Computer Help forum

Question

WiFi network stops working when I connect my MacBook Pro

Dear fellows,

it's been a week since my internet connection is not working properly. At first, I thought it might have been some issue with the provider, but they checked the signals and so on and told me everything was fine.

Yesterday, though, I think I realised what's going on, despite being that so weird to me. The WiFi network works just fine until I try to connect my MacBook Pro OSX Mavericks to it. When I do it, the connection almost immediately goes down and starts oscillating between on and off until I reconnect my router and as long as my MacBook is not connected to it. My father's laptop (ASUS Windows 7) works perfectly fine. Does it make any sense?

I recently updated my 10.6.8 OSX Snow Leopard to Mavericks, so I think it might has something to do with it. We have a DSL connection that goes directly to a DLink router. When I tried to connect the DSL cable directly to my MacBook via ethernet it says "connected" but gets no internet access (maybe because I'm not sure how to set the ethernet DHCP etc up).

I would really appreciate any help to restabilish my internet connection on my MacBook Pro. In case I forgot to mention something important, please let me know.

Thank very much!

Kind regards,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WiFi network stops working when I connect my MacBook Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WiFi network stops working when I connect my MacBook Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
MBP wifi solution

In reply to: WiFi network stops working when I connect my MacBook Pro

Hello, did you managed to solve this problem?

Collapse -
That DL 524 again?

In reply to: MBP wifi solution

While I've solved this a few times, I always has to carry in a new router to show it working. At that point they usually buckle and accept it's the old router. On the web you find folk digging in and wanting a fix that doesn't have us replacing old gear.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification

In reply to: WiFi network stops working when I connect my MacBook Pro

Just to be completely clear: when I connect my MacBook Pro to the WiFi, the whole network stops working, unable to connect even with other devices, such as my dad's laptop.

Collapse -
Remember this did occur before.

In reply to: Clarification

There's a history of this issue with Microsoft's Vista. In short a lot of finger pointing but in that case, router firmware updates cured that. However there were many that thought MSFT goofed it. As no router details are here, I'd try another location such as a wifi hot spot. You can imagine that most free hot spots have already been fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
Router

In reply to: Remember this did occur before.

I have a DLink DI-524 router and I'm trying to find a firmware update to it, but I couldn't. It seems that DLink no longer provides firmwares for this model. Do you think that it's more likely that the router itself isn't updated or that I have to update/configure something on my MacBook?

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Router

But this one is one for the history books. The same thing happened a few times before and most folk want it to be other than the router. Sure you can try settings but if you check prior discussions, no clear "do this" other than try another router. The 524 is rather old.
Bob

Collapse -
It looks like it isn't the router

In reply to: Sorry

Well, it turns out that I have no clue of what is going on.
I connected my MacBook directly via ethernet cable to the modem and the internet works fine, until I try to share it via WiFi hotspot. When I turn the sharing on, the same old problem occurs and the net goes down.
I guess this is some OSX Mavericks problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. I was thinking of buying a new router, but it looks like that's not the real issue.

Anyway, thank you for your support so far!

Collapse -
That's different from above.

In reply to: It looks like it isn't the router

Remember that 802.11n in 40 MHz OFDM takes up almost all channels so you could squash a WiFi network easily. That issue is on the web so try it in 802.11g mode and at least 4 channels away from the current router.

And given the old router, even then I would not make any bets. I would swap the router with something current to see if that fixes it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.