HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

WiFi Safety

by plcard / June 16, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

As computer usage is increasing in places like McDonald's, no less, is there a program out there that will give one the ability to stop interlopers?

I received an advertisement from Uniblue for Ghostsurfer and thought that might do it, but when I read the 3 reviews, I've changed my mind. It is just beyond my comprehension why someone hasn't developed a program to protect your privacy while you are on a non-secure network, like in a hotel.

If there is a program, or some way to protect yourself, please let me know. It is kind of silly to have WiFi if you cannot do your banking, and are limited to checking your email.

I am using XP with the AVG 7.5 Security Suite, which is ok, but for some reason, I just don't feel safe as I should.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WiFi Safety
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WiFi Safety
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by samkh / June 17, 2008 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: WiFi Safety

Packets transmitted over public networks have to be encrypted for privacy which means other end must also encrypt/decrypt. https and vpn have commercial security standards but you are dependent on other end to support such.

Collapse -
WiFi Safety
by plcard / June 17, 2008 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: No

Thanks Samkh for getting back to me.

So, if I were to configure my computer with VPN, the website would have to have the same configuration, IE in banking?

We have come such a long way in computing from my first TRS80 Model 4 to what I have on my lap right now, but the insecurity locks us up.

With your apparent intelligence, why have you not devised a program to make web browsing secure. It is all your fault you know... Happy

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Collapse -
Banking over wifi in public. Bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

Even with VPN there are too many issues here. I wonder how many will have to lose it all before this lesson is learned.

Collapse -
Hint: Think about video surveillance/
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

Forget about wifi hacks for a moment. Seems the old video surveillance tricks will do fine here.

Collapse -
Humm...
by plcard / June 18, 2008 10:01 PM PDT

I understand that Apple is not as apt to be hacked or get all those wonderful "gifts," like worms, etc. I have just about had it with Mr. Gates' creation and the crashes that go along with it. After all these years of using the various forms of his systems, I am considering dumping it and going Apple.

Does Apple have the same vulnerabilities as XP or Vista? I assume it does, but for the sake of this discussion, is Apple safer in a WiFi environment?

Collapse -
Today? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Humm...

I'd rather not detail all the exploits. If you don't want to be safe, then go right ahead.

Collapse -
Duh?
by plcard / June 19, 2008 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Today? No.

I may look dumb, but I'm not stupid. That's why I don't do anything but look at my email.

My only point is, I just can't believe someone hasn't developed a type of firewall that would protect you.

I haven't nor do I intent to day anything important on a WiFi connection. If I said something that made you feel differently, I apologize.

Have a great day, and as always, the discussions were interesting and enlightening.

In love with C-Net,
Patrick

Collapse -
Here's the reason it can't be secured.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2008 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Duh?
Collapse -
What's different?
by samkh / June 18, 2008 1:11 AM PDT

Would you go to a bank if you knew you could be robbed while standing at the cashier?

Collapse -
It Just Seems....
by plcard / June 18, 2008 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: What's different?

It is just hard for me to think that somebody hasn't come up with a program that would protect you on WiFi, especially with the popularity of the service. You can have a Big Mac, laze in your hotel room, or even have a donut all the while you are surfing the net .. unable to do business without somebody waltzing into your computer and stealing your identity.

I would hope the geeks of the computer world are working on just that. It is like having a rare bird show up in your yard, you have a beautiful digital camera, but alas, the battery is dead. It's of no use.

In other words, what y'all are saying is WiFi is useless, unless you want to check on your email and maybe even look at the weather. Such a shame!

Thanks for all your input. I'll just leave my puter at home on my next vacation. I can delete all the spam when I get home.

Have a great day,
Patrick

Collapse -
Overblown (and underblown) fears
by samkh / June 19, 2008 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: It Just Seems....

Been there done that, ie. bank online wired and WiFi.

I'm not telling you it's riskless just as I am telling you that you could die or be injured just by being alive. Live by whatever is your tolerance of risk. There are always bad guys which is why cops, military, Hollywood and computer/network security employees have jobs!

You cannot prevent someone from intercepting public internet packets but what and how soon they can do with the loot depends on your level of knowledge, prevention practice and computing habit. Same-o for pests on your computer. Anti-baddies exists today (until the next flaw is discovered) and many fears are overblown.

Why underblown? If your takeaway is you are already safe, your courage is unjustified and you should stop computing.

Would you really want someone to make it easy to compute safely and tell you that it is completely risk free?

With that, I hope you have a great day too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.