Phones forum

General discussion

Will Hp GPS work in ASIA (South Korea)

by Soccer5 / March 2, 2006 7:25 AM PST

I have a HP 2700 series IPAQ and I was wondering if I could use it for GPS here in South Korea?

thanks

SOcer5

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will Hp GPS work in ASIA (South Korea)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will Hp GPS work in ASIA (South Korea)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you find some maps...
by John.Wilkinson / March 2, 2006 8:08 AM PST

The GPS hardware is a standard and usable anywhere in the world, so there won't be a problem using the iPaq Nav System, or any other GPS system, in your country. However, there may be an issue with the mapping software...I'm not sure if HP offers the same detailed mapping software in South Korea as they do in the US, Canada, and Europe; it's not something I've looked into. (You can find out by checking HP's Korean website...I tried but it automatically redirected me to the US version.) If HP does not offer maps for your region you can still purchase the HP GPS system, but would then have to purchase the applicable mapping software for your region from a third-party.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
sorry for barging in your thread
by penti01 / March 2, 2006 2:27 PM PST

I'm in the Philippines and I was wondering if I get the iPAQ GPS from USA, will it work in the Philippines? Disregard the map problems coz i found a good software for it.

Collapse -
Yes...
by John.Wilkinson / March 3, 2006 12:37 AM PST

The GPS hardware is basically the same no matter where you purchase it, and will work anywhere you take it. It will automatically find (it may take up to 15 minutes the first time, then 90 seconds thereafter) and use the nearest GPS satellites to you. As long as the software you've chosen is compatible with the hardware (usually not a problem), you're good to go.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
but...
by penti01 / March 3, 2006 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

I haven't seen any GPS systems sold here in my country... What if the nearest satellite is somewhere in Japan? Its not that far but is it still possible?

Collapse -
They're everywhere...
by John.Wilkinson / March 3, 2006 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: but...

The Global Positioning System (run by the United States Air Force) is one system that is not 'preferential' to certain countries. It consists of 24 satellites, divided equally between 6 ddiferent orbital paths, that circle the planet twice every day. At any given time, no matter where you are in the world, you should have line-of-sight with at least 4 of the satellites. It also does not matter how far the satellites are from you...it still receives the signal, provided there is line-of-sight, and uses the distance as a variable in it's calculations of your exact location. Thus, GPS will work no matter where you are or where the satellites are located in space at any given time.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Just like to add that the EU (Eropean Union), China, and Russia are all developing their own satellite navigational systems, but at this time are still far from matching that of the US GPS.

Collapse -
thanks, didn't know about that...
by penti01 / March 4, 2006 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: They're everywhere...

thanks... never knew about the USA Air Force system. Just another quick question, it is free right? Other than buying the hardware, there are no monthly fees or anything...

Collapse -
Right...
by John.Wilkinson / March 5, 2006 1:04 AM PST

There are no catches, monthly charges, etc...as long as you have the hardware and software, you're good to go. Now, since you found the previous data interesting, here's a little more. I'm sure you'll find the last fact the most stimulating.
--------------------------------------------------------
The other three satellite navigational systems are:

Beidou: Controlled by the People's Republic of China, but has a very limited coverage area...mostly just China.

GLONASS: Controlled by the Russian Space Forces, but was crippled by a lack of funding years ago and is slow to recover, making it almost insignificant at this time.

Galileo: Will be controlled by the European Union and cover the entire planet, just like the American GPS, but will not be operational until 2010.
-------------------------------------------------------
And, as usual, I've saved the best for last: In December 2004, US President Bush developed plans to disable GPS in the event of a terrorist attack, war, or other matter of national security. ''Disable'' would depend on the exact situation...most likely 'blacking out' a certain region, such as Washington DC, for use by anyone outside the US military. The reasoning behind this is that a lot of planes, missiles, etc rely on GPS, so shutting GPS down for the region of a potential target would make it much more difficult for a surgical strike.

The US government has 'interfered' with GPS for reasons of national security before, and the latest is just a measure being taken as a result of 9/11. (2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and potentially Camp David, the presidential resort.) Previously actions were taken based on plans created after an event, not plans created in advance as a precaution.

John

Collapse -
thanks
by penti01 / March 5, 2006 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: Right...

really helped. hope i can find hardware for my hx2790...

again, sorry for interfering with your thread.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?