Samsung forum

Question

Will TV pass 5.1 to Soundbar from Blu-ray via HDMI-ARC?

I have a Samsung UN65H7150 TV, a Samsung HW-H750 soundbar and a Samsung BD-H5900 Blu-ray player.

Via HDMI-ARCI, I understand the TV itself will provide 5.1 to the soundbar , but will it passthrough 5.1 from an external device (namely the Blu-ray player)? I understand some TV's will and others won't.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will TV pass 5.1 to Soundbar from Blu-ray via HDMI-ARC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will TV pass 5.1 to Soundbar from Blu-ray via HDMI-ARC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Under some conditions.

In reply to: Will TV pass 5.1 to Soundbar from Blu-ray via HDMI-ARC?

Collapse -
Apps are not external devices

In reply to: Under some conditions.

As I said in my original post, "I understand the TV itself [apps, OTA] will provide 5.1 to the soundbar, but will it passthrough 5.1 from an external device?"

The link you provided is older than my TV and, thus, doesn't include my model.

Would appreciate an answer from a Samsung rep on this.

Collapse -
So far, it's been no pass if the source is HDMI.

In reply to: Apps are not external devices

In the USA you can get an answer in minutes at 1800SAMSUNG. If yours works, it would be the first I've heard of.
Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Second hurdle. That soundbar is 4.1 not 5.1

Collapse -
I'm aware

In reply to: Second hurdle. That soundbar is 4.1 not 5.1

Re: 4.1, that's irrelevant. 4.1 is not even a real format. It just means there's not a dedicated center speaker. What's important is that the soundbar can decode 5.1, so I want to see if it's getting 5.1. I'm mostly interested to find out if the LFE channel is being passed through.

Re: running BR player through the soundbar, I'd prefer all sources to go through the TV for convenience of switching. (Wife acceptance factor!)

Collapse -
Since the Ambassador

In reply to: I'm aware

Only shows from time to time, why not call it in? You'll have a Samsung answer in minutes. If your TV passes 5.1 with HDMI sources, this would be good news for Samsungs. About time.
Bob

Collapse -
I called

In reply to: Since the Ambassador

Samsung rep on the phone claimed my TV will indeed pass 5.1 from my Blu-ray to my soundbar via HDMI. Not sure I really believe him, though! When I did the Disney WOW calibration disc, all channels came through except the LFE. That's what prompted my question.

Collapse -
Back to Sam.

In reply to: I called

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: Back to Sam.

Hence the question.

Now, the sub itself works fine, I can hear it when playing music and watching movies. However, it's possible that in those cases the sub is playing low frequencies from the left / right / center channels and not from the discrete ".1" LFE channel.

Trying to determine if there's a problem with the calibration disc, my BD player settings, or if 5.1 is just not getting passed through.

Collapse -
You can test this. Use the HDMI in on that sound bar.

In reply to: Yep

But it's an odd bar with 4.1 so who knows what it's processing capability is.

Collapse -
Manual says it processes 5.1

In reply to: You can test this. Use the HDMI in on that sound bar.

It may be an "odd bar", but it's Samsung's top-of-the-line "straight" model. (The 7500 is the curved model to match curved TVs.) As I said before, 4.1 only means there's no dedicated center speaker. Center can easily be emulated by L & R channels. Specs clearly show that it processes Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround formats.

On the test disc, all 5 channels tested fine, the only question is the ".1." I plan on testing it with direct connection, once I get another cable. (Existing cables are routed to the TV through the wall.)

Collapse -
Emulation isn't the same as the real deal

In reply to: Manual says it processes 5.1

Therein lies the rub. What good is a calibration disc when you aren't utilizing proper 5.1 kit?

Collapse -
(NT) DFTT

In reply to: Emulation isn't the same as the real deal

Collapse -
Lately the newbies here are full of...

In reply to: DFTT

...snark. And usually after asking silly questions that have answers found elsewhere.

Collapse -
One test to answer the passing 5.1 question.

In reply to: Manual says it processes 5.1

It's really good to read that newer Samsungs pass 5.1, but here we are in the rough (golf lingo) where it's not a sure thing that the .1 is getting out. One test to see where it is then you can get back to Samsung with your findings to ask for a fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
In theory it should.

I believed that's the whole idea of ARC. As long as the component/s are ARC compatible, that's my understanding about ARC.

Collapse -
Not always

In reply to: In theory it should.

Apparently many TV's won't:

<div>"Some TVs will send 5.1 if the TV is the source of the audio (either from a streaming app or the built-in over-the-air tuner), but won't pass 5.1 from other sources, like a Blu-ray player."
</div>

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

Re: the link that R. Proffitt previously posted on the subject:

"And in case you're wondering about CNET's test of 20 TVs last year, it's not necessarily a good indicator of a TV's ARC implementation. We tested only the ability of the TV to pass surround sound via the optical output; we didn't test ARC or HDMI audio capabilities at all."

Collapse -
You have never read my rants concerning ARC here yet?

In reply to: In theory it should.

My latest utterance: ARC is a fARCe (e.g. it rarely works as it is intended)

Wink cheers

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.