Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Will CNET being sold affect these forums?

It looks like CNET is looking for a buyer for the company now that they are on a better financial footing than 2 years ago. The obvious question is whether CNET will be left "as is" or will certain parts of it be done away with. We already know how the forums seem last in line too often, I don't know if that mentality is still part of CNET. Even if it is, it might not be the mindset of whoever buys it. Something to think about. What or where will forum members go if these forums are done away with after a buyout? At least this is an early notice of possible impending actions with enough lead time to give some serious thought to it.

CNET to be sold to Viacom or Interactive?

"Shares of CNET Networks Inc. surged more than 10 percent Thursday based on a published report that the company is looking for a buyer.

The New York Post reported the technology information portal may be "shopping itself" to investors, including Viacom Inc. and InterActiveCorp, setting off intense speculation among analysts and shareholders.

CNET, which provides online news, product reviews and software downloads, would not comment on the rumors...."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will CNET being sold affect these forums?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will CNET being sold affect these forums?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Will CNET being sold affect these forums?

In reply to: Will CNET being sold affect these forums?

What or where will forum members go if these forums are done away with after a buyout?

I already spend most of my time at scienceforums.com these days. I also participate in some of the forums at FindLaw from time to time. I do hope these forums remain here though. I can't stand the places like free-republic or democratic-underground for political discussions.
Collapse -
BTW, I posted a note in Findlaw

In reply to: Re: Will CNET being sold affect these forums?

About the imminent domain decision. As yet, thereve been no bites.

Collapse -
Re: BTW, I posted a note in Findlaw

In reply to: BTW, I posted a note in Findlaw

The conversation can be slow over there. There is a conversation started on that topic all ready on the Constitutional Law/Supreme Court board.

Collapse -
Ill check it out...Ive always posted

In reply to: Re: BTW, I posted a note in Findlaw

in General Discussion. I remember it being more lively than that. I used to post more often as something of a regular.

Collapse -
Given the decline in their usage I would imagine

that the forums will be considered expendable as they are really not revenue producing.

Even if they do go though I am sure we will all survive and find substitutes when the time comes.

Collapse -
With the additional ads

In reply to: Given the decline in their usage I would imagine

I wonder if thats made a difference, or if that was to make the site more attractive to a buyer?

Collapse -
site value

In reply to: With the additional ads

I don't know if the ad revenue in these forums is a big issue for or against a purchase of CNET. I see one banner ad above and a couple left column ones. I do wish the site loaded properly in my Netscape 7. It works OK in Firefox, so maybe some changes I made in programming files for my Netscape 7 crapped up the look, but it only happens here. The left column is half off the page for me, not able to scroll it over.

Collapse -
I use NS7.2 at 800x66 and things look fine, James.

In reply to: site value

I don't use higher resolution except for games, as I don't want to have to wear glasses to read what's on the screen!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Netscape 7 or 8

In reply to: I use NS7.2 at 800x66 and things look fine, James.

I have Netscape 8, but haven't loaded it on yet to test it out. I also have a CD for 7.2, but have that on one daughter's computer and discovered they'd switched the right clk choices around from version 7. I prefer the version 7 having the "open in new tab" being at the top, whereas 7.2 has "open in new window". I tried to move those options around in the 7.2 pref files directly, but for some reason it didn't work out right and I've not been back at it to mess around with it again. Next time I'll use a text editor like UltraEdit to try that. If CNET just put a left margin statement in that Netscape recognized I think it would solve that problem, but again, it might be some change I made in the past that's caused it. I stripped out the red sheriff spyware that comes in it, also installed Sun Java 2 with it, so that may have some effect too. However, this is the only site I've noticed where the left margin is off by half that left column width. It's not too bad for posting since that ends up centered and is all on the screen.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That was supposed to be 800x600!

In reply to: Netscape 7 or 8

Collapse -
800 x 600

In reply to: (NT) That was supposed to be 800x600!

And here I thought you had a squinting problem, lol.
Actually, I realized what you meant to put. I run my 17" LCD on that setting too. If I move up to a 19" I might increase the factor more, but so far 800x600 is working for me.

Collapse -
Well I know of a nice set of forums that could be used

the TOS is/are much stricter though.

Collapse -
But would it be the same without...

In reply to: Well I know of a nice set of forums that could be used

...that bright mustard yellow color?

I wonder if color makes a difference on the postings and members of a forum? Who would be posting here if this was varying shades of pink and purple? What if it was devoted to earth tones? Maybe dark greys and blacks with neon colored print?

Collapse -
Why would a buyer dismantle them?

They bring "eyebalss" to the rest of the service, James, and the ads presumably bring in *some* revenue now, unlike the situation right after the dot com dot bomb.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Just wondering

In reply to: Why would a buyer dismantle them?

A new owner might view the forums more favorably than CENT seemed inclined to in the past. I remember it was very close then to them being done away with. I think they were concentrating on a format I don't like, but which has become more popular at newsites around the net now, and that is something similar to Talk Back, where you can comment on stories and that's about all. The trend lately seems to be away from forums, CNN being one of the leaders in leaving them behind. It's sort of a crap shoot on figuring what a buyer might do, and it would depend on who the buyer was too I think.

Collapse -
I just pray...

In reply to: Just wondering

It's not AOL/Time Warner!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.