Question

wifi connection in laptop

My laptop ( Lenovo Model No. 2049, 3000 G410 series) was earlier never connected to a wifi network. Recently when it was tried to connect it was not possible. Someone suggested that the wifi driver might have not been installed.. Searched in google and found the following three options matching to the laptop model - (1) Broadcam wireless LAN driver (2) Intel wireless LAN driver and (3) Intel pro/wireless 3945 ABG LAN driver.
Now, which one shd. I downloaand install and is this sufficient or if anything else is required to be done for the wifi connection in the laptop..

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: wifi connection in laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: wifi connection in laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Odd idea. Drivers do not wear out.

Did you do something like accept a driver from Microsoft or not notice Norton/Kapersky expire?

There are dozens of reasons for this to fail, including the WiFi card has failed. Sometimes it's a hijacked WiFi spot. Did you try this at other locations?
Bob

- Collapse -
wifi connection in laptop

Thanks Bob. Accepting driver from Microsoft doesn't arise as there is no internet connection available being a remote place. Only wifi in the campus is available and that too can not be connected for this problem. Expiry of norton/kaspersky also doesn't arise. This cd not be tried in other location. The laptop is about 5/6 years' old. Is a separate wifi card required ? How do I know if there is a card existing or not ?

- Collapse -
AHA! CAMPUS WIFI.

There are many reasons for campus wifi to fail.
1. The laptop is not authorized to connect.
2. The laptop's wifi is not on or has failed.
3. I only listed the Norton and Kapersky. It's a sure bet other protection software will also be doing this nasty thing. Why nasty? In my opinion they have blown it big time. Rather than pop up and tell the owner it's been blocked due to the expiry they leave the owner wondering what happened. I've seen folk lose hundreds of bucks at a support counter over this.

4. I carry this under 8 buck thing if I suspect a bum WiFi card. It requires no Drivers on Windows 7.
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Wireless-Adapter-Antenna-54Mbps/dp/B0037G2BMY/

There are many others like that but if you get into friendly PC support you tend to carry this, a hard drive rescue cable and more in a kit.
Bob

- Collapse -
So it's time to read the manual.

What does the manual tell about WiFi? You're the onwer, so you should be able to tell. And - if you don't have a printed version, see if it happens to be on one of the CD's that came with the laptop. If not, you can search it on the Lenovo site (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/default.page#is) and give us a link to the manual.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: wireless

The driver you install should match the hardware installed in your laptop. If your research shows 3 different possibilities, I'd start with having a look in Device Manager to see which one you need and - even more important - if you need one (if it already is installed and there are no errors, there is no need to reinstall it).

But then, it might very well be possible that the WiFi is just switched off. I don't know particular model, so I can't tell you how to switch it on. Generally, it's one or more of this 3 options: (1) a physical switch, (2) a Fn-key or (3) a program in Start>Programs. It should be mentioned in your user manual. The advantages of switching it off are: (1) longer battery life, and (2) if you're in an airplane, they ask you.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Wireless issue

Does the adapter show in device manager? If so is there an error shown, usually a yellow asterisk or question mark. Also if it is newer L/T many use fn + f8 to turn on and off unless there is a physical switch, which some also have.

- Collapse -
wifi in laptop

Thanks pgc3. The laptop is about 5/6 years' old. Is a separate wifi card required ? How do I know if there is a card existing or not ?

- Collapse -
Re: how to know?

Pgc3 said: "Does the adapter show in device manager? If so is there an error shown, usually a yellow asterisk or question mark."

So he answered your question before you even asked it: ' "Does the adapter show in device manager?"

Kees

CNET Forums