TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Will blu-ray player be coming down soon?

by ahtoi / March 2, 2007 6:57 AM PST

I just saw this at Fry's; you can get a playstation 3 for $600.

built-in blu-ray disc player, hdmi output, blue tooth tech., wi-fi wireless and more.

If the disc isn't so expensive, I'd be out there getting one now, hehe.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will blu-ray player be coming down soon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will blu-ray player be coming down soon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well yes, but not much
by bevillan / March 2, 2007 7:00 AM PST

The next model of the blu-ray standalone will be approx. $600 so that is coming down from $1000. I'm not going to buy one till they are in the $300 range.

Collapse -
(NT) Which is looking to by the end of year actually
by bkchurch / March 2, 2007 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: well yes, but not much
Collapse -
beavrp
by jostenmeat / March 2, 2007 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: well yes, but not much

Do you happen to know which of the available blu-ray players has the best audio? Also, with 7.1 analog outputs? Do you happen to know if any player will have sacd and/or dvd-audio capability? just curious Happy

Collapse -
Um
by bkchurch / March 2, 2007 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: beavrp

The audio will probably be about the same on all the good players, check CNET's reviews to find out which one suits you. Oh and um there's no such thing as 7.1 analog outputs, a 7.1 surround signal can only be output through a digital cable which any Blu-Ray player will have in the form of HDMI and probably optical. Personally if price is of any matter to you I'd wait for price drops since the high def disc market isn't exactly huge at the moment. Sony's releasing a $600 player this summer and is rumored to have a $300 player out by the end of the year. I personally recommend getting a PS3 since it's currently the cheapest Blu-Ray player and very good one at that, you can be assured both the audio and video quality will be great and it has both HDMI and optical outputs. The only problem is it won't upconvert DVD's unless Sony fixes that in a future software update (which they probably will but it's hard to say when).

Collapse -
Really?
by jostenmeat / March 4, 2007 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Um

"Oh and um there's no such thing as 7.1 analog outputs, a 7.1 surround signal can only be output through a digital cable which any Blu-Ray player will have in the form of HDMI and probably optical."

From a very old article:
"The next generation of HD DVD players will likely feature 7.1-channel analog outputs and perhaps HDMI 1.3 outputs. The latter would enable all surround codecs to be transported in native form to future HDMI 1.3-equipped outboard decoders or A/V receivers with built-in decoders, the spokesman said...
Dolby Digital and DTS also stream through the players' S/PDIF, which also carries six-channel PCM soundtracks after down-conversion to two-channel PCM."

A different post (from the same attached link):
"If your receiver does not have HDMI 1.3, you will not be able to run discrete 7.1 HD lossless sound. It would be downconverted to a standard DTS or digital format that's in use today."

To this, Audioholic's Clint DeBoer replied (last May):
"You should be able to get it via analogue multichannel inputs. That's one of the "workarounds" DTS and DD are proclaiming in the first gen players"

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22061

So....
My spies have been telling me that as long as the player itself decodes the formats as lpcm or something (not bitstream), a 7.1 ANALOG output would be my holy grail. Should I kill off my spies bkchurch? Have things, formats, and outputs been truly solidified in the last year? Clue me in please?

Collapse -
Dude take a chill pill
by bkchurch / March 4, 2007 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Really?

I wasn't being hostile or anything. I just kinda figured since 5.1 DD and DTS can only be transmitted through a digital cable (optical, HDMI, or digital coax) the same would apply to 7.1, clearly I was wrong.

Collapse -
didn't know i was un-chill, sorry if i offended
by jostenmeat / March 4, 2007 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Dude take a chill pill

all I added was: "So....
My spies have been telling me that as long as the player itself decodes the formats as lpcm or something (not bitstream), a 7.1 ANALOG output would be my holy grail. Should I kill off my spies bkchurch? Have things, formats, and outputs been truly solidified in the last year? Clue me in please?"

So, obviously I am dependent on sources outside of myself, was trying to be humorous, and am truly looking to be better informed.

Seemed like persons in this thread were familiar with blu-ray and its capabilities. I am honestly uninformed because I have been heavily resarching other aspects of HT. Its just easier to ask here sometimes. Oh well. Guess Ill have to do the "legwork" myself and read up on some specs and look at the backs of all the offerings. Perhaps you are not "clearly wrong"! (This could be very important stuff to me as I want to be somewhat future-proofed with an expensive processor purchase I may make soon)

thank you, jostenmeat. p.s. keep me posted with anything you may find, Id appreciate it very much, 'till the next time...

Collapse -
I'VE HEARD AND READ THE SAME STUFF............
by Riverledge / March 3, 2007 4:52 PM PST

A STAND-ALONE model BLU-RAY by mid-July, $599.99; an entry-level model, $299 to $349 before the holidays. As mentioned, the PS/3 is your best bet right now.

river.

Collapse -
$300 sounds good.
by ahtoi / March 4, 2007 1:37 AM PST

I remember my purchase of a laserdisc player at $600; what a waste that was (although I was earning a salary at that time). Now I got to watch my money more closely.

Collapse -
BLUE RAY GOOD NEWS
by stewart norrie / March 4, 2007 2:02 AM PST

Got a Sony blue ray player 3 months ago and was about to sign up with netflex for rental movies but yesterday stopped by blockbuster and there they were all the blue ray titles for rental, I havent been off the couch since then. PEARL HARBER almost wet myself ha ha. I only wish I haddent sold my old DENON d.v.d. player it dis a much better job at upconverting standard d.v.d.s Also I have heard here at c. net of folks having problems with blue ray movies on there ps-3 so be careful steweee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?