Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

WildTangent keeps coming up on Spybot S&D

Everytime I run Spybot the wildtangent comes up in my scan. I fix it and then forget about it only to have it show up again in then next scan. This has happened probably 4 times now. How can I get rid of it, is there an update or something to run or is Spybot working the issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WildTangent keeps coming up on Spybot S&D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WildTangent keeps coming up on Spybot S&D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you have hpGuru's HOSTS file ?

In reply to: WildTangent keeps coming up on Spybot S&D

Collapse -
I am not sure??

In reply to: (NT) Do you have hpGuru's HOSTS file ?

How do I know whether or not I have HPGurus HOST file?

Collapse -
Another possibility Omerta is if

you have any of the WildTangent games on your computer that you play, it might keep coming back. WildTangent is a webdriver for many games that comes supplied on new HP and Compaq computers plus some of the online game sites use it and it will come on certain CD games that also use it. It is considered spyware because of their privacy policy. I had it on my new computer and I ignored with Spybot until I was done with the games and then I uninstalled the webdriver from add/remove programs and it removed everything by doing that.

Collapse -
Nothing in add/Remove Programs....

In reply to: Another possibility Omerta is if

and I never play games on this computer. I did a search in files and folders with the name wildtangent and came up with the following results:

C: Documents and Settings/Owner/Housecall
C: Program Files/AIM

Not sure what to make of this but would like to stop wildtangent from showing up in bot.

Collapse -
Can you go right to the folders

In reply to: Nothing in add/Remove Programs....

and delete them that way? I have not seen this happen with wild tangent before. You ARE putting a checkmark in the box when you have Spybot fix them I assume? Sorry, I have been in and out today, lots of lightning where I live and I have been shut down most of the day and we aren't done yet. LOL

Collapse -
it is

fairly simple to remove with hijack this, IF you know how to properly use it, it not then here http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml at that link kind of toward the bottom it provides two links to automated removal of it or you can read the removal process manually, it runs in memory so spybot may pick it up and cannot get it all if it is running, you can look in task manager for the exe or anything wild tangent and kill the process of it and rescan with spybot, or it may be that spybot is removing it and you still have restore enabled by which it will return upon restarting of windows, so you may have to disable system restore as well...good luck.

Collapse -
Wild Tangent

Wild Tangent is a game publisher. It does not harm anything that I can see. I deleted it once because it came up on SpyBot as well. Nothing seems to happen when I leave Wild Tangent there. So, I just leave it. Have done this for months and months and no issues. It does not come up on the other two spy ware removers I have.
And I do not see the big deal about SpyBot either. It is not any better than the other ones I use. Except it brings up Wild Tangent. smile
I run all three one after the other two times a week, and each comes up with different issues.
Hope this eases your mind. I really do not think it is an issue. If I am wrong, someone tell me.
suni

Collapse -
I note from ypur profile.....

you have XP. It probably has a copy in you System Restore which will have to be disabled (dump) & re-enabled. You could boot & run Spybot from safe mode (chance of stopping it from running during scan&removal).
I note you have AIM which could reload it every time you open it (Aim messenger). Note also you have My Yahoo as home page (I refused it from my cable co.). This would be the same Yahoo that provided the infamous "Gator Corp" with 30+ % of it's 2003 revenues ??!!?? Hmmmmm Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.