Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Will CoD2 and Civ IV work on my Mac PowerBook G4?

by Michael Grosack / July 17, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

I'm really interested in playing Call of Duty 2 and Civilization IV on my Mac PowerBook G4. I don't have the money to buy a new Mac with an Intel chip, nor do I want to shell out $100 for two games that won't work on my computer. I've heard mixed things online about how these games will run on my computer (which I know does not meet the specified system requirements). Some say they work just fine (though not perfectly) and others say that they won't run at all. Can anyone give me a definitive answer about whether or not these games will work? Here are my specs:

Mac PowerBook G4
1.67 Ghz
1 GB DDr SDRAM
128 MB VRAM

THANKS!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will CoD2 and Civ IV work on my Mac PowerBook G4?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will CoD2 and Civ IV work on my Mac PowerBook G4?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well,
by Loktoar / July 19, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

if you look on the box, it should say somewhere PC CD ROM. If it says that, its PC format. If it says MAC and (not always) universal on the front, than yes it will work. Its just a formatting thing. If you dont have them MAC formatted, I think they sell those games at the apple store. I had the same problems with format when I got my iMac G5.

Collapse -
Thanks, but not really what I was asking.
by Michael Grosack / July 19, 2006 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Well,

I was more wondering if my system is up to the task of running the mac versions of these games (that is to say, can my computer handle the graphics and audio), which were recently released. Thanks anyway though.

Collapse -
Technically, no...
by John.Wilkinson / July 19, 2006 3:07 PM PDT

Both CoD2 and Civilization IV have the same requirements when it comes to the Mac:
* Mac OS X 10.3.9
* 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5
* 512 MB RAM
* 4.0 GB free disk space
* NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 or ATI Radeon 9600 or higher
* 64 MB VRam

While your RAM and VRam are good, your processor is a little under specification and there's no mention of the model of graphics card or version of OS you have.

If that wasn't bad enough, those are the minimum requirements...it's recommended that you be running OS X 10.4.6 on a 2GHz+ G5 with 1GB RAM and 128MB VRam.

You could try to swing it, but there's no guarantee.

Sorry.
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?