Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Will Microsoft's antivirus have issues with Google's Chrome

by annienme / April 5, 2015 5:50 PM PDT

My Norton antivirus program is about to expire and I was going to switch to Microsoft Antivirus, but will it have issues with Google's Chrome Browser instead of Internet Explorer as a browser?
Have been using Norton with no problems until recently when I got a message to upgrade it. Doing so got me blue screen. Now I get a Norton message that my Chrome Browser is not protected and to install Norton Chrome extensions. So it seems Norton has a problem with Chrome also.

annienme has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will Microsoft's antivirus have issues with Google's Chrome
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will Microsoft's antivirus have issues with Google's Chrome
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by annienme

Collapse -
Re: antivirus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2015 6:06 PM PDT

First a warning: Microsoft Defender is rated very low. See the pic with the red bars in http://www.zdnet.com/article/antivirus-on-windows-88-1-compared/. If you want it free, avast, avira or avg are far better choices.

Most antivirus programs now come with a module that in some way check the links shown by a search engine or the links that you click against their database before you actually load them to minimise the risk of going to unsafe sites. If they don't have, they still should check the stuff coming from that site when you really load it. I thnk that the Norton message relates to some pro-active feature like that.
People here quite often use WOT as their reputability checker.

Kees

Collapse -
Following up Microsoft/Norton antivirus questions
by annienme / April 5, 2015 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: antivirus

Thank you very much for your speedy help! The Microsoft program I was considering was "Security Essentials" - is that the same as "Defender"? I do appreciate your guidance. If you feel that Norton is a safer program then by all means I will stick with it. I am running Windows 7. Thank you again - I look forward to your reply.

Collapse -
Re: antivirus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2015 6:44 PM PDT
http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials-which-one-do-i-need/ tells the details about these products. As usually, Microsoft manages to name and rename its services in ways that are uncomprehensible to most of us. But the negative reviews, I'm afradi, are about both.

And, if you happen to have Windows XP, you have to know that Microsoft will end updating MSE for that OS on July 15.

At work, we're using McAfee. At home, I use Avast for Windows 7 and Avira for Windows XP. And, if fact, your pruident surfing and download behaviour, and your knowing to not click on suspect links in (phishing) e-mails are best protection. But I just said I couldn't advice using MSE.

Kees
Collapse -
antivirus
by annienme / April 5, 2015 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: antivirus

Thank you very much, I will stay away from Microsoft, and go with one of the other programs you mentioned, and now my hopefully last question on this is do I need to remove Norton from my computer or does the new program do that?

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Essentials
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2015 6:47 PM PDT

Effectively Microsoft Security Essentials is just a beefed up version of Windows Defender.

Have a look at 2 reviews;

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

The article above is dated 2013 and you will see that they say "Now, Microsoft is advising Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead." Make of that what you will.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/internet-security/1402050/microsoft-security-essentials-review

The Experts Review article doesn't totally condemn MSE, but even so it does give it a low rating.

I agree with Kees and recommend one of the other free versions he suggested.

The Google Chrome browser is just that, an internet browser, and has no special problems. Personally I would stay away from anti-virus options, (whichever anti-virus you choose), to "protect" your browsers. In my experience this tends to slow down browser performance somewhat as the AV scans every bit of data entering or leaving the browser.

Mark

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Essentials
by annienme / April 6, 2015 2:18 AM PDT

Thank you very much, MarkFlax. It seemed so odd for Norton to suddenly be putting that message onto my monitor and I wondered if evening opening the message could be a virus.
When I recently accepting the "upgrade" offered by Norton, I failed to restart, and got a blue screen. I called Norton and their technician had me delete a Microsoft program, and now I have 618 MG in my "system error memory dump files" that I cannot remove.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!