General discussion

will my 24" intel i-mac's dvd player play Region 2 (UK) dvds

Hi!
Before buying a region 2 (europe, uk) dvd and just winging it I thought I'd ask the forum if this dvd player in the slot in my 24" intel i-mac running leopard will play region 2 dvds.

Here is the specs from 'about this mac' about my dvd player: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DB09
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

THANKS!!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: will my 24" intel i-mac's dvd player play Region 2 (UK) dvds
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: will my 24" intel i-mac's dvd player play Region 2 (UK) dvds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It all depends

on where you purchased the iMac.

If you purchased it in the Europe/UK area, then Yes, it will definitely play it.

If you purchased it elsewhere you are still in with a chance.

Apple allows up to 5 region changes for your Optical drive. It comes set for the country/region that you purchased the computer.
When you insert a DVD from another region, the system will ask if you want to change to the region of the DVD and will tell you how many changes you have left. Once you reach the last change, that's all she wrote and you will be stuck at the last setting.

Does that help?

P

- Collapse -
Thanks - answers my ?

hi- I think buying a dvd that plays both formats now is the way to go. I'm surprised Apple limits this so much. Thanks for the help!

- Collapse -
It is not only Apple that limits

the regions on a DVD player.

All DVD manufacturers are required to limit the regions that it will play unless they pay for an extra license for an all regions device.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info