Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Will Vista run on a notebook with integrated graphics??

by sparker1288 / December 7, 2006 6:48 AM PST

i've been using an old dell dimension l866r desktop for a while now and i'm planing on getting a new dell notebook. i have been seriously considering getting a dell inspiron e1405 but i have been debating between the e1405 and e1505. i would prefer the smaller size and weight of the e1405 but i'm wondering if anyone out there has personally used an e1405 and can give me an opinion on the graphics capabilities of the e1405 with its integrated graphics. on the dell.com website it says that even with the integrated graphics the e1405 should run windows vista INCLUDING windows aero without any problems. my question is, is this true? will i be able to run windows vista with windows aero on my e1405?

The system i am interested is:
dell e1405

PROCESSOR: Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will Vista run on a notebook with integrated graphics??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will Vista run on a notebook with integrated graphics??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Will Vista run on a notebook with integrated graphics??
by stonehkm / December 7, 2006 7:36 AM PST

Unless you have integrated graphics that I have never heard of, you will be able to run Vista and all it's security features etc, but you won't be able to use the "eye candy" as in Aero/glass without a quality dedicated graphics card:)

Collapse -
Yes, but with average results...
by John.Wilkinson / December 7, 2006 11:28 AM PST

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 is capable of handling Vista's Aero, including the 'glass' look, but it will do so with average results, nothing more. Thus, while you could get away with it for Vista and those games you'd be happier with a true graphics card.

In regards to the rest, the processor will do very well, but considering 128MB-256MB would be used for integrated graphics, you may want to consider upgrading the RAM...Microsoft recommends 1GB for premium performance, but you'll only have 768MB-896MB. Thus, I would upgrade either the graphics card or the RAM, with preference going to the graphics. (You can always upgrade the RAM later if you want but you will be forever stuck with the graphics card/adapter.)

John

Collapse -
thanks....but another question.
by sparker1288 / December 7, 2006 2:57 PM PST

o how i wish dell would just put a dedicated graphics card in the e1405...but thanks for the opinion but a second question. does anyone thinks its worth is just to upgrade to the e1505 for the graphics card, although i am not a hard core gamer? (but do play the occasional game) or should upgrading RAM be enough? by the way thanks for your replies already.

Collapse -
I would upgrade, but...
by John.Wilkinson / December 8, 2006 1:07 AM PST

On the e1405 adding more RAM would counter the loss due to integrated graphics, meaning your multitasking and overall computing abilities would not take a hit, but it would not have an effect on the graphical capabilities. Considering laptop graphics cards cannot be upgraded, for the most part, so getting that upgrade now would be the better option.

One important note, though, is that the Radeon upgrade option on the e1505 uses "Hypermemory." While the term was designed to make it sound like you are getting more you are really getting less...it simply means that the graphics card uses your RAM, just like integrated graphics. (The same goes for Nvidia's "TurboCache" line.) Now, it is still better than the Intel 950 chip and will make your gaming and Vista Aero experience smoother, but keep in mind that you will still have less than 1GB of RAM available. This is usually inevitible in laptops but should not be overlooked.

Personally, I have run Vista on Intel's 950 chip and after using some of Vista's included software, including the DVD maker and the new Chess game, I decided that a graphics card upgrade was well worth it. Thus, if I were you, I would get the e1505 with the Radeon upgrade, improving graphical performance for the long term and then consider upgrading the RAM now or at a later time, something you would want to do regardless of which model you choose.

John

Collapse -
Wondering
by fleshman03 / December 10, 2006 2:23 PM PST

Now if he used the bootready feature in Vista, wouldn't that work to increase his RAM or does that only work for bootups?

Collapse -
ReadyBoost...
by John.Wilkinson / December 11, 2006 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Wondering

ReadyBoost, where flash drives and flah memory cards are used to increase system performance, affects overall system performance during use, but should not have an effect on the boot time because the technology is loaded with Vista, not before it.

The important thing to note here is that it is not a substitute for RAM...not only is it not as fast as RAM but it also does not attempt to act as RAM. What it does do is store a copy of the most recently and frequently used cache files from the hard drive (ie paging file/swap file/virtual memory), enabling faster access. (Flash drives are still faster than standard hard drives.)

Regardless of whether you use this technology/feature or not, you would still ideally want 1GB or more of physical RAM, after the deduction due to integrated graphics.

John

Collapse -
TurboCache graphics
by hickman71 / December 12, 2006 12:11 AM PST

Thanks for the information John! I bought two Dell Lattitude D620s with the optional 256MB 'video cards' specifically to have non-integrated! Arghhhh!!!

At least both laptops have 2GB of RAM so it won't tax the system. I guess I'll find out how Aero runs once I switch from XP Pro to Vista...

Collapse -
Can you wait?
by Willy / December 11, 2006 1:13 AM PST

If the laptops you mentioned didn't offer 'Vista capable or upgrade' then pass on them. Laptops in general have a narrow upgrade path or limitations and are expensive to get if available. For a practical Vista experience you may best wait for more glorified options when available on later models, otherwise current models will be lacking as times goes by provided you want Vista upper-end of capabilities. Vista useful ram requirements are 1Gb of ram, but 2gb is just the required level for all-around use. As laptops aren't in the stuffed with that much of ram from the git unless ordered, be prepared to buy extra and remember most laptops have 2 slots typically, so if yours comes with 2x512mb for 1gb of ram, you may need to replace both in order to get 2gbs to fully populate it. Then you add gamin on top of all this, well you're really pushing it if Vista then gaming, IMHO. I'll wait if you can until alot of dust settles for real world results start coming in about this or that issues. Otherwise, there will be great deals on XP2 based until Vista becomes stable. Wink

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?