Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Will US bought Samsung UN55HU8550 work in London?

by draylan00 / September 8, 2014 4:12 AM PDT

Hi, I am wondering if a US bought Samsung UN55HU8550 will work in the UK? I have read some things about PAL/NTSC but not sure if this is relevant to newer TVs these days.

Also, I doubt this is a dual voltage TV so will there be any issues using a transformer?

Thanks in advanced!

David

draylan00 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will US bought Samsung UN55HU8550 work in London?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will US bought Samsung UN55HU8550 work in London?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by draylan00

Collapse -
Still matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:17 AM PDT

Also, you have to deal with power concerns and then the smart part fails since that is regionalized. So far no maker offers board exchanges so if you must do this, then look into power convertors and bring your own players.
Bob

Collapse -
To vet my answer. Please read
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Still matters.
http://www.tv.com/television-hardware/do-american-hdtvs-work-in-the-uk/topic/112-586651/msgs.html

Sadly this question needs expansion. The HDTV will still "work" but may not show video from the local cable box or such. So while you can bring your BD Player, some BD titles and your HDTV with you, all that will "WORK!" But as you imagine you might be asking for it to work with a local feed.

-> That out of the way there is a TELLY TAX there so imagine your ire as you pay that then discover it won't work with the local content. So you run out and try convertor boxes or buy a second set and incur a second TELLY TAX.
http://londonrelocationservices.com/moving-to-london-understanding-the-tax-on-your-telly/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

Bob
Collapse -
Thanks
by draylan00 / September 8, 2014 5:05 AM PDT

Hi Bob, thanks a lot for the explanation. Very helpful. It seems it may not be worth it then Sad

Collapse -
Price diff
by draylan00 / September 8, 2014 5:43 AM PDT

One thing to add though...

I can find in the US the UN55H7150 for around $1229 (amazon)

The equivelant of that in the UK is UE55H7000 which I can see it's around $2045 (amazon.co.uk - converted). That's a little over $800 difference.

I wonder if it would be worth buying an PAL/NTSC converter and a step down transformer? I don't care about shipping costs to overseas because my company will take care of that...

Collapse -
Those that sell convertors must tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Price diff
Collapse -
Atlona
by draylan00 / September 8, 2014 6:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Those savings do erode pretty fast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Atlona

When folk do this I can only wish them well. We have some friends that came from UK to Canada in 93 and their thought is to leave it all behind. They got tired of the voltage and other convertors.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.