The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Wii, was Nintendo lazy in naming it...?

I know there has been a lot of debate on this topic over the past year. But many ask why the Wii is called the Wii? Not that I know the answer officially from Nintendo, but it might possibly be laziness. I was surprised when I moved to Japan in '92 that the Japan version of the Super Nintendo was called the Nintendo Super Famicon (or Super Family Computer). It's apparent that this name would have turned off many consumers outside of the Japanese pop culture. Not to mention, the original name basically summarizes the company and their genre. Perhaps when they were just being lazy and coming up with one name for all markets. Perhaps W.i.i. is an abbreviation for something since there is no actual Wi sounds in that Japanese language.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wii, was Nintendo lazy in naming it...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wii, was Nintendo lazy in naming it...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wii

In reply to: Wii, was Nintendo lazy in naming it...?

I'd say it's a publicity tactic. You come up with a name like that, and even though it gets more than its fair amount of scorn, it gets everyone talking about it. So in that sense, it's effective.

Collapse -
Wii-We

I thought Nintendo said "Wii" is "We" in Japanese. And they went with the "we" theme since the console is marketed as a family entertainment system so everyone can play.

Collapse -
Googlability

This has been mentioned before, but Wii is very search engine friendly. I know it is not hard to type in Nintendo Revolution, but it is also Wii is an easier word to remember for parents buying systems for their kids. It is all about branding, and they did a great job of creating a short, new word that is very recognizable.

Collapse -
It's hip

Hip name. Reminds of another company that started giving hip names to things, like the use of the small i all the time, iMac, iPod etc..
Also, do you actually think that Ps3 or xbox 360 are less lazy names? Wink

Collapse -
We should just rename it ourselves.

Stick to calling it the revolution.

Or maybe a play on Wii which would be DubYa Two using Roman Numberals. I'd rathe call it the W-2 than Oui'

Collapse -
(NT) I like the name

Collapse -
I heard...

somewhere that they picked that name because it was easy to say. Little kids can say it, adults can say it, and people from other countries can say it. Not sure where I heard that though, some tech. blog.

Collapse -
Quite the opposite

Nintendo had months of discussions between their executives to try to find a real name for the then Revolution. Wii was decided on because it was easy to say and they could easily associate it (through the logo) with people playing together. Also, Nintendo has found that sometimes people get confused on what a console is called in what region, not to mention the trans-continental arguments about what name is cooler for consoles. Sega example: Genesis or Mega Drive? I like Genesis better, but many people will fight for their Mega Drives until the end of time.

You know who is lazy?

Sony and, to a lesser extent, Microsoft.

Playstation 3 - Gee, who didn't see that coming? Sony can't even refine their contollers (some people are going to argue with me over this, I know it...). I don't need a whole lot of change from them, just a couple:
1) Left analog stick where it can be the primary input easier (switch it and the D-pad, like on Xbox or GameCube)
2) Better handles. I hate having my fingers hanging off onto nothing when playing games. Something along the lines of the GameCube controller would do great.

Xbox 360- At least Microsoft put a little bit of effort into this one. They didn't want to use Xbox 2 because it would make them sound bad, so they did research and found that people liked the sound of 360. It doesn't have any real meaning for the console whatsoever, but it's different.

Sorry for going on for so long about nothing really important, I just had to say something.

-Ryan

Collapse -
yep

In reply to: Quite the opposite

I had a conversation with some of my non-techy friends last night about this. They thought the Playstation 3 was a boring name.

When numbers are used to increment game consoles (or anything for that matter) it makes it seems like its just an update to the previous console. You wouldn't immediately think that it was the newest best innovative thing out. It also implies backwards compatibility. So maybe this is a good thing.

I think the names really depend on what the company is going for.

Playstation 3 - Update to the playstation 2 and 1
Xbox 360 - 360* twist to the Xbox
Wii - Something completely new

Collapse -
Too many lame jokes

The name wouldn't be so bad, if there weren't so many lame jokes being made about it. The problem is theres Whee (like what you say on a roller coaster, Wee (small), Wee-Wee (uhh, I think you all know this one), We (us), and now Wii. Then theres Mii, Hii, Shii, Knii, Bii, Tii, Frii, ect...
Maybe they should have chosen a weirder name, or just Gamecube 2.

Collapse -
Explanation (VIDEO!!)

Collapse -
At first it seemed silly....but then

Once you got over the initial shock. What? Its not called the ultra cube 5000.....or.....What do you mean we cant call it the PlayBox 720?

The name Wii is just downright fun to say, its fun to make fun of, and it seems to have almost endless wii-isms. I for one was guilty of running around my house annoying the heck outa my wife going Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....for about 2 days before the release (ok...and two days after too). This is one of the best marketing names Ive heard in a while.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.