The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Will antimicrobial, bacteria-dispersing glass make a difference in your everyday life??

by JustinaN CNET staff/forum admin / March 17, 2015 10:56 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Will antimicrobial, bacteria-dispersing glass make a difference in your everyday life??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Will antimicrobial, bacteria-dispersing glass make a difference in your everyday life??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Germs are not the problem!

What a bunch of wusses these germaphobes are. Your immune system is constantly reacting to old and new strains of bacteria, fungi and viruses by deactivating them, eating them up and other modes of repelling them or destroying them. If you don't expose your body to a variety of "germs" then the immune system will get lazy and not be as effective in it's role as a protector of our body. that is why children with germaphobe parents are less healthy as adults because their parents would not let them play in the dirt or get exposed to the childhood diseases when their immune systems were developing.

Collapse -
Bug should be checked as much as the human controlling them

I like the idea but I'd still rather have people use common sense and wash their hands coming out of the bathroom and sneezing into your shoulder to isolate bugs.

Just because our body has bugs every day doesn't mean that one stupid person has the right to spread the flu or their genetic code anywhere they want.

You can't kill all the bugs but there are some I just don't want anywhere near me or my hand held device

Collapse -
Add this to all the other antibacterial garbage!

These days we have antibacterial everything, from paint, to cleaning products and yet we have new strains of bacteria developing every day it seems, bacteria resistant to everything that's been developed to combat them.

What about using common sense and taking personal responsibility?? The 'old fashioned' idea of simply washing one's hands with SOAP, not magic antibacterial solutions or 'handy' wipes, is still the best way of preventing transference of disease, yet it seems to be the most unpopular solution.

Collapse -
Can't hurt

I have no idea if this technology works. In any case I suppose if it does work it won't hurt to reduce the bugs we are exposed to.

Collapse -
Could well cause more problems than it addresses

This probably represents an opportunistic marketing effort by the manufacturers and could well end up backfiring on us all.

Over -sanitisation of our environment has already produced negative results which were not forecast. It has led to serious reduction in the ability of our children to develop natural immunity to hazards, as well as an increase in those suffering from allergic reactions to materials in our surroundings.

As with over-use of antibiotics, this mass application of antiseptic measures is also likely to create resistant strains of bacteria, which eventually do not die in the presence of these chemical additives and for which we may run out of other options.

Already, the spread of silver-based anti-bacterial additives in things like washing liquids, plastic moulded food containers, worktop materials, paints and coatings, have led to irreversible pollution of soils and other sections of the environment with their residues, where the active element has been transferred to landfill sites or dumped into the surrounding habitat.

Other, beneficial, life forms can be affected or killed by these chemicals, particularly if their active effect is long-lived when they escape into the larger world.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.