General discussion

Wii vs. Xbox360 vs. PS3

Which one would you buy and why? I'll tell you right now, the only company that will be getting my money is Nintendo. Why would I want to pay 400 bucks for an Xbox with better graphics? Why would I want to pay 600 bucks for a PS2 with better graphics, and half-baked Wii-like controls? Granted the Blu-Ray could be important to those who want it but I personally dont care much about Blu-Ray so Why should I spend THREE TIMES AS MUCH on the PS3?! Plus, what good games does Xbox have besides Halo - and I mean FUN to play GOOD games - not many. PS3 has a bunch of pretty good ones but 600 bucks is too expensive for most consumers to justify spending in my opinion. Plus, the games for PS3 will very likely be more expensive considering they are Blu-Ray. . . I want something completely different and fun to play - Imagine the control you could have over first person shooters with the Wii! And sweet nintendo-only titles such as Zelda: Twilight Princess (or should I say Twiiliight) and Super Mario Galaxy - how can you resist! And I completely forgot about being able to play all the nintendo classics from back on the original NES and SNES. . . Hopefully they will be cheap.

Ha, I kinda sound like a Nintendo spokesperson but it just seems like it has a lot of potential - I was massively dissappointed with the gamecube (But then again I done own any of the really great games so I'll have to pick some) but I am putting my money on Nintendo this round: Who agrees with me? If you dont, which would you be most likely to buy and why?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Wii vs. Xbox360 vs. PS3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wii vs. Xbox360 vs. PS3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
360 Innovations

It will be a close race and it's hard to say who will come out on top but the 360 is very innovative.

Wii Innovations - motion sensing controller and wierd/cool design.

360 Innovations - Xbox Live Arcade - Xbox Live wich is $40 a year but is by far the best online gaming service out there - Media Extender, you know the knew Apple iTV or whatever? it's a media extender like the 360. the 360 allows you to dtream recorded shows and music/movies from you're media center computer to your tv. - The 360 gives you choice. If you decide you want hddvd player you can buy it, or if you want wif fi you can buy it. But for those people who want a graphically intensive system but dont need wifi or hddvd they dont have to pay for them.

- Collapse -
All inovations cost and Xbox's arent new anyways.

Xbox 360 is still at its rip off original price and the future for it seems very limited.

$40/year? And just when you thought M$ couldn't rip you off anymore!

The biggest innovation for it (which will cost a crap load anyways) is the HD DVD add-on. Which is lame by the way.

Instead of re-releasing their console (like the DS to Ds Lite - shameful) M$ will tack on this thing in futile attempts to regain the market.

Now I see why you don't mention PS3 - because sony will literally bring it this time. You either go all the way and finish the job or you don't do anything at all.

Lets be honest, if you consider the 360, the PS3 shouldn't be of less consideration.

*CDN funds

I myself though I was making a deal when I bought Xbox (the original) with 2 free games for $179.

NOPE!

Xbox - 180
Dvd Kit - 40
Xbox Live - 80
Wireless router - 80
Wireless adapter - 50! (yea the MS 1 goes for 150)
The Halo bundle (for which I suppose all Xboxers really bought the 1st anyways.)- 70
Extra controlers (2) - 40

Grand Total: $540 with bargain hunting & sales.

Hmm nuff said - consider those costs.

PCE

- Collapse -
Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on comment

I think offering a add on HD-DVD drive makes much more sense than re designing the console around it. It gives the current owners the least expensive route to HD-DVD if they want it, and it gives future buyers a chance to buy the hardware at an eventual price drop, which is a good thing too. If they add a native HD-DVD drive in console, I think the hardward price would be years from dropping.

It should be the consumers option how they want to watch movies, the idea of convergence in game devices proved a complete failure with the shoody mpeg 2 decoder they droped in the origional PS2 "DVD Player", this is a trend that should die, game consoles should play games first and foremost. Another place where I think Nintendo "gets it" over the competition. Build a game console, Ill get my movies elswhere.

- Collapse -
Umm I don't get you

The ps3 does offer the consumers the option of how they want to watch movies because it also plays DVDs and is at a bargain, so to speak, price.

Many people who want to go the blu-ray way are serriously considering buying the ps3 since it is practically 1/2 the price of a traditional one.

Sony was an *** because the ps2 dvd player was although progresive scan (it had no problems as a basic player, at least with the people I know), the thing doesn't play DVD5 format.

Its like people speak of the PSP being not games focused because the evil Sony corp decided to make other uses of its game save medium (Memory Stick Pro [Duo]). The music, photo, video, homebrew - only a spinoff - and a hell of one too.

BTW to you realise that what the DS is based on (Memory Sticks), the psp uses to save a game - rediculous for the DS.

This is just the case for the Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3 which all play DVD. The argument that Nintendo didn't offer DVD is that "it is a game focused console" - pure lame, the only benefit that I could see is that piracy is tough - but who would want to copy GC games anyways?

Spinoff - look it up. Sony & Microsoft didn't put in these extra little features for you to flame about, it just so happened that the game format is very versatile.

Besides - it is up to you if you use it or not so who cares?

Think about it, if PS3 was just another DVD9 format based console why release it? Answer: because they already did - its called the PS2.

Its nice that MS will release their HD DVD add on but keep in mind that 360 was original based & developed around the DVD5, DVD9 formats.

I tend to see PS3 as a deal because instead of tacking on 2 things, later on (which will meet or probably exceed the PS3 price anyways)Sony is the one who "gets it" and steps themselves up with their foreward thinking.

Now, keep in mind my name, I don't boast sony I just am showing you reality.I am anyways probably getting a 360 this Christmas instead of a PS3.

Why? Because there are too many tempting upcoming titles and I don't really care for Blu-ray or HD DVD - frankly, I think the consumer world is not yet ready to pay over a thousand dollers just for a movie player anyways.

PCE

- Collapse -
Whats to get? Convergence in game consoles has not been good

Whats to get? Convergence in game consoles has not been good so far.

Now, lets not talk about the PS2 re design, lets talk about the first gen one they put out for now, since we are talking about a hardware launch of a fairly young tech. DVD as it was, was nowhere near as fresh as HD-DVD or Blu Ray, and Sony did not get it right when they launched the PS2. That first gen PS2 had to be the worlds worst DVD player. Sure, it introduced some new people to the format, but just about every one of them ran out to get a stand alone DVD player without all the compatability bugs and player lock ups. Do a google on PS2 DVD compatability some time and you will see what I mean, that thing as a DVD player was rancid.

Moving forward, the PSP is hardly a decent movie/Digital Music player. The home brew memory stick conversion software stinks, its not user friendly, it just cant replace a Ipod video as a stand alone unit, it just does not match up, so why add dollars to features that you are just going to half *** as a manufacurer.

Also, as expensive as game consoles are, why overuse your expensive optical drive to do something as mundaine as play a standard DVD, or CD, buy a $59 DVD player to do that. Remeber people used to blow $29 on a seperate devise to rewind VCR tapes, same idea, dont overuse a state of the art unit on a task any less than what you paid for, dont play standard DVD's in that $400 to $600 machine, thats just asking for trouble, buy a decent stand alone player, the quality will most likely be better, and you stand less of a chance of a optical drive failure down the road (common for Sony and Microsoft hardware, but you never read of optical drive failures on the Gamecube, hmmmmmm).

Now, I have seen some interesting uses of that media center extender software for the Xbox360, so that is a step in the right direction, and I do think keeping the movie drive seperate from the main console makes alot of sense. I mean, with the Sony Blu Ray, your gonig to be getting the cheapest, most first generation version of that tech, I have read horror stories of ten minute waits just to load a movie to start watching, (who wants that!), why force it down gamers necks, just so they can obtain visuals at 1080P to win the numbers game againsts MicroSofts frequently speced 720P? Its just silly if you ask me.

The promise of console convergence did not innovate as promised in the last console war, and I doubt it will make a difference here. Gamers want to play games first and foremost, and I bet you most would say they could do without the convergence features if they could shave a few lousy bucks off the price.

Seriously, the PSP as I see it, Jack of all trades, Master of Nothing. The DS may do only one thing, but at least it masters it, and thats great gaming. I think the Wii is going to be much the same, sans a few added channels on the Wii connect feature, its a gaming console first and foremost, which is awsome if you ask me.

- Collapse -
Remember

Nintnedo came out and said they didn't want to have A dvd player on their system because: 1. most people already have a DVD player in their home why make them buy another, and 2. the system would be much larger. The Wii is the size of 3 dvd cases put together. the 360 is over a foot in length and almost a foot in width, not to mention the power cable. And thew PS3 is as well huge and shapped very oddly.

We are now seeing what might be a divergence in consles as well. Where Microsoft and Sony have decided to stay with the same type of controller and style of game play with no new perks, actually less considering the new PS3 controller. Where as nintendo has really changed how you play the game, instead of a control stick for your thumb you use your movment for control.

- Collapse -
I get you - you're hard to convince

I completely agreed that the PS2 DVD player was and is crap on the original console, no doubt about that. All I was saying is that it had been working good for me except when DVD5 format is used. It doesn't play "backed-up" movies well and yes DVD players are cheap now. But what about back in the day? Back in the day, people used to BUY DVDs (if in with the DVD style) as opposed to burn them so Sony probably used "Plays DVD Movies" as an advertising point becaue of that & because of the significantl less amounts of people using DVD. This is just how some talk about HD DVD or Blu-Ray today.

Besides, and I must stress this again, Sony & MS didn't "throw" in a DVD player, the majority of their games are based on that format so umm why not?

Go and buy your DVD player and have fun it you want - I guarantee that nobody will care - the feature is there, use it if you want. It would actually make no sence if Sony didn't allow the PS2 as a DVD player & at the time it was a marketable and reasonable advertising point.

Not all first generations of a system or anything for that matter are fully sucessful. Unfortunately, with consoles you don't really get a beta version you would get v1 & v2 - the slimline in this case, which has most of the predecessor's kinks worked out.

As for the PSP, again with the spinoffs, the MS Pro Duo is there, use it if you want fanboy. There are no problems with the movie or music or photo etc w/e features you want to criticize. Lets not forget that the IPod Video also had to have the video converted to MP4 - which is really the only problem (BTW for IPod - it takes 4 times the time to convert).

But hey its up to you if you want to watch a movie on a screen half the size and sacrifice battery life.
But then again there is a storage issue.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp/psp-vs-ipod-video-video-comparison-001968.php

So nintendo fan why is PS2 at a GC price anyways?

and how about these sales (2005):

Worldwide
PlayStation 2 - 81.39 million
Xbox - 19.9 million
GameCube - 18.03 million

Hmm, Sony got something right - yeah probably why the got into the damn Guinness book.

As for what you hear (10 minute loading times) about Blu-Ray, not even the most gulible person would believe that.

And finally the DS vs PSP. Umm the ds graphics suck, the games suck (most post pubecent males agree), the multimedia sucks, it is boring. About the comment on lame homebrew, what the hell, homebrew was never part of Sony's plan but the console supports it.

And I do not know what you ramble on about the PSP not being games focused. (Again look up the word spinoff)The PSP - a console that has faster clock rate than a Pentium 2 vs. a cell phone processor - DS.

Yes you are right, the DS does just one thing but it sucks at doing that too. The games are very dull and repetitive for the most marketable age group (dull - my opinion). I would have GTA in my pocket vs Mario Shart any sane day.

I am against fanboys like you who try and stand up for lame unarguable issues which are already undisputed.

But by all means go ahead and post another reply to back me up even more - fun your opinion, performance you lose, sales you lose, versatility, you lose . . . must I go on?

PCE nintendo fan

- Collapse -
Straight Facts

Ok Anti Fan Boy, first off, not trying to flame ya here, alot of what you say makes sense, but I think your missing my point.

That Blu Ray player is going to suck, its going to be the bottom shelf, most 1st gen version of that tech, and it will probably lock up, overheat and freeze often enough. Honestly, check the player reviews on the $999 models that are out, they are horid, think Sony is going to do better for about half as much cash, I doubt it. Do you realy need more than the 9.4 Gigs of data storage available on a dual layer DVD to create amazing graphics and sound, If alot of the 360 content is proof then I say no. Sony is marketing a technology that gamers could not care less about. Just like the PSP, graphics are better, can do a half *** job of playing movies and music, but, to my point,

The DS has sold 24 Million units wordwide, while the PSP has only sold 13 Million. Thats about twice as many, so Im not sure where you got the "winner in sales idea" but it definately was not in the handheld market. So what matters to the game market, great games, and frankly Id take a round over Mario Kart DS over GTA PSP anyday.

And to all the posters that think Nintendo is in some serious financial danger, get a grip, that company is doing just fine.

They are showing a profit of over 426 million for the quarter. So why do people keep saying Nintendo is in horrable financial condition? Folks, just because the PS2 outsold the Cube does not mean Nintendo is about to go under, they are a very strong company, and unlike Sony, its all based on gaming, instead of a low margin, mass produced, low quality, big box electronics buisness, with a gaming hobby on the side. Nintendo will be just fine no matter what the Wii does, but rest assured, its going to be a hit, no doubt in my mind.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B2E82A8A0-0CD8-4C5F-B38A-C1646EF6B2AF%7D&siteId=aolpf

- Collapse -
simply put

I agree with the bulk of your message and would also like to point out that the PS3 is coming out the latest thanks to a reported two month delay. This means after christmas, and a horrible drop in sales. For people who complain about ninetendo's financial state read reviews about Sony. If the PS3 fails they are in deep ****. One of their largest projects which is their TV's are getting horrible reviews and they need the PS3 to make money.

P.S. I'm a 360 fan and please to respond with some half-baked out of your *** response saying that the PS3 won't fail, because their is a high probabilty that it will.

- Collapse -
Just move on, I really don't care

I am not going to argue with you back & forth every day to reply and tell you something again.

1st gen stuff is never good, the world already knows that, I don't know why you have to repost that stuff after I already agreed with you.

The last time I am telling you this so open your eyes:
SONY & MS IS MORE GAMES FOCUSED THAN NINTENDO WILL EVER BE AND JUST BECAUSE A DAMN SPINOFF OCCURED BECAUSE OF THIER DVD BASED GAMES DOES NOT JUSTIFY YOUR WEAK ARGUMENT THAT THE ARE LESS GAMES FOCUUSED.

Unsupported opinions are basically rule 1 in the fanboy handbook - you never hear teenagers talk about Mario Fart and how they want to get it or play it or how much "fun" it was anyways.

And who has sold the most copies per game, which are the most popular and why- MS and Sony (GTA HALO?) - think about that you don't need to repost.

The choices (insane and childish in my opinion, but I will remain un biased) of game selection you make are your problem.

I think I will side with the rest of the "normal" non outkastic world and play my PSP (maybe later I will watch a half *** video that is better size & quality than an IPod Video) rather than facing cell phone graphics and crapy immature games targeted towards an audience more than a decade under my age.

And for sales, who cares? A "big-box" company is in the record book, has outsold nintendo in consoles overall ever since the PS1 and is now top of the line.
Your use of words is odd since I don't see Nintendo as Earl's Gaming Shack on the corner of Redneck lane. Sony has its own devision of gaming, and its name as a company whole doesn't matter - we are only comparing with SCEI not with the guy who sold you that 60' WEGA last week.

Have fun playing withh your P Wii, your opinions don't reflect the general views nor will affect my gaming decision anyways - I'm just here to lay out the truth and kill time.

PCE

You are just another person who refuses to accept techological advancement being blured by conservative views. YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE - the first computer doesnt compare to a $5000 Alienware.

- Collapse -
re: just move on

anti-fanboy...where do I start?

"Unsupported opinions are basically rule 1 in the fanboy handbook"

AGREED!!

now let's have a look at the rest of your post.
-------------------------------------------------------
"SONY & MS IS MORE GAMES FOCUSED THAN NINTENDO WILL EVER BE"

hmm sounds like an unsupported opinion.

let's look at some facts.

Microsoft is a software company that makes most of it's profits from PC software (xbox made a 4 billion dollar loss and xbox360 haven't made profits yet)

Sony is an electronics company with a games division. I think it's fair to say that their playstation and playstation 2 consoles are their most successful ventures. although they are and have always been an electrical appliance manufacturer at the core.

Nintendo...ONLY make games hardware, software and peripherals and never have included DVD playback or other multimedia or "all-purpose home entertainment system" unless they are directly related to gaming.

Those are the facts

now...who's got their focus on gaming?
blue ray player is not relevant to gaming at all, sorry. Like CliffnMichelle, myself and many others have stated. standard DVD format holds plenty enough data for modern video games.

when was the last time you bought a PC game and it required more than 9GB of hard disk space for installation? never!

again, this is fact. not some fanboy unsupported opinion.
"I think I will side with the rest of the *normal* non outkastic world and play my PSP"

more unsupported claims.

how is being in the minority considered as normal?

I'm sorry but sales figures clearly indicate that the vast majority of handheld sales are for nintendo DS.

maybe this is because just about every game on PSP is available on one of sony's consoles!!

you have tried to pass off your own opinion as fact again....and outkastic isn't a word Happy
"You are just another person who refuses to accept techological advancement being blured by conservative views."

now there's no doubt that was just an opinion as the nintendo wii has a few new technology aspects of it's own.

while nintendo aren't offering High Definition resolution or movie playback, neither of these things are going to enhance gaming much unless you are playing on a 60" TV or larger.

I think it is nintendo who are offering new technology into the next gen in the form of motion sensitive controllers.

to give a small idea of how much this new technology will ghange gaming. think about how PC games were controlled before the mouse was invented.

maybe it is you that refuses to accept new technology incorporated into your gaming console?

so this one is my opinion, I think that a vastly more interactive controller completely outweighs HD display.
my opinions may not reflect the general population. but fro what i read on forums, games sites and magazines etc. hype seems to be higher for the Wii than the PS3.

- Collapse -
Wow, Everything He Said

Wow, Everything he said, LOL. Anti Fan Boy, there are at least two of us that figure you wrote the book on the unsupported arguement.

-----------------------------------------
anti-fanboy...where do I start?

"Unsupported opinions are basically rule 1 in the fanboy handbook"

AGREED!!

now let's have a look at the rest of your post.
"SONY & MS IS MORE GAMES FOCUSED THAN NINTENDO WILL EVER BE"

hmm sounds like an unsupported opinion.

let's look at some facts.

Microsoft is a software company that makes most of it's profits from PC software (xbox made a 4 billion dollar loss and xbox360 haven't made profits yet)

Sony is an electronics company with a games division. I think it's fair to say that their playstation and playstation 2 consoles are their most successful ventures. although they are and have always been an electrical appliance manufacturer at the core.

Nintendo...ONLY make games hardware, software and peripherals and never have included DVD playback or other multimedia or "all-purpose home entertainment system" unless they are directly related to gaming.

Those are the facts

now...who's got their focus on gaming?
blue ray player is not relevant to gaming at all, sorry. Like CliffnMichelle, myself and many others have stated. standard DVD format holds plenty enough data for modern video games.

when was the last time you bought a PC game and it required more than 9GB of hard disk space for installation? never!

again, this is fact. not some fanboy unsupported opinion.
"I think I will side with the rest of the *normal* non outkastic world and play my PSP"

more unsupported claims.

how is being in the minority considered as normal?

I'm sorry but sales figures clearly indicate that the vast majority of handheld sales are for nintendo DS.

maybe this is because just about every game on PSP is available on one of sony's consoles!!

you have tried to pass off your own opinion as fact again....and outkastic isn't a word Happy
"You are just another person who refuses to accept techological advancement being blured by conservative views."

now there's no doubt that was just an opinion as the nintendo wii has a few new technology aspects of it's own.

while nintendo aren't offering High Definition resolution or movie playback, neither of these things are going to enhance gaming much unless you are playing on a 60" TV or larger.

I think it is nintendo who are offering new technology into the next gen in the form of motion sensitive controllers.

to give a small idea of how much this new technology will ghange gaming. think about how PC games were controlled before the mouse was invented.

maybe it is you that refuses to accept new technology incorporated into your gaming console?

so this one is my opinion, I think that a vastly more interactive controller completely outweighs HD display.
my opinions may not reflect the general population. but fro what i read on forums, games sites and magazines etc. hype seems to be higher for the Wii than the PS3.

- Collapse -
Anti Fan Boy, is Name Calling a form of Higher Intelect?

Anti Fan Boy, is Name Calling a form of Higher Intelect?

I dont appreciate being called a idiot, how old are you boy?

Seriously, we are only stating and supporting facts that you refuse to acknowledge, you dont have to agree, but the namecalling is not needed.

And if your so anti fan boy, why are you such a Sony fan boy? Its ok to be a fan boy of a specific company, there is nothing wrong with that if you ask me, embrace your inner Sony fan boy, its ok.

But please, enough name calling.

- Collapse -
your wrong

the wii is about 3 times more powerful than the xbox, don't talk about things you have no knowledge of.

- Collapse -
Not really

The wii is slightly better than the gc. The xbox was 4 times more powerful than the GC. So ill be generous and say the wii is one third as powerful as an original xbox.

- Collapse -
I think you don't fall far from those first two posts either

If you do actually claim to know something about economics you should at least prove it which at numerous instances you fail.

Its as simple as strolling over to Future Shop or Best Buy... Check out the prices for Blu-Ray players.

Yup thats right! Nothing under $1200 CND. Hmm . . . this gets me thinking! You said that the PS3 has Blu-Ray! Really? It does? DONT LIE!

Bundling a package that launches fully loaded for $659 CND is quite a chance for Sony.

When you get better performance than a gaming PC which is dedicated you will have great games and many possibilities. Add up all the components from the 3.2Ghz processor, performant GUI, 60 GB HDD, HDMI, WIFI, SD card, MEMORY STICK ETCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!

If you actually push your own brain limits to use that 2% you will realize that from what is available on the market today the hats down best value IS the PS3!

Now lets just be honest, Nintondo, being over a generation behind and having its "Wii" at PS2 comparable performance, is still basically the last one on the list for a gamer.

Next we have the Xbox 360 . . . great another 9GB based platform with a slightly better GUI and higher storage capacity. In essence, if reconficured format, 360 games would be just another old Xbox game. AND PRICY TOO. Its been out 3/4 of a year and no price reduction.

makryger if you work it out paying M$ for Xbox live just adds up to a PS3 in a bit. Free online -- who cares? RIGHT? WRONG! That is possibly the stupidist argument intended to discredit the PS3! Do you use active judgement?

And man if you actually had any knowledge whatsoever of marketing you would know the estimated shelf live of the Xbox 360 is a mere 4 years compared to the future proof 10 years of the PS3.

So guys get ready for Xbox 720 around November 2009.

Don't waste your money, invest it! With the PS3 still strong in 2016 (wow so far its bind bogling) you will be happy you made the right choice.

Lol final thought on your comment and I quote "There's a free internet service? Ummm... who cares? Everyone has internet already. " LMAO.

Sure everybody does but lemme ask you: Have you heard of Xbox live? ITS ADDITIONAL COST ON TOP OF YOUR ISP COSTS YOU DUMASSS!

- Collapse -
not really

sony is taking a chance on the blu-ray device not that it will be faulty in the future but that sony is selling cheaper because they will get their money back through game deals from different companys. It could give them their money back or it couldn't.

- Collapse -
True

All companies have their strategies and ways of making profit.

Starting out like this gives sony a better starting foot marketwise. I'm not worried about them making money off of me because all companies end up using you anyways.

lol you just have to choose the company that rapes your wallet the least in terms of what you get vs price and of course prefrence.

You're right but in my opinion this blu-ray thing will probably catch on as technology gets cheaper and companies push this medium for its many benefits.

ex) Less piracy (more secutity and protection)

Peace

- Collapse -
Blueray will replace HD DVD. 1080p is imba

I agree with some of this post, but if someone invest the money for the HD tv with 1080p well ps3 is the way to go. I purposely waited for the ps3 so I could get the xbr3 1080p 46''. If you dont have the TV you wont get the most out of your ps3. The reason why Im going with blue ray and 1080p is becuase its better than HD-DVD. Yes I have done side by side test with my xbr3 and I have found blueray produces a much richer stunning picture than HD dvd. Sorry guys HD-DVD is great but it will only last until the TV standard switchs all to 1080p
. Even microsoft is trying to come up with a solution to get xbox in a 1080 standard but they will fail since it doesnt support HDMI support.
nuff said.

ps3 is made to last at least 8yrs technolgy wise
you get your moneys worth. Xbox 360 will be out dated in another year. waste of money. glad I waited for ps3.

- Collapse -
You are my hero

Too bad some of these people see things this limited.

I couldn't have put it better myself - check out my posts.

Oh yeah and PS3 is actually supposed to have a shelf life of 10 years vs the 4 of the 360.

Like I always said PS3 (besides being a 1/2 price bluray player) is an investment

- Collapse -
10 years.

you must be out of your mind. only a fool would actually believe that.

ten years is a long LONG time for any electronic device to stay modern!! let alone something in a market as competitive as console gaming!!

- Collapse -
Buddy

Not my words - market research analysts. (S) plural

They might know something you know with a degree and all.

I dunno but I reckon theys gots sum nawlejj.

- Collapse -
interesting.

I see, I'd be interested to read some of these articles that predict the ps3 to still be competitive ten years after it's launch.

It would be interesting to see how they try to justify a claim like that.

I'm very skeptical of the credibility of analysts as they are notoriously inaccurate and tend to make very big assumptions based on current sales figures without taking into consideration much potential for technology growth by the product's competitors. particularly in computer hardware...which is kinda relevant to games consoles.

after all, these days you buy a top of the line piece of computer hardware and it's been superceeded 2 months later!

any links, anti-fanboy? Happy

- Collapse -
Right

Google it - you know know what to look for.

I am not a dementic game fanatic and don't bookmark every single thing GAMES that I see Happy

I am not backing up or discrediting any comments but you might want to see for yourself.

In my opinion, 10 years cannot be predetermined; you never know what things will appear in that vast technological time frame but one thing IS clear - PS3 will last longer than Xbox 360 as of now, because of the technologic comparisons.

PCE

- Collapse -
Clear?

"you never know what things will appear in that vast technological time frame but one thing IS clear - PS3 will last longer than Xbox 360 as of now, because of the technologic comparisons."

clear? how?
because it has a blue-ray player?

blue-ray and HD-DVD are both struggling to gain dominance as the standard High definition consumer format. just because blue-ray holds more data doesn't mean that consumers are going to think it's worth the difference in price. same deal as betamax.

NOTHING is "clear" about the future of any of these systems.
For gaming, the PS3 and XBOX360's hardware are both comparable. neither seems far better than the other in any aspect.
for purposes of gaming, at the current rate at which the standard for computer hardware and software technology improves... PS3 will NOT have a life-cycle of 10 years. neither will it's competitors.

- Collapse -
Clear!

First off, stop the bashing.

Yes it is "clear" and that is because PS3 is better off technologically speaking.

PS3 and its games will be based on Blu-Ray from its release, as opposed to Dual-Layer DVD.

Also, as for now, Microsoft doesn't have any publically stated plans to develop new games which will be based on HD-DVD - THAT IS WHERE IT IS BETTER OFF.

I am personally getting an Xbox 360 and probably never a PS3 - I am just exchanging facts and opinion with you so cool it.

As for the life cycle, ok sure I don't think it will have a 10 year one either, but who are we to say that.

I am passing info conducted by market research analysts - thats it.

So chill, and lets stop this senseless stuff.

PCE

- Collapse -
ok a little much

10yrs is a little long but my point is that ps3 is way way way more future proofed than 360 and the ps3 will be around alot longer than the 360.

- Collapse -
Only cause

PS3 will only last longer then 360 because Microsoft will probably pull another console out of their *** in the next 3 years or so.

- Collapse -
Well, the 12 year old is a moron anyway.

Ok, let me say this, the PS3 controller has TILT sensitivity ONLY! It doesn't have the pointer funcionality of the Wii. Example (with the wii controller, you point at the guy on the screen and pull the trigger: the PS3 CANNOT DO THIS! You might be able to tilt your controller to the side to lean your character around a corner, but THAT IS IT!) You won't be able to use it for swinging a sword or shooting a gun (Like Red Steel). It's more akin to a HAT switch on the top of a joystick.

Before you go off on something you obviously know very little about, do some damned research. Sony's trying to fool morons like you.

- Collapse -
dude what is your big deal

you are not the mighty gamer. Look everybody copied sony when they first intruduce a true dualshock controler with the analog sticks so they can do it back. Besides if you are a nintendo fan dont try so hard to make their console look at least more than a desent one because its just gonna keep on hurting you. Nintendo could be cheaper yes, because a cent more and they can't justify their price to sell. They are not being generous with nobody, they just had that, a Wii to offer that doesn't seem to be in the right place to compete with the others. If I had travel in a time machine and arrive to find a Wii I would of though I was in 1999 not in 2006.

But again if you a Nintendo fan, you must have under 8 years and you are a bit, very much back in time.

CNET Forums

Forum Info