Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a laptop from Dell - Inpiron 1525. It will have Windows Vista Home Basic Edition SP1 installed. I use MS Office97 on my desktop and have the install CD for it. Does anyone know if I can install and run this software on the laptop under Windows Vista?

Regards,

Jainagray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista?

In reply to: Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista?

The short answer is probably not. Office 97 was made for Windows 95 and 98 users. Vista is built very differently than Windows 95 and 98.

What you can try to do is run Office 97 in Vista's Compatibility Mode. This will allow you to run the program as if you were running it on an older system. The way you set this up is you right-click on the Office 97 icon and go to Properties. From there, click the Compatibility tab.

A screenshot and detailed instructions can be found at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Collapse -
office 97 on vista

I have vista basic on a minimal configured pc and installed office 97 and use all features with no problem.

Collapse -
Pretty sure

Pretty sure, though not positive, that Office2000 on will work fine with Vista, but older versions get to be a bit iffy.

Of course there's OpenOffice which is a free alternative, and should be every bit as capable as Office97. Microsoft has come out and said that they consider OpenOffice to be about OfficeXP level, so that's 2 releases beyond what you have.

Collapse -
Parts did work, others failed.

But let me start with the fact you can open and edit Word 97 documents with Open Office and save them in Word 97 document format.

Word 97 sort of ran. There was a launch error but it ran.
Spell check failed.
Access 97 was chock full of errors so I'll call that a total wipeout.
Excel had the same open error as Word 97 so while it ran, it was not without error.

Try Open Office.
bob

Collapse -
Will an old copy of windows office run on vista

Well the short answer is NO,you can try but from my experience it will not run,it may not even load!!! Hope this helps Whiskey 63

Collapse -
Older versions of MS Office on Vista

I am using Office 2000 on Vista Home Premium quite successfully.

Collapse -
Bob's experience is typical, but not a rule.

I have run Office 97 Small Business Edition on computers using Windows XP and now Vista Home Premium with almost no problems (and yes, Bob, the spell check does work).

That said, I am transitioning to Open Office, as the issues Bob noted do crop up now and again, and I'm tired of doing workarounds...

Collapse -
Office 97

I am running Office 97 on a HP desktop that came with Vista home premium. Getting it loaded was a struggle and it runs, but kind of hinky sometimes. The only things we regularly use are Excel and Word. Excel seems to work fine, Word stalls sometimes. I think I will move to Open Office instead of the overpriced MS Office

Collapse -
Will Older Version of MS Office Run on Vista? Office 2K fine

Office 2000 runs perfectly on Vista.

Collapse -
Dell 1535

I just bought this and love it ...good luck!

Collapse -
Help with Office 2000 & Vista

In reply to: Dell 1535

I am thinking of installing Office 2000 on my Vista machine. How hard was it to install? Any bumps, or roadblocks to be aware of? I would appreciate any help.

Collapse -
In short.

In reply to: Help with Office 2000 & Vista

Uninstall other versions, install Office 2000.

Collapse -
Office 2000 & Vista

In reply to: In short.

Uninstall what? I have a new "off the shelf" computer that I haven't added anything to and it only has the "trial version" of excel and word, which are the only programs I want. I only need the older versions since I only do basic letters and spreadsheets. I know I am not very computer literate and want to make sure I get all information before I attempt this (if I attempt this). Thank you so much.

Collapse -
You found it.

In reply to: Office 2000 & Vista

That 'trial' version should be uninstalled. This is all I did and my Office installed fine.

Collapse -
Vista and Office 2000

In reply to: You found it.

Thank you so much. I just might give it a try.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.