HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Will the GeForce 7600GT card work with my stock 300watt PSU?

by deeppolverizingkidd / March 19, 2007 9:13 AM PDT

I have a computer with integrated video memory and I want to upgrade it to a dedicated video card. I'm looking at the GeForce 7600GT card. It says that it requires a minimum 350-watt power supply and 18 Amps on the +12V. My stock PSU has 300-watt and 19 Amps on the +12V. Will the GeForce 7600GT work with my PSU? My system configuration is below:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor with HT
1 DVD/+-RW drive
1 SATA 160GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
1 Gig of pc4200 ddr2 sdram (1 stick only)
1 PCI 56k modem
1 PCI 10/100 NIC

I plan on adding another 1 gig of ram in the future. Everything else will stay the same expect for the possible 7600GT card.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will the GeForce 7600GT card work with my stock 300watt PSU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will the GeForce 7600GT card work with my stock 300watt PSU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might work for now but I'd plan on replacing in the not too
by VAPCMD / March 19, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

distant future. You never want to under power your PC.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
NO NOT A CHANCE
by ask4anu / March 21, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

you need at least 500 watts or better
i also recommend a battery back up unit on that new PSU also

1-800-

Collapse -
difference?
by Hollow06 / March 21, 2007 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: NO NOT A CHANCE

"18 Amps on the +12V. My stock PSU has 300-watt and 19 Amps on the +12V"

That actually is a difference?? Is that normal?

Collapse -
BUT your OVER ALL MAXIMUM WATTAGE =300 no more no less
by ask4anu / March 21, 2007 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: difference?

it isnt a matter or amps here cause it is DC voltage we are talking about what MATTERS is the overall WATTAGE that the PSU can supply and a card like a 7600 will make a 300 watt power supply SCREAM RAPE jump out of your case and run down the street crying it hurts it hurts if it will even run at all them cards have not one but TWO 12 volt dongle rails supplying the multi processors not too mention the fact that your mother board and processor might not be fast enough to power the card right too

1-800-

Collapse -
Doesn't the 7600GT uses little power?

I thought that the 7600 GT uses little power. I read somewhere that the 7600 GT use about 40 watts only. I don't believe that my system is fully loaded so wouldn't it be able to run then?

Collapse -
while still if only 40 watts there
by ask4anu / March 22, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

your hard drive/s require power cd dvd roms usb ps2 mouse all that needs power to run and NVIDIA RECOMMENDS A MINIMUM OF 400 watt power supply for any card from 5900 up

1-800-

Collapse -
MINIMUM of 350 watt
by deeppolverizingkidd / March 23, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

Nvidia recommends a minimum of 350 watt for the 7600GT but that minimum 350 watt is for a fully loaded system. I don't believe I have a fully loaded system, do I? So based on the configuration I have for my computer listed in the first post, does that still mean I could still use my 300 watt stock power supply?

Collapse -
get a new psu.
by bklynrickel / March 23, 2007 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: MINIMUM of 350 watt

i was new psu phobic. didn't want to perform surgery on my computer. but installation of a new psu was a cinch after all. 10 minutes for me. no post op problems either. always a good idea to upgrade the psu. it puts less wear and tear on the system to have more watts. the more watts the merrier. then you don't have to worry, and you can just enjoy your gaming.

Collapse -
Try It, but probably go with 400 watt
by AdamJ34 / March 27, 2007 4:53 AM PDT

The 7600gt is a midrange card and isn't a huge power hog like the newer, higher end cards out there today. It only draws 36 watts at peak and 16 at idle vs. 109 watts for the Radeon x1900xt at peak. It will probably work fine with your 300 watt supply. Give it a shot and see what you think. Otherwise, a 400 watt supply should be plenty. If you're looking to upgrade for the future start at 600 watt+.

Collapse -
One more thing...
by AdamJ34 / March 27, 2007 4:58 AM PDT

A standard 7600 gt 256mb only requires 18 amps on the 12v rail so my guess is that you should be ok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.