HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Will this virus be back? How bad?

by natbe / September 6, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

Hello, I am a student of the PC, and been infected twice with viruses in the past 6 months, so I plan to hang around here quite a bit and learn and help others...

I had a new virus in the past few weeks that I was slow in getting rid of. It was a "redirect" virus that would appear when I opened my browser (Firefox). A tab would spontaneously open that went to a website (localtribune.org) which had an ad on it about the amazing money you can make working at home. Then I'd try to close the tab, and I would get a dialog asking me if I were sure, and I had to click OK to get rid of it (you had the option of clicking "Cancel" but that would leave the tab open). Clicking OK just switched the page that was showing in the frame to some other ad, and I'd go to close that and get a new dialog asking me if I were sure, but this is such a good deal... VERY unsettling to be forced by an unknown website to click on dialog boxes! This would occur every day. I could not get rid of it with a virus checker. I had already uninstalled Norton 360 because it totally missed the first virus I had this year. So I installed McAfee and ran a full scan; and it said my system was clean. I also had Spyware Doctor but not realtime protection. I did an Intelliscan and it found some stuff, I cleaned it, but I found the virus reappeared ... I ran a full system scan with Adaware too, and it found some stuff, but the virus reappeared. At some point the tabs stopped opening up completely, but my PC was still running super slow (no I was not running antivirus in the background--I had uninstalled McAfee after it ran the clean scan). So last night I ran a full scan with Spyware Doctor and I got lots of hits, about 200 infections; about 1/2 or more were "low" risk, but one was "high" risk, lots were "medium". The high risk infection had threat name: "Spyware.known_bad_sites" and infection is called "S apmebf.com" There were a lot of "medium" threats. Some of them had threat name "Spyware.trustyhound!rem" and many had threatname "Trackware.Tracking cookies!rem"... There are too many of those infections to list.

I have an old PC--it's from about 2005. It's a Dell Optiplex GX240 with a 1.5 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM. I can't afford to buy a new one... I can't allow lots of realtime protection or system goes too slow in spite of having $47/month cable modem.

So.... I would like to know if anyone else had this virus and what they learned about it. I think it is a "redirect virus". I am wondering if I have to reformat/reinstall everything ... what have people done to remedy it?

Of course, probably you all don't get viruses if you're hanging around here! You've made yourselves safe now ... But I believe this year it is getting a whole lot easier for "them" to take over your PC! I know that sounds paranoid! But I guess it's not so paranoid now...

Also, I have Malwarebytes anti-malware realtime protection and it is constantly popping up telling me it stopped access to potential malware site. I don't understand that popup. How can a site be accessed from my PC when I am not doing anything and supposedly I have no viruses? Why would my PC be trying to access a potentially bad site?

Thanks much,

Natelle
San Diego

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will this virus be back? How bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will this virus be back? How bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firewall?
by manmur / September 6, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

Are you using a Firewall? Comodo firewall is a good choice. The Bad sites will look for computers without a firewall. A firewall 'hides' any unused ports. Also depending on the settings, you can 'hide' your computer form the bad guys

You need a Firewall and anti-virus program. A Host file is also useful. Also you can try to use Superantispyware for a second option.

Noscript and WOT (Web-of-Trust) are useful add-ons for Firefox.

Noscript blocks all script from any new sit that is unknown to you.

WOT will show sites in a rating system. If a site is Red; wot will block the site. However you can still go to the site but it is not recommend. If you have to go to that site, check the users ratings for that sites.

Remember that you are the best and worst for your own computer. If you look at risky sites, you are deserving to be infected. Also no security programs will find everything.

manmur

Collapse -
Will try one at a time
by natbe / September 6, 2010 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewall?

manmur,

I don't have enough power in my PC to have a lot of realtime protection and still be able to use my PC. But I will try putting a firewall back on there. The antiviruses I have installed have not unconvered any viruses even when I have a virus ... It's not just AVG or Norton 360 or McAfee, is my guess ...

Anyway I tried before NOSCRIPT and had problems getting it installed.

Thanks for the suggestions and information.

Natelle

Collapse -
A Couple of Scanners To Try..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 7:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you for the tip!
by natbe / September 6, 2010 10:14 AM PDT

Carol,

I appreciate the help. I downloaded Hitman. it found some problems, possible rootkit, and repaired them. Then the software told me I need a registry cleaner. I used to have a registry cleaner (RegCure) but I refuse to pay $30 per year. So I am now looking for a free registry cleaner.

Natelle

Collapse -
You're Welcome, Natelle
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you for the tip!

Natelle..

You wrote, "Then the software told me I need a registry cleaner. I used to have a registry cleaner (RegCure) but I refuse to pay $30 per year."

The word "Advertisement" appears at the very top, where the "free registry scan" is offered. The same area, where it also says "The next step is to optimize, repair and clean your registry". Hitman Pro is not saying it's needed.

Personally, I don't feel registry cleaners are necessary. They tend to create more problems, than they solve. (IMO) Read "Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?". It's informative, if nothing else.

I don't use a registry cleaner, per se, but I DO use CCleaner which along with other features, has a rather "benign" (and safe) registry cleaner, incorporated into it. CCleaner's Slim Build (at the bottom) comes without a toolbar. It's also FREE.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Registry cleaners
by natbe / September 6, 2010 2:13 PM PDT

Yes, I wanted to know if people buy registry cleaner subscriptions. Thanks for your opinion...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.