Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wifi in an office

by Gakada / February 25, 2005 2:17 PM PST

My friend office have been setup using a WiFi for its network. Using SSID password and WEP as security, plus A MAC Address filter. Its works for all the employee... 8 of them, all using a laptop.

Hardware are, Linksys WRT54G, windows XP pro-sp2.

Problem is, the guess who bring their own laptop can not connect to the network and internet... unless someone type the SSID Password and inserting the Mac address manually in the router (but they don't have an IT guy...)

Question is, How to give a guess an access to network/internet... (without changing the router configuration back and forth...)

I thought of, having 2(TWO) Access Point, using different channel, but one of the AP is open (No security - but it will be turn ON/OFF as necessary)

-- If this configuration is possible, can both AP (different channel) still share a file or printer? --

Any Information or idea is appreciated

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wifi in an office
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wifi in an office
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AP with no security is a security hole!
by 44039 / February 25, 2005 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: Wifi in an office

Can they share a file or printer? Yes. However, if you have an AP with no security, then you've opened up your network. Handing out your SSID and WEP keys to guest is not ideal either, from a security stand point.
You could put a printer in the "DMZ" and have the guest come in on the DMZ side. Just keep in mind that any thing you allow guest to access from the DMZ, so can the rest of the world that is within RF range. So that makes file sharing a wee bit difficult. To keep the network secure, they will have to keep entering the MAC, WEP, and SSID.

Scott
http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

Collapse -
just to be sure, if I understand
by Gakada / February 25, 2005 4:44 PM PST

With two different Channel, I can still share file and printer.. Right?

i.e. read/write and print to a laptop that connected in different channel..

As for security, like I mention in my post, the 'open wifi network' is turn off/on as needed (when a there is a guess)

As for putting or letting the guess in DMZ zone, this involving AP/router configuration everytime a guess is coming.. correct?

Thank You

Collapse -
how about this.
by runscape / February 26, 2005 3:37 PM PST

Try not to use mac filtering in the router. Just use SSID and WEP security. So you can set up SSID and WEP for your guess without reconfig the router. This way still give you some protection, but not as good as with mac filter too.

Collapse -
I always employ MAC filtering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 11:13 PM PST

It's simple and effective. After we have the LAN/Wifi up then we can see how WEP/WAP/such works out. I wish it always worked, but some make/models don't work with all clients so we start with the MAC filtering and move up.

Bob

Collapse -
Network security?
by RD3.1 / March 3, 2005 5:54 AM PST

It is not clear in the description. Do you have a server network or is it all peer-to-peer. If a network server is included, the SSIS/WEP access without MAC filtering will let guests get only to the internet. No adjustments are needed for each new guest. Periodic changing of WEP key can maintain security.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.