Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

will emachines recovery cd reinstall complete os?

Hi, I'm new here, I hope you can help me with this. My computer became extremely unstable over a month ago. After cleaning out some malware and trying numerous other "fixes", I finally was frustrated enough to format my hard drive (an eMachines computer that came with Windows 7 and a product key for it). Since I had no Windows 7 disk, I installed an old copy of XP (yeah, impeccable timing for no support, I know). The system is still kind of wobbly.
I just found I could send for an eMachines recovery CD. Does it contain a complete Windows OS to start from scratch with factory settings?
All info greatly appreciated, as I am lost in darkness at present! Thanks!

alittleknowledgeis has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: will emachines recovery cd reinstall complete os?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: will emachines recovery cd reinstall complete os?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by alittleknowledgeis

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: will emachines recovery cd reinstall complete os?

As long as the recovery media is for your exact machine. Otherwise you run into OEM issues.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Further to this.

In reply to: Yes.

You might want to research "canned air and thermal paste".

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Indeed!

In reply to: Further to this.

I have sent for the recovery CD. I would like to reinstall Windows 7 if possible, or at least have the recovery disk help get XP into better shape if not?
You are right though, heat seems to be a problem. I wondered, and got a free program (SpeedFan) to monitor temps. It was running with the hard drive about 44C, then it would crash frequently, often just the monitor. I removed one side of the casing, blew some canned air into there that my stepson gave me (not a huge amount of dust, but a cobwebby-looking layer on the metal fins behind the main fan). It is an eMachines EL1330, parts jammed in a smallish box, hard drive tucked in behind the DVD player - the hard drive was getting fairly hot to the touch. For now I am running it with the box open, and an external fan blowing on it. Hard drive temp now 37 C, better than before, and it does seem to be running better than before. When I called my stepson just now he said it needs a better fan - he'll likely fix that for me, also he would know about thermal paste, he's pretty good with hardware, I'm not.
Thanks a bunch for the assistance!

Collapse -
Great but.

In reply to: Indeed!

A good cleaning with canned air that is, fans and cpu would help a lot. Have your stepson do the work and let us know.
All the best,
Dafydd.

Collapse -
it was a heat problem

In reply to: Great but.

You were right about the heat! Sorry for not giving further feedback sooner - I keep the computer at my office and am only at it part of the week. My stepson replaced the fan (it was only running 600 rpm) with one which runs around 3000 rpm, and put in some heat paste (he calls it thermal grease). The hard drive will get up to 47C at times, but the cpu stays around 26 to 30 degrees, and all seems stable so far.
The eMachines recovery CD did indeed reload the entire Windows 7 operating system - it gave me a choice of that or repairing Windows 7 while keeping old files, since I just had XP on there I went for the whole hog choice.
All seems well now (knock on wood), but I do wonder if I should not have opted for "load essential programs and updates only" rather than "recommended programs and updates", as it has put a whole load of stuff on my machine, much of which I know little about, and am dubious about activating.
I may yet reload again using the "essential" option, or perhaps just change my Windows update settings?
The swift and accurate advice you gave me is very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.