The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will Boot Camp kill natvie MAC games?

by Cjdjncs / April 13, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

I live on my Powerbook, and have for several years since I made the switch. However I have had to keep and upgrade a PC to play all the new computer games. IF a game is ported to a Mac it can often lags behind the PC release by over a year.

Now that we can take our (Intel)Macs and boot into XP to run the games, will anybody take the time or effort to do the port? I would think that a lot of the small casual game houses will still survive, but will the big titles even bother?

Just a shout out to Blizzard for realeasing together and on hybrid disks, but they are the lone shining spot on the barren Mac gaming horizon.

-Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will Boot Camp kill natvie MAC games?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will Boot Camp kill natvie MAC games?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something I have noticed in the past
by rtemp / April 13, 2006 4:40 AM PDT

Large scale commercial games are mostly found early on Windows, but that's not to say that a large share of quality games don't exist on Macs. You just have to look at the shareware scene. Take just about any game made by Ambrosia (http://www.ambrosiasw.com), they are all high-quality offerings. Lately, I've been playing a lot of Escape Velocity and Harry the Handsome Executive on this old iBook that I rescued from work. Many hours of fun.

With any luck, this whole BootCamp thing will improve the Mac penetration by a large enough jump that they will start making games available earlier for Macs as an equivalent palatform, like they do with consoles.

One can dream.

-Ryan

Collapse -
I say bring it on
by MacHugger / April 13, 2006 5:48 AM PDT

This has been brought up in the tech sphere. At first I was a bit concerned about it but then I thought about why I would even care if a game is ported to the Mac OS now that Boot Camp exists. Here is why I no longer do...

Anytime I have been inside a game that exists for both the Mac and PC, I see almost no difference between the two. The "Mac experience" is superseded by the game's interface. It's not like hopping from Photoshop to After Effects to Dreamweaver to Word where we expect the same sort of menu items to be in the exact same place and have that conistent Mac feel we are used to. Games are different.

Warcraft on the Mac feels exactly like Warcraft on the PC. I just thank Blizzard for keeping them both current when Boot Camp didn't exist.

But to be honest, the PC has long been a better gaming machine because of the available titles. If Boot Camp opens the Mac up to that entire world, that's great with me.

The Mac experience for me is more about consistency from app to app and the overall user interface with its applications, the look and feel in the Finder and the overall speed and stability of a modern 64 bit operating system that isn't constantly attacked by some hacker or virus. To be absolutely honest, I hope the Macintosh NEVER takes more than 20% of the market. As long as I know it'll be there as an option for me, I'd rather the masses take all the bullets with their PCs.

Ask a Mercedes Benz or BMW owner if they wish everybody were driving one. H*ll no!!

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Actually thats totally up to you ...
by Redhats Q / April 13, 2006 6:48 AM PDT

From what I know as a tech. I would guess that about 70% of PC games are Clones that are ... shall we say of Dubious authenticity. The number of machines we get with ... Can you save the games... I dont have the install disks ... is scary.

Mac users on the other hand, tell me .. its ok, Save the data if you can, but if I have to I'll reinstall it.

Mac users pay more for the Experience, and usually pay for their games too. So long as there is money to be made in porting Games, companies like Aspyr/Blizzard will keep doing it.

I can't imagine that I would want an on-line game running under windows, but some might. At the end of the day the software will keep comming as long as there is a market who buy it.

Even if Mac sales doubled, and all the new mac users kept their windows habits of "borrowing" software, if the current sales levels are maintained, the games will stay available.

For me the thought of Dual Booting is a pain I would rather avoid, and where a mac alternative exists, I think Its where I will stay.

So even If I have a windows version of the Game first, I'll get the Mac version when it comes out, and put the windows version on one of the windows boxes.

Especially if I can do multiplayer over the Lan. I much prefer fraging people from the Mac.

I think this will be the case for pretty much all the Mac software. If I can run it on the MAc I will, If I have to use windows, at least I can.

Personally I dont really think Windows users will move to mac as much as mac users will stop buying Generic PC's and those who wished they had a mac, but were stuck with windows, will now have the option to bypass the pc purchase and go straight to mac.

Its only bad news for PC HARDWARE IMHO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.