Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wifi N 802.11n WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG??

by arch983 / May 19, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

If anyone can hear me out there, I would like to know why the n standard for wifi is absolutely nowhere to be seen in devices. It's on in computers and routers, but what happened to all the phones, and printers, etc...???? Please someone respond with something I don't know already.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi N 802.11n WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi N 802.11n WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just because.
by Coryphaeus / May 19, 2009 12:27 PM PDT

Printers and phones do not need "N".

Phones and printers function in the "G" range because they don't need the ~100 Mb/s speed offered by "N".

Collapse -
If you want it so fast...
by FrankQC / May 19, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

Buy a cellphone and hack its hardware. Replace some hardwares here or there.

As Cory said, we don't need N on wireless so far. G still works and is still stable.

Now, I believe Wireless-N isn't even perfected yet. I believe we're still in Draft-N. Can anyone comment on that?

Frank

Collapse -
wireless n
by arch983 / May 20, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

Come on guys... I know we're still in draft n and I know technically printers don't need n. But I disagree that phones don't. n is faster and more stable, and has a better reach, or least is suppose to be. But aside from all that, I am not asking if we need it! I am saying that we should move on and make wireless n phones, printers, music players, and other peripherals as it is pointless to have an n network with no n devices other than your computer!!! Am I the only one on this same page here?? I hate it when people tell me what I need or don't need, especially when I never asked you what I bloody need. I WANT there to be more n devices and am baffled as to the fact that there are none! How long has this draft n been out? Pretty damn long!! What I am asking is what is taking so long for devices/companies to implement it in them!!! Please, someone, anyone, answer my question properly.

I have a wireless n router in my house and it works flawlessly along with an n laptop. The problem is now I want everythin to work seamlessly on the same network. I don't want to look back, I want to move forward. Wireless G devices should be in the past! I shouldn't have to be looking at wireless G printers, smart phones, music players, etc... anymore!!!

I said my peace...

Collapse -
According to your reply you 'need' it other than 'want' it..
by FrankQC / May 20, 2009 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless n

If you want people to hurry up with the N, make yourself your own N devices... or else be quite and let IEEE finish it.

I'm happy that we don't have cellphones with wireless n because since it's draft n it's not perfected... So if I were to have a wifi-n cellphone and the internet cuts out because of an architecture glitch I would be mad. G is perfected beyond limits, that's why I'd rather have G in my phone rather than N.

I have an N router, 2 N laptops, 2 G laptops and honestly I don't find a huge difference in between. G is 54mbps and N is 130mbps and I can't figure out the difference -- they're equally as fast.

Collapse -
wireless n
by arch983 / May 20, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

thee reason you cant figure out the difference is because you are running your network on mixed mode. Your are not taking full advantage of the n network.

Now, I am running mine on full n mode and therefore I am getting a full blown 300 mbps. Also they have a wifi link 5300 and when paird with the proper router, you can achieve 430 mbps. Soon, they are saying once the n standard is perfected it will run around 600 mbps.

By the way, don't tell me to be quiet. The whole point of me making this thread is to discuss this topic, if you don't like it then leave. lol.

Collapse -
(NT) I didn't tell you to be quiet....
by FrankQC / May 20, 2009 5:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
300 Mb/s? Bull!
by Coryphaeus / May 20, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

It'll never happen. Advertised speeds are total hype based on the POSSIBLE speed that MIGHT be achieved in a laboratory. It'll never happen in real life.

Test it. Find a single file, something around a Gig in size. According to your 300 Mb/s it should take about 4 seconds to transfer that file.

Try it. Then back down on your bragging. I have a Gigabit hard wired network through a Gigabit router. It takes about 40 seconds to transfer a 1,000,000,000 bit file. Wireless? Don't make me laugh.

The reason there's no N for the devices you want is because that speed is not needed and there is no DEMAND for it.

Collapse -
Comment
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

As a new member you have certainly entered with attitude. This is what I see;

1] First post:

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG - Shouting.

"Please someone respond with something I don't know already". How are we supposed to know what you "know already"?

2] Subsequent posts:

"Am I the only one on this same page here??" - Is that an insult?

"I hate it when people tell me what I need or don't need" - Isn't that just the case? Most of us are able to get over that, and move on.

"...especially when I never asked you what I bloody need." - Swearing, even mild swearing, is against Forum Policy. Check it out. It's what you agreed to when you became a member.

"Please, someone, anyone, answer my question properly". - Perhaps you need to ask the providers themselves. I'm sure they would be able to explain why their development and deployment is so lacking.

Your posts are welcome, and these forums thrive on active and vibrant debate. But there are ways to discuss those things that interest you or concern you, without first raising the hackles of those who might respond.

Mark

Collapse -
cry me a river...
by arch983 / May 20, 2009 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Comment

are you going to cry about the way I post or something? lol. you write with such sensitivity lol. hey go fly a kite! lol

Collapse -
by FrankQC / May 20, 2009 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: cry me a river...

Show some respect. He's a helpful guy and doesn't need that childish behaviour.

Collapse -
No tears here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2009 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: cry me a river...

But since you have little control over your manners, I will help you.

Discussion locked.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?