Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Will the "Justice Brothers" cross the border to help?

by duckman / April 20, 2007 12:04 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will the "Justice Brothers" cross the border to help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will the "Justice Brothers" cross the border to help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also noted,
by John Robie / April 20, 2007 12:20 AM PDT

"Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation." Wonder if Al Sharpton will volunteer 'pro-bono'.

Collapse -
RE: they wouldn't sit on the couch.
by JP Bill / April 20, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

And it's against the law to remove the offending tag.

Collapse -
They could remove it...
by J. Vega / April 20, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

You can remove the tag after you buy it, the law about not removing it applies only to the stores.

Collapse -
Oh Yeah?
by JP Bill / April 20, 2007 4:20 AM PDT
Under Penalty of Death

To more effectively prevent the removal of the "Do Not Remove" tag, your government may allow for the use of the additional phrase "Under Penalty of Law." This is meant to increase the severity of the warning, as well as to increase your anxiety level after you, the consumer, have (again, invariably) removed the tag.

Because so many people today simply thumb their noses at empty promises of incarceration, most recently-manufactured "Do Not Remove" labels now contain the somewhat sterner warning, ?Under Penalty of Death.? In countries such as Great Britain and Rwanda, where tag-removal has been a capital crime for many years, consumers simply treat the "death tag" as the government's way of "showing that they care."

In the United States, this draconian measure was put in place shortly after World War II, as part of an agreement with the USSR made during the 1945 Yalta Conference. According to contemporary historians, US President Franklin D. Roosevelt felt that the inclusion of the more "draconian" phrase would placate Soviet leader Joseph Stalin by giving him a more convenient legal basis for his already-established policy of simply killing anyone he wanted to whenever the mood struck him. Unbeknownst to Roosevelt, however, Stalin mandated that the labels be attached not only to mattresses, pillows, and home furnishings, but virtually everything in the Soviet Union ? including cattle, grain, farm machinery, toilet paper, corn muffins, and soiled diapers. This effectively ensured that everyone under Soviet Communist rule would, at some point, remove a label and thereby sign their own death warrant.

Wink
Collapse -
statewide mandates to restore public trust
by JP Bill / April 20, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Lost in translation"....
by Angeline Booher / April 20, 2007 1:37 AM PDT

.... has happened to me many times over the years. Reading the instructions for putting together bikes and gym sets for the kids, to some "assembly required" furniture has come up with some doozies.

It was obviously a translation error, and not intentional.

IMO, notifying the media was bad enough (the company could have been contacted), but even considering a lawsuit is ridiculous.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
My favorite...
by J. Vega / April 20, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

My favorite was the instructions that came with a bicycle that I got for my little boy for a Christmas present. The instructions were in extremely broken English. I posted about it before way back in the Podium days. The funny thing was wherever it was supposed say to fasten something with a certain type of screw, it didn't say screw, but a 4-letter word that started with "f" and rhymes with something that goes quack.

Collapse -
Can you say "over reaction"?
by grimgraphix / April 20, 2007 2:36 AM PDT

At least on Moore's part...

but as soon as I saw the comment "Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation" then I realized the real motivation here.

grim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?