Computer Help forum

General discussion

WiFi Headaches

by travlerduce / March 2, 2006 11:58 PM PST

I know that this may sound crazy to some, but it is the truth. About a year ago I purchased that Apple Airpor Express wireless base station and usesd it to share my cable internet connection in G. My family, along with myself, began suffering from severe headaches while it was on. We did not know that cause for the headaches, but was taking all the medication we could think of to relive the symptoms. I then read online that schools are sueing the board of education on the grounds that WiFi radiation was causing brain tumors. We then unpligged Airpot and used the internet the 'old fashioned' way. Our headaches went away. When we would leave the house while it was on, our headaches would go away. We then began using it on B which helped, and by using other base stations besides Apple, we had no headaches, even on G.

Are we crazy? Is it all in our head? Or could there have been a problem or glitch with the Apple base station to cause headaches?

Thanks,
-Kurt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WiFi Headaches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WiFi Headaches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me, it was caused...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi Headaches

By all the bad web pages. So I only read the better web pages like here and cnet.com

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Seems unlikely
by joesmithers06 / March 3, 2006 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi Headaches

For one, EVERYONE having headaches would be some pretty incredible odds. Especially given your spouse isn't directly related to you in any way, so the both of you having hyper-sensitivity to this sort of thing would be like winning the lottery, getting hit by lightning, and surviving a plane crash all in the same day. However, I've known of people who get headaches when the monitor refresh is less than 85Hz, even though the human eye shouldn't be able to perceive enough difference to cause headaches, and I'm prone to some right nasty buggers when the atmospheric pressure changes, so I won't rule anything out.

You might want to try and find out if your family has any sensitivity to the microwave or any 2.4GHz cordless phones you might have. You might even try plugging the airport base station in some time when no one is around, and not telling anyone. See if the headaches return. It's always possible, though unlikely seeming, that there's some flaw in your particular airport base station that's causing it to emit some sort of EM radiation beyond the wifi signal. I just can't imagine what that would be unless maybe the power supply is generating a stronger magnetic field than it should and you're sensitive to that. Even that seems iffy, since it'd require pretty close proximity, and should go away when you're outside a certain radius.

What I will say, is that so far there is absolutely no conclusive evidence that wifi equipment causes any sort of maladies like tumors. We are all bathed in dozens of different kinds of EM radiation 24/7, including radio waves from radio stations. The same sort of radiation emitted by wifi equipment, just at a lower frequency. Every time there's some sort of new technology, there's always a group of people who think it's going to bring about the end of the world. When radios were first put in cars, people though that they would be sufficiently distracting that it would vastly increase auto accidents. When the cordless phone was invented, no doubt someone claimed it would cause brain tumors. Never underestimate what a few influential hypochondriacs can do.

Ultimately, I would suggest consulting with an actual doctor to get an informed medical opinion. If you happen to be in the Chicago area, you might stop into the Diamond Headache Clinic. As the name suggests, it's a clinic specializing in headaches.

Collapse -
Yes Wifi headaches
by JonDylan12 / November 26, 2008 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Seems unlikely

I get the same wifi headaches and I had to disconnect it in the house. I then started to get headaches, nausea and a foggy headed feeling when I used cordless phones and my cell phone. After a lot of research I discovered that the condition is called electromagnetic sensitivity and it is just becoming better known. Look at ElectoSensitivity.org or EMFacts or Canada's Weep initiative. Trust yourself if you are in pain.
Jon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.