Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Will there EVER be a tipping point?

As details emerge on this Joseph E. Duncan III that was found with Shasta Groene, I am just spitting nails.

His online resume is no longer available, but his blog is:
http://fifthnail.blogspot.com/2005_05_01_fifthnail_archive.html

SICKENING.

This man's history begins at age 16 where he sodomized a 14 y.o. boy at gunpoint. For which he served 14 years of a 20 year prison term. So THIS PAST FRIGGIN MARCH, after being a REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER AND ON THE POLICE RADAR, he is accused of molesting two children under 10 on a playground. The prosecutor only requests 25K bail! Cry and the judge only sets it at $15K! So the jerk gets out to walk the streets.

As one TV commentator noted -- ESPECIALLY with everything in the news of late -- even without the prior history, what is the judge doing letting him out so easy on the latest charges? And WHEN will there be a tipping point where we as a society DEMAND accountability on the part of the "State" (all governments/law enforcement) to for once and for all remove these animals from society PERMANENTLY.

Over the weekend we heard from Martha that her nick in the clink was M.Diddy. That she has learned how to remove her electronic monitoring bracelet. Don't we all feel safer knowing that she has to have one and we are spending megabucks to monitor her every move -- when an ANIMAL like Duncan was free to blog away about how he was being harrassed by cops merely verifying his required registration.

I am so sick of this!

Evie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will there EVER be a tipping point?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will there EVER be a tipping point?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 15k judge complained that he can only go by what the

In reply to: Will there EVER be a tipping point?

prosecutor tells him. He had to go check the court records to see what he was told. I don't know if he ever said what he found. The judge apparently thought molesting kids was no big deal - he HAD to know what the charge was. You would think he would AT LEAST order him held until any prior history was investigated.

Collapse -
Somebody dropped the ball.

In reply to: The 15k judge complained that he can only go by what the

A lot of people, I think. His original 14 year sentence was far too light. It should have been life. It looks to me like tThe whole bail thing was a snafu on the part of the prosecutor and the judge. Cases involving sex offenders should raise a red flag. Bail should never be allowed in such cases.

I think we have to face the fact that these offenders are different from other criminals. They need to be treated differently and isolated from society. In certain violent cases, even if there has been no death of a victim, the death penalty should be allowed.

Collapse -
What really gets me ...

In reply to: Somebody dropped the ball.

... is that he spent many months complaining on his blog about the hassle of being checked up on by the cops, etc. He apparently was ''known'' in this regard as he wrote the Chief of Police and posted the response on his blog. He could be making this crap up, but it seemed pretty real from the bits I've had the stomach to read through.

In any case, anyone picked up for a sexual assault on a child should be held while all databases are exhausted. He wasn't using an alias. He had a record. This should have come up in a cursory search of databases available to the public for crying out loud. I blame judge and prosecutor here, and a continuing ''something must be done'' but nothing ever seems to be attitude of the general public. We all need to pressure our elected officials to strengthen the laws for these animals.

I just feel awful for the family. Thank God at least Shasta survived. But she's going to have scars Cry I can't even begin to imagine the mixed emotions the father must be going through.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
And the irony, Paul, is that this maggot ran a web site

In reply to: Somebody dropped the ball.

arguing that sentences for sex offenders should be lighter -- and his major income was apparently from donations to the site Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
and the good news is

In reply to: And the irony, Paul, is that this maggot ran a web site

his major income was apparently from donations to the site

maybe they can do a "Capone" on him, give him 30 years for tax evasion...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's long past that point.

In reply to: and the good news is

Collapse -
The better news would be....

In reply to: and the good news is

....if they did a little checking on the donors and took more sex offenders off the street as a result.

Collapse -
I think we in North America may be on the verge of reaching

that tipping point now. For some unknown (to me anyway) reason, sentencing for offences against children, for rape, sodomy, and murder is less than it is for the same offences committed against adults. The sooner we say that offences against children are a special category and deserve harsher sentences the happier the majority of Americans and Canadians will be. God knows I'm a liberal, but not on this issue, not least because there is so little effort made at treating sex-offenders and so little success in the long run. There needs to be a special class of prison and special legislation which recognizes that this is a crime which has generational resonance through the population. If sex offenders could be removed from society and thir victims given intensive and extensive counselling, the cycle of offenders causing their victims to become offenders could be broken.

Rob

Collapse -
Some cant be rehabilitated

In reply to: I think we in North America may be on the verge of reaching

especially if that person is a sociopath. Wonder if they ever test for that? I think Id rather see people stay in prison for life than to see them out where theyre likely to do harm. I wonder if we actually do have the capacity to do more than lip service where counseling is concerned, when it is ordered by the court. These people can learn to say what they are supposed to say when they are supposed to say it, and all that, and after a couple of years in counseling, they are let go. Probably there is too much pressure on the system because of new criminals put in the system, anyway. That would be especially true for people put in prison for a few years. Another reason to put them in prison and throw the key away.

BTW, I wish they wouldnt treat priests as if they are a different category.

Collapse -
Slate article quotes a risk of reoffence of 50%, which is

significantly lower than I expected. If assessment can be improved to screen out a significant portion of the 50% who reoffend, there's a chance to actually make a difference to this tragedy. It's a different sort of crime, why not a better and more targetted punishment and treatment campaign?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2093582/

Rob

Collapse -
If I do a search on recifivism

In reply to: Slate article quotes a risk of reoffence of 50%, which is

I get different numbers and what seems to be different assumptions which confuse the issue. There are rates based upon reconviction, and estimated rates based upon who knows what. Certainly the known numbers of offenses is not as high as the unknown offenses. Any offense is unacceptable to me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.