Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wifi Printing with Windows 98FE and Windows ME

Here goes...

I have a Linksys router and two computers. The first computer is an HP Desktop with Windows Vista and built in Wi-fi, which obviously connects easily to the network. The other computer I have is a Gateway Desktop with Windows 98FE, which I connect via a wireless ethernet bridge.

I am wondering if there is any way I could a wireless printer that would work with both computers. I know I won't have a problem with the Vista system, but the Wi-fi printers I have found require later versions of Windows than 98. So is there any Wi-fi printer that would do the trick?

Or is there any other way I could accomplish my task? (A print server or something?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi Printing with Windows 98FE and Windows ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi Printing with Windows 98FE and Windows ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anybody?

In reply to: Wifi Printing with Windows 98FE and Windows ME

???

Collapse -
I'd not be looking for printers

In reply to: Anybody?

but maybe a wireless print server that could could connect via USB cable to your printer of choice. These can connect to wireless routers but I'd look for one that's hard wired to it just for simplicity's sake. You can also get wireless routers with built in print servers that will connect to a variety of printers. This option might increase your chances of success because, what you really need, is a list of printers that still have drivers for you various operating systems. I'm not going to be able to recommend any specific pieces of hardware but google might be your best friend in your search. Look up wireless print servers and you'll get plenty of hits.

Collapse -
Just a rough idea

In reply to: I'd not be looking for printers

Something on this order

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=110_TEW-P21G&cat=46

It doesn't specify 98 first edition if that's what you have. You may need to fine and SE disk somewhere for this model but you may find one that works with the older version. One barrier is going to be creating the port as 98 doesn't do this on it's own as does XP.

Collapse -
try browsing vendors

In reply to: Wifi Printing with Windows 98FE and Windows ME

Hi, usually the vendors provide drivers for the older systems, if ur not sure just browse to find the wireless printers that support win98

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!