Computer Help forum

General discussion

wifi is messing up

by jeffw1547 / May 19, 2010 1:54 PM PDT

ok so iv been working on this laptop for my friend some guy wiped it after it wasent working right for him. he then bought a systems recovery disk an d used them to put vista on it. ok now after that the computer was only connecting to the internet about half the time. we took it to a computer tech he said to wipe it and use a microsoft disk not an HP disk to put the OS on (vista is the os) he said the drivers were being downloaded and then after you would turn it off the computer it would want to restore to a previous point because it though that OS was messed up i suppose. that would then make it forget about the drivers.
i wipe it put vista vista back on it. now i downloaded all the stuff for drivers and support stuff from HP. now the device manager dosent show the WLAN and yet the HP wireless assistant does show it but when i try and enable it the device manager dosent let it. i i have the updates done i downloaded like 105 total but 25 failed and the other 80 worked fine. the device manager has a part where its labeled unknown devices it has something called network controller and in the hidden one it has been named just unknown device. these files seem to have nothing in it that i can tell.the NIC is working fine im just wondering why i can see the WLAN. also when i log into the account the brings up a prompt for me to install drivers for the network controller. it wont find it from the net and i put in the HP vista driver disk just to do it long shot and yeah it didnt work. i just want to know whats up with this it puzzles me.
any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Jeffrey Wortham

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wifi is messing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wifi is messing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
almost forgot
by jeffw1547 / May 19, 2010 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: wifi is messing up

the Laptop is a HP pavillion dv7-1247cl
its running vista home premium 64 bit (i used a ultimate to install at the school but put in that key for the Home premium and i guess it worked )
its got 4G ram
is there anything else you guys/girls need to know?

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / May 19, 2010 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: almost forgot

...Ultimate and premium = different keys.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?