Laptops forum

General discussion

Will this laptop support this program?

by TLM668 / December 12, 2007 3:18 AM PST

I am wanting to purchase a cheap laptop just as a backup to my desktop. I am thinking about buying the ASUS Eee PC 4G laptop. The only thing I would use it for is to install a program Published by Punch ! software. The program is a Macintosh System 10.4, the Platform is: Mac, Software program name: Home Design Studio.

Does anyone know if this computer is capable of running this program effectively?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will this laptop support this program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will this laptop support this program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 3:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Will this laptop support this software
by TLM668 / December 12, 2007 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: No.

I got a message stating you responded to my inquiry. However, I am unable to see a responce..

Collapse -
(NT) Answered in the subject title. "No."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 4:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Why won't this laptop support this program?
by TLM668 / December 12, 2007 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: No.

What type of laptop do I need to be looking for?

Collapse -
It needs a Mac with Macintosh System 10.4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 4:59 AM PST

The model you noted is not from Apple so the answer is no. I'm unsure if you need a primer on how Macs are different. But post that as a new question if need be.

Collapse -
(NT) The Mac Software works on my HP desktop - why not ASUS laptp
by TLM668 / December 12, 2007 5:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 6:26 AM PST

That is not what you told us in your first post. Try this. Supply a link to said title.

Also the Asus EE I know of runs Linux so be sure you match the software with the OS that's on the target machine.

Bob

Collapse -
The ASUS is basically a beginners laptop.
by orlbuckeye / December 12, 2007 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Odd.

It is completely solid state and has 4 gig of space and about 2.5 is taken with OS and installed apps. You can use SD memory to increase the space.

Collapse -
Look at the first post asking if it will run Mac software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 12:06 AM PST

Maybe some details were left out?

Collapse -
What Laptop under $500 can run a Mac software program?
by TLM668 / December 13, 2007 2:06 AM PST

As stated prior - there is only one software program I want to use. It is a program Published by Punch ! software. The program is a Macintosh System 10.4, the Platform is: Mac, Software program name: Home Design Studio. I enjoy arcutecture designs for my own pleasure. I don't share the designs I create with anyone, I just enjoy doing this in my spare time as a hobby. I have this software installed on my desktop now which is a HP system I purchased 3 years ago. It was top of the line at that time but no enhansements have been done to my HP system. I would like to purchase an inexpensive laptop that will allow me to run this program. I will not use the laptop for any other purpose, I would go to my desktop. I want to find a laptop for under $500 that is capable of running this software. Do you have any suggestions?

BestBuy sells the ASUS Eee PC as well as this software. The nearest BestBuy is over an hour away. I was hoping to purchase this on line but I don't want to purchase something I can't use.

Collapse -
And there are NO machines that run the Mac OS that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 2:13 AM PST

Are not from Apple. There must be a PC Windows version on that CD.

Back to your question. The answer is NO given your first post. Also the follow up answer is simply this. The OS listed on the CD must be on your new machine or it doesn't run.

"I want to find a laptop for under $500 that is capable of running this software."

There are plenty of such laptops in the USA. Geeks.com has a pile of refurbs which will do fine IF there is a PC Windows version of that software. But I'd update your posts to include a link to said software because as presented it only runs on Apple computers.

Bob

Collapse -
OS on the CD
by TLM668 / December 13, 2007 4:39 AM PST

I will check the CD and verify what the operating system is and then look at Geek.com to see if I can find a laptop. If I am unabe to determine this OS is on a laptop they have, they should have a support team I can contact. Thanks for your info. You have been very helpful.

Collapse -
That ASUS run LINUX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: OS on the CD

I'm amazed that the sellers are not telling you this or that information is not on the internet.

Bob

Collapse -
Info Made Available
by TLM668 / December 13, 2007 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: That ASUS run LINUX.

Me Too... Sometimes I believe little information is made available with intention of making multiple purchases to achieve your goals. You know how women are. We keep the economy going.

My son directed me toward the CNet path and I am very thankful. I had my husband order my 3rd digital camera and when my son became aware of this, he told me to research the camera reviews on CNet. Once I logged in and done my reviews we canceled the order and I had my husband go purchase a different one.

Now here I am thinking about a laptop and once again I go to CNet to read reviews and obtain info. I am so thankful knowledgable people, like yourself are available to give me direction. Otherwise I am guaranteed to make a purchase out of stupidity and then be discouraged and not sure which way to turn.

Collapse -
Should the Windows XP orogram be loaded in a ASUS Eee PC?
by TLM668 / December 14, 2007 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Info Made Available

I have looked at the software Home Arcutechture Design software program I am currently using on my HP desktop. The OS is Windows. My desktop uses Windows XP. Based on what I have read the ASUS laptop I am thinking about buying has Linux OS. Can the Windows XP system be loaded in the ASUS? If Yes, are there any reasons why this shouldn't be done or any extra steps that should be taken or anything I should be made aware of?

Collapse -
All indications are "NO."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2007 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Info Made Available

Besides, the cost of a XP License would push the costs to the point you can afford one of those laptops from geeks.com

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!