The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Wii obssession at BOL

by DROrr / October 26, 2006 7:49 AM PDT

is it me, but are the BOL girls going overboard with the Nintendo Wii, a system that everybody agrees will be far less quality graphics than PS3 and 360

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wii obssession at BOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wii obssession at BOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it's just you
by csliva11 / October 26, 2006 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Wii obssession at BOL
Collapse -
Graphics don't make the game!!
by netmasta / October 26, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

Aargh! I am so tired of you people that think you need superior graphics just to use a game. Yes, graphics are freakin amazing these days.

But, there is more to a game than that. The story and controls matter a lot more to me. A game could have the "best graphics ever" (and sound too), yet could terrible game play.

Collapse -
Totally. Do you really think graphics is everything?
by robstak / October 26, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

how about innovation? does that count?

Collapse -
they've admitted as much
by gamegeek90 / October 26, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

and they are entitled to their opinion.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Of course they are.
by DROrr / October 26, 2006 8:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
They are because...
by dro0001 / October 26, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

...the Wii will be so much better then the PS3. It's like picking a spouse...do you want the better looking one or the one that has more substance at half the price? Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The better looking one. (Please see the Dove discussion)
by toulouse2k / October 27, 2006 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: They are because...
Collapse -
They are Nintendo's target audience
by Jrd3478 / October 27, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

Nintendo's target audience is girls, older people, and other non gamers. No normal gamer would want a wii because games are not just about mindless fun its an art form.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Mr. Fanboy. May I use your first name, Sony?
by toulouse2k / October 27, 2006 12:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why do you assume I'm a SONY fanboy?
by Jrd3478 / October 27, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

First i'm not a fanboy for any company. Second I did not once mention Sony. You assume I am talking about Sony because YOU are a Nintendo fanboy.

Collapse -
oh rly?

''girls, older people, and non-gamers...''

non-gamers? you think we're non-gamers? how long have you been listening to the podcast, hmm?

V

Collapse -
How many games have you talked about playing?
by Jrd3478 / October 27, 2006 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: oh rly?

You only talk about a few games does not mean you are gamers. All you really talk about is WoW and Halo and rarely any other games.

Collapse -
because WoW is in the news

I'm a huge RTS nut, and Molly prefers to shoot things.
I know we've had that conversation before.

I've been a Nintendo girl my whole life, with a brief break for PS2. I had so many SNES games that my mother was worried that there was something wrong with me (I didn't get out much, and that's still true to this day).

Currently, there is a PSP, Nintendo DS, 2 XBox 360's and a PS2 in my house, which are all used with regularity. Soon there will be another happy member of my gaming family, the Nintendo Wii.

V

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well, it's a tech podcast, not a gamer podcast
by netmasta / October 27, 2006 4:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I know it's not i was just countering V's argument
by Jrd3478 / October 27, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
at first I was like ***. but he kinnnnda has a point.
by robstak / October 27, 2006 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: oh rly?

Yea it's a generalization, but in the bigger scheme of things, I think his idea of "gamers" is the ubercompetative FPS / MMORPG crowd, and Nintendo really isn't known for that. It's known for innovation and awesome franchises, games you can play at your leisure. Maybe things will change now that the Wii will focus on online gameplay, but up until now, that's kinda been the trajectory.

I would also like to add young kids to the nintendo stereotype tho, too. Nintendo has a lot of kid-friendly titles.

-karl

Collapse -
Yeah, I'm the target audience

I don't disagree with that. Veronica's more of a hard-core gamer than I am, for sure. Until I discovered the first-person shooter, I was straight-up Tetris. Happy So, I pretty much went, like, Frogger --> Tetris --> Unreal Tournament --> Halo. Wii is right up my medium-core alley.

Collapse -
Don't leave Fragging out of it!
by shantanubala / October 27, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS is a prime example of how Nintendo caters to 00ber competitive and otherwise "hardcore" gamers. Problem being, a game for you people has to be M rated or sexually explicit for "real gamers" to play. But if the word gamer means shooting cops in hi def, then I'm definatly not a gamer. Nintendo has a different view of things. They make games practically everyone can play, and practically erase the need for the ESRB, but that doesn't demean the fact that the games are challenging, competitive, as well as innovative. I'll wuit the argument, there's a lot I can say, but someone will provide a counterpoint, then there'll be a flame war, then we'll have to call it a truce. I've been through this.

Nintendo will never make your HD, cop killing, bloody massacre of an experience, because you don't need guns, sex, and violence to make a good solid game. Jeez. Maybe you are right, maybe I'm not a gamer cuz I play my DS and N64 like it's crack. Yeah, and I also fit the stereotype that I'm a kid. Huh, I considered myself a gamer for a second there... Guess I was wrong, and I wouldn't like it any other way.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
that's what i was talking about. it's how you define gamer.
by robstak / October 29, 2006 12:50 PM PST

the original poster was referring to "gamer" or "hard core gamer" as one type of person, all the nay sayers are just looking at it in a different light. It's a matter of how you define the word "gamer"

btw, I was waiting for someone to say metroid prime... lol. Sorry tho, cuz it's pretty awful, lol. I think the best FPS nintendo has was the original bond for n64. I played the heck out of that game... and now I miss it... I guess until I get my Wii Silly

-karl

Collapse -
Agreed, but...
by shantanubala / October 30, 2006 7:31 AM PST

Metroid Prime has gotta be one of Nintendo's best games!

-Shantanu

P.S. - Just my opinion

Collapse -
Mindless fun?
by netmasta / October 27, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

I wouldn't call Nintendo games mindless fun. Nintendo has, as always great innovations. Yes, I consider them an art form too. The other consoles on the other hand, I would consider some of those games "mindless fun".

Collapse -
Amen
by shantanubala / October 27, 2006 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Mindless fun?

Yeah, if Nintendo is Mindless Fun, then what the heck is Grand Theft Auto?

-Shantanu

P.S. Sorry, just had to say that, as I oppose Grand Theft Auto completely.

Collapse -
It comes down to this ....
by harrietj / October 27, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

If you have tons of money, obviously you go for the premium players like Playstation Or Xbox. For people who are on a tight budget and are not avid gamers, the Nintendo unit is probably the best bet.

Collapse -
RE: Wii obsession at BOL
by 2143436756292931057199946 / October 27, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

Well, doubt I'd buy a Wii because of the magic-wand controller. After all these years I taught friends and family members NOT to move the controller to steer left and right... Nintendo goes right behind my back and says it's ok now. *ugh*

BUT!!! I do like how you can download all previous Nintendo games, ultimate backwards compatibility.

Collapse -
My two cents? Wii has great potential.
by navsimpson / October 27, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

Due to the joys of emulation, I returned to Super Mario 64 a couple of years ago after a long, long hiatus, and I couldn't help but be struck by how innovative and enjoyable the game was. But what surprised me most was that the game seemed to have its own set of rules. There were incredibly weird things like floating islands and anthropomorphic stone blocks - none of it made any 'sense'. But the game as a whole worked perfectly, without any regard for flash or verisimilitude. It was just designed to be enjoyable by its own standards, standards one can't apply to movies, literature or any other aesthetic form. They're unique to interactive entertainment.

I guess that's why I'm excited about the Wii - I'm expecting that same sort of unique, weird 'game-y' magic again, that odd thing you can't put your finger on that makes certain games 'great'. I still want a PS3. But I'm hoping the Wii will offer something the other two won't.

Collapse -
Graphics
by Stan0807 / October 29, 2006 9:56 PM PST

Less quality on graphics ... check.
Awesomer wiimote ... check.
Zelda ... check.
I'm sold.

Just remember, it's not always the latest and greatest in graphics that wins the war, sometimes it's all about how you interface with the game or the quality of the games for the system.

Don't flame yet, let me keep going.

I know 360 and PS3 are going to have (or already do have) great games with awesome graphics and intensely cool gameplay, but there is a huge demographic of people who could care less about that and just want to play a game they don't have to go through 17 hours of beginner mode lessons just to be fairly adequate at jumping. It's that group of people being targeted and I really think it's going to be a huge hit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.