALLITY OF A VIDEO GAME SYSTEM. THE XBOX 360, CURRENTLY DOSEN'T SUPPORT BLUE-RAY TECHNOLOGY, BUT THEY PLAN ON ADDING AN ADAPTER IN ORDER TO ALLOW THIS. NOTHING'S FOR FREE SO, OF COURSE, MICROSOFT IS GOING TO CHARGE YOU FOR THE ACCESSORY & IT'S GOING TO END-UP COSTING YOU AROUND THE SAME AS THE OPENING PRICE OF A PS3, ANYWAY.

I PLAN ON JUST GIVING THE PS3 ABOUT A YEAR OR TWO FROM THE RELEASE DATE, & THEN I'LL PROBABLY BE ABLE TO BUY ONE FROM A LATER SHIPMENT FOR A FRACTION OF THE $600.00 LAUNCH-DAY PRICE!!

PLUS, IF YOU THINK THAT'S A GOOD IDEA, YOU COULD EVEN WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A BUZZ ABOUT SONY RELEASING A PS4,YA' KNOW?? I GUESS THEN YOUR KIDS WILL WANT A PS4 INSTEAD, RIGHT?? I GUESS YOU CAN'T WIN EITHER WAY, HEY??

I, FOR ONE, AM NOT SO OVERLY OBSESSED THAT I'D EVEN THINK OF PAY-ING $600.00 JUST TO BE ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE TO OWN ONE. I, MYSELF, WOULD FEEL LUCKY IF SOMEONE WOULD EVEN CONSIDDER BUYING ME A PS3, RIGHT NOW.

HONESTLY, YOUR FOSTER KIDS SHOULD FEEL PRIVLIDGED THAT YOU'D EVEN CONSIDER GRANTING ANY OF THEIR WISHES. I WOULD TELL THEM TO, ULTIMATELY, CHOOSE ONE SYSTEM TO SHARE, UNLESS YOU HAVE $2000-$2500 JUST LAYING AROUND, THAT IS.

Collapse -
PC has the advantage of upgrades.

In reply to: I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH YOU, ON YOUR DECISSION!!

I see for about $600 I can add a Blu-Ray BURNER to my computer. For about half that I can get a player for my TV. I'm sure by the time there is a significant market for Blu-Ray, that price will drop to well below $200 for a burner.
With few exceptions I can play most any game made for a PC from the last 15 years. Have you looked at the bug report for PS2 games used on a PS3. What good are older PS games?
I like being able to play a game, while downloading a movie or program, while burning a DVD and more, all at the same time if I wanted.
My newest hardware is a least last years model.

Collapse -
Sort of

In reply to: PC has the advantage of upgrades.

The ps3 did have a problem playing some 200 games when it was released in japan. But through the ps3 firmware update, the problem has been fixed and the ps3 can now play all games for the ps consoles.

Collapse -
Are you sure you're not thinking of HD DVD for Xbox 360?

In reply to: I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE WITH YOU, ON YOUR DECISSION!!

Hello. I was under the impression that Microsoft/Xbox was backing the HD DVD player technology only, while Sony/PS3 was backing the Blu Ray technology only. Will Xbox really be selling an adapter for Blu Ray? I have not heard of any such adapter yet for the Xbox--because they're already selling the HD DVD drive for it in the stores. Very curious.

Probably a good idea holding off on the purchase of the PS3 for quite some time as I heard that the ones sold already are quite buggy (at least the ones sold that people chose to use/play instead of reselling for thousands on ebay).

Collapse -
Actually, that's not exactly true

In reply to: Which New Gaming system

I agree they're all overpriced, but that's because I think consoles in general are overpriced. The PS3 cost more to manufacture than Sony sells for--still at an absurd price, but Sony is taking a loss on the console because a major portion of their profit is the games. Still, the holiday season will usher in more profit because if people have the console they must buy games, but the profit will not come from the PS3 console itself. However, with a console so expensive as $600, even $80 for a game is a mere ~10% of the console price, which is a lesser percent than games for most recent consoles sell for. I'm not defending the $80/game price--I think it's stupid. But I think it's all exorbitantly overpriced and not quite worth it.

Collapse -
yes, but not until after the xmas rush...

which probably will mean sometime early 2007, when stock is available. I don't have any interest in games, I plan to use the PS3 only as my living room media centre, with web-browsing, free video chatting, playing net videos and later, I plan to add a USB TV tuner to the PS3 to have it run as a PVR (if it turns out to not be compatible, no doubt someone will find a way to install Linux on it within 6mths to take advantage of the PS3's powerful hardware capabilities). I could buy an HTPC to do the same thing now, but they're unrealiable, commonly noisy, slow to startup, and cost 3-6 times as much as a PS3.

Collapse -
No video games

People are forgetting how to interact in the real world. A lot of kids never learn. Forget the virtual world. Try your hand at the real thing.

Collapse -
GO PC

In reply to: No video games

I'll stick with pc because nothing can aim better than a mouse.

Collapse -
Here, here!

In reply to: GO PC

Plus the games released have not matched the technology inside the machine, so you're wasting money on--however many processors they jammed in the PS3--might as well have an upgradeable machine. Totally with ya on the mouse issue.

Collapse -
Too many gadgets

In reply to: No video games

I have a Windows PC and a Mac. That's it. I was surprised to see 46% of the replies were like mine. I don't have one and don't want one. I don't have an i-Pod or a Zune and don't want them either. Too many gadgets with too many flaws and too expensive.

"A fool and his money are soon parted". Will BluRay be another VHS or will it be a Betamax?

Collapse -
blue ray would be the winner

In reply to: Too many gadgets

blue ray would be the next 'vhs' and hd dvd will most likely take the place of 'betamax'. It seems already evident to the market that blue ray is more prominent. But I've been assumeing they would take the lead since i first heard both there copetitive game plans. But waiting is always a good thing when strapped for cash.

Collapse -
I don't know if blu-ray will win

In reply to: blue ray would be the winner

I've been seeing more commercials for HD-DVD movies than blu-ray, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If this is the case, then people may be more inclined to go for an HD-DVD player, despite the few pitfalls it has. Both have their pro's and con's, but they are almost identical products. So I hope they both fail so the winner doen't get a bloat head.

Collapse -
I'm not sure

In reply to: blue ray would be the winner

I don't know if I agree with you--it's more complicated than just looking at what's been released on blu-ray vs. HD DVD to this point. I mean, since Blu-ray was completed first, it's logical that more stuff has been released on it than HD DVD. I think HD DVD has an edge because most people are either casually or intimately familiar with DVD, they'll likely think there's not much of a difference and might as well stick with something they're familiar with in name. Blu-ray on the other hand can sound very foreign to most consumers. Also, it will be interesting to see what movie production companies choose--the problem is that consumers will likely not want to have to buy two players (one for blu-ray and another for HD DVD), so likely both media will be released for a single movie--until one company buys out the other--very similar to the VHS/Beta ordeal. I'm interested to see how it will turn out.

I agree with ya--PS3, give it some time.

Collapse -
No Console games for me..

Don't get me wrong, i have thoroughly enjoyed all the XBox 360 games that i've played, and i imagine that i will get just as much entertainment out of Wii and PS3 games... but i'm not going to spend money on any of them.

I voted for the PC games rule option, but its not really applicable to me. I love console games, and always have, but i don't buy consoles. PC games, i play, sure, but i think console games have them beat pretty often just because they are designed exclusively for gaming, where as PC's have tons of purposes -- as i'm sure you all know.

Collapse -
Why buy now?

In reply to: No Console games for me..

Whenever something new comes out, prices naturally skyrocket(such as the remastered 8 GB iPod nano). Why buy a Wi OR a PS3 now? It'd be a better idea to wait, because:
1) There will be better games out, and prices will go down.
2) Regardless of what you think, the PS3's glitches will eventually be fixed.

I know because when the iPod nano 2 GB first came out, it was around $189.99. I got it almost a year later for $139.95.

I would actually rather buy the Wi, but the prices they're asking for are WAY too high.

Collapse -
Will buy a PS3 before Christmas next year.

I try never to buy a new system right after it comes out. I have seen to many times a new game system hits the market and with in a day there are reports of failed systems and problems across the board. I waited till the third gen of the 360 came out and all the bugs were fixed. Same with every other system I own. I was not very interested in the PS3 till I started reading more about it. I thought that the Xbox 360 would be the system to get but now I am not sure. So I will have both.

Collapse -
I'm getting a Wii! (I hope.)

I hope that my parents get me a Wii for Christmas. I've played the PS3 and the 360, and they're pretty good, but just not innovative and different enough. The 360 has awesome graghics but has a fair amount of glitches. The PS3 has not that many glitches as far as I know, but has worse graghics than the 360. Plus, it's gigantic and the fan is loud. The Wii is innovative, wireless, small, and is better for gameplay and multiplayer. GO WII!!!

Collapse -
Xbox 360

Can you say Gears of War, Halo3. But I will be buying it after Christmas when I get my Tax money back from Uncle Sam!

Collapse -
Totally agree

In reply to: Xbox 360

Xbox 360 has better highly anticipated games compared to Xbox. In fact Xbox 360 has more games because it came out first. Everybody who bought a PS3 is going to have to wait sometime next year to get the highly anticipated and exclusive PS3 games. There is nothing to be excited about it your an Xbox 360 fan or own an Xbox 360 unless you believe the hype of the Bluray DVD that has not won the DVD war yet because 19 out of the 23 games launched on PS3 are already out on Xbox 360 and many people have already played them.

What's up with that and I feel like Sony screwed everyone. Their charging you $600 for the system but could not come out with more creative or exclusive games to make gamers excited. All the video game experts can only name one game that they are highly excited about and can actually play at launch and the rest are not even out yet. In fact they won't be out until next year and it takes a while for game developers to create, therefore all you see is amazing HD visual previews of upcoming games that are not even out yet for hype.

This is why people who did not get a PS3 should not be disappointed and should actually be glad that they are waiting. PS3 right now is like the PSP because is great, but there is not enough variety of games to really be excited about that you can actually play right out of the box especially if your a hardcore gamer. However you can get your money's worth out of the Bluray disc DVD player until you look forward to the exclusive PS3 games that everybody loves and wants to play so bad.

Collapse -
I'm not the gamer...

My son is the gamer and wants the XBox 360. I do a bit of gaming on the PC but not as much. I occasionally play some games with my kids on the XBox...

Collapse -
PC gaming is where it's at!

Although video game consoles have improved greatly in recent years, I still feel that the best games and the best game-playing experience is on the computer.

Modern PC's have powerful dual-core processors, high-performance graphics cards, and much more memory than any console could possibly offer.

Furthermore, the kinds of games I play most give the best experience with a keyboard and mouse, not a controller pad.

Even on my 15" CRT monitor, my PC delivers the best graphics and sound, even when compared to a console system playing on a HDTV and high-end sound system.

When I do want to play console games, I plug in my old Nintendo 64. The graphics aren't that great by today's standards, but the games are still a lot of fun, especially the action/adventure titles.

Collapse -
absolutly correct, if your mr. money bags.

In reply to: PC gaming is where it's at!

yeah, as long as you keep paying large amounts of money to upgrade your processor, and ram, and harddisc, graphics card.. Basically a console u buy once, need not upgrade and play great games for years.

Collapse -
I disagree

In reply to: PC gaming is where it's at!

Yes, PC gaming CAN be fun, but it's expensive (for the hardware, software, and maybe internet). Internet gaming's really fun, but I also like making the CPU characters in games like Super Smash Bros. or Soulcalibur II look like complete idiots. Plus, there's more movement with the consoles, and yes I'm talking about the Wii and PS3, but mostly the Wii. It gets you up and moving, it's innovative, faster startup, no upgrades needed (accept for the shop channel, but that's quick if you have a strong Wi-Fi signal) and it can still play online and browse the web. I don't like PC gaming that much because of all the setup, long(er) loading times, and loudness and clunkiness of the keyboard and mouse. There's a higher risk of carpel tunnel-syndrome, too.
Well, I hope I gave YOU some info.

Collapse -
Will I be buying a game console this year?

I'd love to but have been out of work for a long time because of a head-on auto accident with a drunk driver. Single, 55, and no job does not leave much room for game consoles. Everybody enjoy theirs and the holidays!

Blessings to everyone,

Seasprite

Collapse -
P C Games are the best

PC games are the best. Better graphics, sound and much much more enjoyable. I play Americas Army and Battlefield 2 on my pc. The multiplayer mode is the best. Playing on line is I think the best way to learn how to use you key board and mouse together. It also teaches you how to think and how to out think your apponant. It also teaches you strategy. It also makes you use a little common sense.It also teaches to use your brain. True most kids today are spoiled, because their parents would rather buy the kid a game to play then deal with the child. Then they wonder why isn't the kid doing so well in school??????? It's because all the kid can think about all day is getting home to play their games. I think with all these new gadgets comming out for the gamer their should be a limit put on the child.
I guess I'm just a little jealious of todays kids, because when I was growing up there wasn't anything known as a PC or a gamming console. We made up our own games to play. I am a Vietnam veteran and I love playing games on my PC.

Collapse -
Consols drool, PC games rule!

You can do so much more with a PC game. It seems like theres less features in consol games and with no mouse its harder to do things. And shooting? I don't know how ppl can shoot on theise things. Only once I've tryed a 1st person shooter or something and I couldn't control the thing @ all.

Collapse -
Definately A PS3

Blue-Ray, wireless built in, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy! Can't wait to get mine.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.