General discussion

will a 30GB Western Digital Caviar HD work in my compact evo

i have a compact evo d510 from 2001. i need an internal hard drive for it and am looking on crigslist for one but dont want to get scerwed. a guy is offering me a 30GB Western Digital Caviar HD,3.5in IDE Type. will that work in my computer and is 20 bucks a good price?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: will a 30GB Western Digital Caviar HD work in my compact evo
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: will a 30GB Western Digital Caviar HD work in my compact evo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let's check the original spec.
- Collapse -
Most likely ...

that's comparable to the disk that's in it now. It's rather typical for around 2001. Open the case and have a look.

In that time a motherboard had IDE-connections. Each supported a master and a slave. So that's 4 IDE-devices in total. The typical PC came with one hard disk and one CD-ROM (or even a burner!). In that case you can add 2 other devices. Say a second hard disk and DVD-drive. Note the master-slave positions and settings (unless it's already cable-select, see the manual).

Are you sure 30 GB is enough? The PC probably would support 60 GB or 100 GB also. That would be a little bit more expensive.

The price is not unreasonable, although (given the law of demand and supply) it should be lower, because a 30 GB disk seen from today is ridiculously small so practically nobody wants one).

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info